Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Pokémon Wiki & Dream World Available Pokémon Discussion - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49733/t1552902-pok-mon-wiki-dream-world-available-pok-mon-discussion/

Author:   Dragoon
Date:   Jul 11, 10 at 3:12pm (PST)
Subject:   Pokémon Wiki & Dream World Available Pokémon Discussion
-------------------------------------------

pokemon.neo FAQ
[Updated: April 16, 2011]

Table of Contents
  1. Introduction
  2. What is a NeoWiki?
  3. Where is it?
  4. Who are the team members?
  5. When will it be finished?
  6. How can I contribute?
  7. How can I suggest something for the Wiki?
  8. Is there a list of what has to be done?
  9. What is a Staff Member's job on the Wiki?
  10. Who can I contact about the Wiki?
  11. Where can I go to learn more about NeoWikis?

1. Introduction

Hello there and welcome to the Pokemon NeoWiki FAQ. If you're reading through this thread, you obviously have at least a passing interest in what this is all about. If you're interested in learning more, feel free to read on. This post will be updated periodically by Relmutsie AN, Avalith and Origin if and when changes need to be made, as this is an ongoing project that will most likely have a few things change from time to time, so we'll do our best to keep you up to date with everything so you can keep contributing!

2. What is a NeoWiki?

A NeoWiki is, essentially, a subsite of Neoseeker that is worked on by any member of the community to provide the most accurate, up-to-date information of things going on in the world of a specific game franchise, in this case the world of Pokemon. Based around the MediaWiki software that runs on Wikipedia, the NeoWiki concept is a much more convienient means to have a database of information for all Neoseekers than Portals. Adding to that, there are, and will be, a lot more cooler tools and functions with the Wikis. If you want to see another example of a Wiki, check out the Final Fantasy, Pro Evolution Soccer or the Digimon Wikis. Taking on such a project like a wiki isn't easy, nor is it something you can sit down and do in a few hours. It takes many months of hard work from a team of Neoseeker members to achieve much, so all the help that the members can offer to us is appreciated, and is recognized by the Wiki Contributor tag you receive if you regularly contribute.

3. Where is it?

The main page is located here.

4. Who are the team members?

The pokemon.neo team is constantly changing, expanding and growing stronger. A list of current contributors can be found here.

In addition to our contributors, there are also 4 staff members.

Eon80
Lesley Pro_04
Dragoon
Avalith

And our wiki super admin supervisors are Avalith and Dragoon.

If you have a question about the project, please ask in this thread. While we'd like to field your questions via PM as well, it's not fair to everyone else that you get your question answered privately when a lot of other people may have the same question you do. At least one team member will check through here whenever there's a new post, so your question will be answered at some point. If someone checks through the thread and doesn't know the answer, they'll find someone on the team who does and let them know to answer your question. Alternatively, just edit your question into the Talk Page.

5. When will it be finished?

Your guess is as good as ours. Obviously, Pokemon is an ever growing, ever expanding, ever re-running series of games, movies, anime, merchandise, etc, so a Pokemon Wiki Contributors job is never done. Keeping on top of the work, and having a large base of contributors will make it go faster, but since new ideas for pages will, and should be, constantly springing up, we'll never get bored. And if, god forbid, Pokemon did shut down, we'd still have plenty to do for a long time.

6. How can I contribute?

Before you can start writing up your content, you need to understand the specific markup of a Wiki. Here is a handy editing guide that should send you on your way to start creating content. Another great editing guide is written up here, detailing the basics of wiki editing.

However, should you have any other questions regarding anything about editing, or even anything regarding the Wiki, simply post it in this thread; our staff and contributors will be more than happy to help.

7. How can I suggest something for the Wiki?

Simply post it in this thread. However, you do not need to run anything by us if you do not want to, you are free to contribute anywhere on the wiki any time, as long as you are not deleting satisfactory content, writing unsatisfactory content, or breaking any Neoseeker Rules, which are expected to be followed on the Wiki. But, if you want to run a major idea to us, feel free to use this thread or the Talk Page. If you have a suggestion for NeoWikis in general, please submit your ideas in this forum.

8. Is there a list of what has to be done?

Why yes, there is! It is located Help:Major Projects, and the projects are being performed by the members listed under the respective headings.

Possibly the most important project to us, at the moment, is implementing a new layout on the Pokémon Pages]http://pokemon.neoseeker.com/wiki/Category:Pokémon_Pages[/link]. As you can see, there is lots to be done! 5 members have reported that the layout takes about one hour to type out, at most. While this may seem daunting at first, it is really much easier than one would think - you will become used to it, and it will only get easier!

9. What is a Staff Member's job on the Wiki?

Staff members have a number of jobs across the wiki, one of them being contributing. That's right - just like our contributors, the staff members often make regular contributions to the wiki. Because of this, we are experienced in wiki editing, and therefore, one of our most important jobs is to help you.

In addition to this, staff members have some extra powers on wikis - the most relevant to contributors are probably moving pages and deleting pages. If you have a request to move or delete a page, contact a staff member on their talk page, PM them, or simply post your request in this thread.

• Dragoon is focusing on the administrative aspects of the wiki, reviewing edits made by our contributors for spam, false content and the like. Most importantly, he is here to guide our contributors.

10. Who can I contact about the Wiki?

This depends on what you'd like to talk with us about. If it's about contributing, then contact any staff member, or ask in this thread or the [link name=Talk Page. If it's a general question or an idea, post it here. If it's something else but still related to the wiki, feel free to contact any of the staff members listed and they'll tell you who you can talk to if they don't know the answer. If it is a serious matter then contact the staff members or a wiki super admin, such as Avalith.

11. Where can I go to learn more about NeoWikis?

You can visit the following forums;

• NeoWiki Best Practices and Help
  • NeoWiki Discussion, Suggestions and Feedback
  • NeoWiki Requests and Planning
  • NeoWiki Bugs

You can also visit the general Neoseeker wiki;

• NeoWiki

Or, you can visit any of the other 150+ NeoWikis!

• Special:Wikilist

[Notes:]
    Extreme credit goes to Avalith for all
    the markup and a large amount of content
    for this page. Credit also goes to Origin
    for maintaining this thread for a great
    deal of time. This page will be constantly
    updated, and is nowhere near perfect.
    Please alert Avalith or Origin of all the
    imperfections or problems and we will fix them
    as soon as possible. Thanks, and enjoy the
    Pokemon wiki, and keep contributing!

A huge thanks to Relmutsie AN to getting
    the wiki to what it is today.

Edit Log:

Added some more info to question 8.
    Updated staff.
    Partial update.
    New thread in Platinum forum.
    New thread in SoulSilver forum, and added more info.
    New Thread in Black Forum. Slight notice issued
    Updated staff portion. Origin is wiki admin, Avalith is super admin. -Av
    Updated staff listings and activity - Dragoon

[size=1][color=#666666]This message was edited on 2011-08-24T05:18:45-07:00.

Date:   Jul 11, 10 at 3:13pm (PST)
    Subject:   re: Pokémon Wiki - A Brand New Era
    [[we.pokemon:Dream World/Available Pokémon]]

Hey guys! This is where you can find all of the available Pokémon from the Dream World. As of now, the wiki only lists the ones with special abilities (or, we're working on it anyways), so if you know that there are others that can be found there without the special abilities, please tell us in this thread. Thanks.

This message was edited on 2011-08-24T02:59:03-07:00.

Author:   Fluroclad
    Date:   Jul 12, 10 at 10:35pm (PST)
    Subject:   re: Pokémon Wiki & Dream World Available Pokémon Discussion
    Once I get in to the swing of things on WoW I shall start contributing to Pokémon and may apply to come out of retirement.

Date:   Jul 23, 10 at 9:47am (PST)
    Quick note guys, please when adding information on new pokemon, you do actually add information and not just the infobox.

Thanks.

Date:   Aug 28, 10 at 12:46pm (PST)
    Just a quick update, I expect to no longer be wikistaff for this wiki until the end of January 2011.

See you guys soon!

Author:   Symphonic Abyss
    Date:   Sep 03, 10 at 3:23am (PST)
    SOME CHANGES IN THE STAFF YO

• Dragoon is temporarily gone. Info above. Details? PM the silly noob who abandoned me.

• Gotenks is no longer staff. He decided he was "uninterested" and too busy dictating all of his forums. And, he thinks that I'm absolutely uninterested in his love, when I think it's obvious that I'm totally not. Note: This MAY be a joke. 3=...maybe...well actually yeah the last part is a joke but Gotenks is still a silly jerk who's also my bff ilu like a brother my man <3

• Now, all questions go to me unless Dragoon changes the first post saying he's able to do it. I'm sure he'll redirect you to me though, since he's still a big jerk. My job as a Wikistaff member is to answer your questions and help you though.

Now, on a more personal and fun note that may or may not interest you guise.

Uhhh, Pokémon Black and White's coming out soon. Big rush of news. We've got 2 potential staff editors, Shayn is coming back, and I'm here. In my opinion (Origin may think differently), 4 people may or may not be enough to handle it, since we've all got lives. Right now, the Wiki Staff members are assigned sections, and they have to clean up that section on the wiki (this is only on Pokewiki so far 3=), and my job is Spinoffs. I've got UUWarrior (my little slave sidekick) to cover the rest. I'm gonna be busy for a while, but I'll answer questions or move pages or whatever for now. So, drop whatever bomb on me that you may have. It's my job.

Origin and Avacakes are handling the background stuff though, so I've got dis. Come to me for editing help and such, since Avakacel is a nub.

Date:   Sep 03, 10 at 7:57pm (PST)
    You love me really.

I would recommend all questions to be forwarded to Karis since I have no idea what the staff are planning/doing/thinking at this moment because I have no access to any of the information, nor am I allowed to. So really any question regarding the Pokemon wiki, see respective staff members.

However if you just need general wiki help (doesn't have to be pokewiki related), don't be a stranger. Drop me a PM and I'll help you out as best as I can!

Author:   Symphonic Abyss
    Date:   Dec 01, 10 at 4:36am (PST)
    Dragoon

You need to remove me from the first post.

Date:   Dec 01, 10 at 7:21am (PST)
    Done.

Author:   Eon80
    Date:   Jan 04, 11 at 5:44am (PST)
    Dragoon when you get the chance, you need to add me to the Staff list on the OP

Date:   Jan 04, 11 at 9:35am (PST)
    Congrats. Will do, although really you can just add yourself. Aha.

Author:   ObiNate
    Date:   Jan 04, 11 at 10:02am (PST)
    Is there a certain number of bytes required for it to show that i contributed to the wiki... cause its not showing... also once i get my copy of black i will try and help out as best i can...

Author:   Zero
    Date:   Jan 05, 11 at 1:30am (PST)
    quote ObiNate
    Is there a certain number of bytes required for it to show that i contributed to the wiki... cause its not showing... also once i get my copy of black i will try and help out as best i can...
    I'm not 100% sure, but I think you need at least 20 Wiki edits.

Author:   Eon80
    Date:   Jan 05, 11 at 7:54am (PST)
    quote ObiNate
    I can't remember the number of edits I had, but I remember that I had to have like 15,000 bytes worth of edits the first time I got the contributor tag. If you end up losing that contributor tag for whatever reason, depending on the total amount of bytes worth of edits you've made, it will be easier to regain the contributor tag.

Zero I think that's the minimum number of actual edits, but 15,000 bytes was the first bytes number I had to hit to get the contributor tag.

Author:   ObiNate
    Date:   Jan 05, 11 at 8:27am (PST)
    Thanks Eon... and thanks for the atempt Zero...
    I have a question...
    Why isn't there a page for the Ultra Ball? I havn't checked for the others but i was just searching random things in the wiki and there were no results for Ultra Ball... Is there a Reason or is it just not there yet?

• Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
    All Rights Reserved.