Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: switch axe SA discussion - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49455/t1614891-switch-axe-sa-discussion/

Author:   daddy
Date:   Jan 27, 11 at 5:32pm (PST)
Subject:   switch axe SA discussion
-------------------------------------------
I been using switch axe for awhile, but there are some deep understanding that I just discover so far.

1. Jinouga axe with sharpness +1 (handicraft) skill is the best set for axe. It will match any set even if the monsters is not weak to thunder at all. The reason for that is the power coating give 25% increase to raw. And jinouga axe with S+1 skill have a highest raw. It had tiny blue sharpness, but when you have S+1 skill, it had a biggest white bar. lol.

2. I used only 2 of main moves for axe are triangle in sword mode and burst thrust. Charge spirit bar and repeat. Axe mode will never match sword mode, so use it only when you have to. The burst thrust attk with fast triangle tapping will do more damage than 2 LBB+, so plan to do this attack all the time. I think this is a strongest combo in mh3rd.

Welcome to post any useful tips for axe.

Author:   mazereon
Date:   Jan 27, 11 at 7:30pm (PST)
Subject:   re: switch axe SA discussion
The Amatsu SA also uses a power phial, and it's got long blue with S+1. But you're right the Jinogua SA does a fraction more damage.

Whether the Burst attack does more damage than 2LBB+ depends on what you're hitting. 2 LBB+ has fixed damage, whereas a monster's cutting damage weakpoints vary. It won't often outdamage 2 LBB+.

Author:   zAnGetsUtAtz
Date:   Feb 03, 11 at 6:00am (PST)
Since we're in the topic of SwitchAxes, anyone tried Doboru's axe? It has a fatigue coating so I'm guessing you'll be able to tire out a monster with constant hitting (sword mode)...

Can anyone confirm if this easily tires out the monsters or just for show?

Date:   Feb 03, 11 at 3:55pm (PST)
quote zAnGetsUtAtz
Since we're in the topic of SwitchAxes, anyone tried Doboru's axe? It has a fatigue coating so I'm guessing you'll be able to tire out a monster with constant hitting (sword mode)...

Can anyone confirm if this easily tires out the monsters or just for show?
I got dobo axe when I started this topic. I tested it against jin's axe on 2 dobo quest. It is tired out the dobo just a little more than jin axe, but not much. It have 10 more raw than jin axe, but jin axe still beat the quest about 5 min faster. 25% of 225 raw is 56 more raw = 281 raw total with long white sharpness forever, it just out perform everything else. When jin axe do more damage, the monster get tired anyway, so fatigue did not benifit over power coating by much (in term of tired out the monster), IMO.

Here are the list of skills that I think best for axe. This is only my opinion, so welcome to debate. I list inn order from best to worse.

1. Sharpness +1 (handicraft). Most of axe sharpness go from tiny blue to big white sharpness. (except for Amatsu SA).
2. High Grade Earplug. This skill seem like defense skill, but actually it is one of the best offense skill due to free hits while monster scream. And axe do alot of damage, so they scream alot.
3. Focus (fast charge) skill to charge spirit bar faster. Able to use sword mode longer.
4. Sharpner skill is a must if you get only 5 slots left. But since the sharpness for axe last long enough. I downgrade it to the same level as stinger, awaken, RA, Attack up, and all element attk up.

5. Evade+, evade distance and other skills are not interest me. With all the skills above. I don't think, I have slots for anything else.

I know someone will argue about stigger skill here, but I think Maze was over value this skill. 2 bad things I see about stiger skill. 1st you have to hit the weak point, which is not likely with axe (I could say that I go for the leg most of the time). 2nd, if you are good and you nailed weak point all the time. The damage is 50% affinity, which is 12.5% raw damage. And remember 12.5% is the max, and impossible to hit weak point all the time.

By the way, aletreon's SA with big white sharpness and silver sol set seem pretty good right? I'm telling you, jin's SA with jhen or amatsu armor will outperformance this set on any monsters. Silver sol set is not the best for axe (maybe for other weapon types).

Author:   firestorm79
Date:   Feb 14, 11 at 2:21pm (PST)
Young love here. New to switch axe and am loving it. Just had a few questions...

1. What does boost coating do?
2. Does axe mode infinite combo do much damage, or are you better off just using an upswing combo or getting off a few sword mode hits in that time?
3. Don't get how phial burst works... Can someone break it down for me? I.e. How to do it, are there different levels, how to cancel out, do you really have to wait that long for it to explode or is there a shorter charged burst?
4. Don't get how the charge bar works. As far as I understand it the longer the bar the longer you can be in sword mode. Does it decreases as you use the sword or by simply having your weapon in sword mode? What does it mean when it says 'reload' because I can still use the sword? How come I can turn into sword when the car is below halfway?
5. How does focus work with SA? Does it charge back quickly when in axe mode? Or Does it take longer to diminish?

Thx!

Date:   Feb 14, 11 at 4:44pm (PST)
quote firestorm79
Young love here. New to switch axe and am loving it. Just had a few questions
1. I never hear boost coating, but I think you meant power coating. It increase your raw 25%. Best choice for axe.

2. Infinity combo, I assume you mean fast swing attk with circle butt that consuming stamina. I didn't use HP display lately, so I don't really know how much damage it does, but I believe it 2nd choice after the burst attk. Use this attk if you don't have enough charge bar to do burst attk. (Use it when the monster fall down, and your charge bar is empty).

3. I don't know how to make it shorter burst attk either, when I activate this attk, I just tap triangle butt like crazy, then take a hit from monster if I can't get out on time. lol. If I missed the target, then tap X butt like crazy to get out burst mode (not sure if there is better way to stop burst attk).

4. Charge bar work like this: (I ussually called spirit bar, but I use charge bar so you can understand better)

you cannot get in sword mode if less than half bar. You can reload the bar by presing R from axe mode, or R+circle+triangle from unsheath. You cannot reload, when the bar is more than half.

If you already in sword mode, you can use it all the way to empty, then auto switch to axe mode only when completely empty.

5. The charge bar increase slowly when you are not in sword mode (either unsheath, or in axe mode). When you in sword mode, the charge bar will not increase when unuse, and decrease when you swing.

Focus is very usefull for axe, it makes charge bar increase faster. Nothing to do with burst attk, or any attk. Just increase the charge bar faster when you run around or in axe mode.

Warning to new axe user, watch out for your charge bar if you use sword mode alot. If the charge bar below half and you try sword mode from usheath, you end up reload the bar in front of the monster. And guess what coming to your face?

Date:   Feb 14, 11 at 10:57pm (PST)
quote daddy
I never hear boost coating, but I think you meant power coating.
Thanks for all the info daddy.

But there definitely is boost coating. Maybe it's just my translation patch (team HGG), but it's not power coating. It's nt fatigue, dragon or para either... Element coating perhaps?

Author:   Xtreme59
Date:   Feb 15, 11 at 10:44am (PST)
High Grade Earplug? For me I rather use Evasion+2 cause it can avoid the shouts + evading most of the attacks...But, if you can't time the evade than HGE will do, too.

firestorm79: boost coating boosts your element!

Date:   Feb 15, 11 at 11:23am (PST)
quote Xtreme
firestorm79: boost coating boosts your element!
Agh... Figured as much through process of elimination... Thx.

Date:   Feb 15, 11 at 2:33pm (PST)
quote Xtreme
High Grade Earplug? For me I rather use Evasion+2 cause it can avoid the shouts + evading most of the attacks...But, if you can't time the evade than HGE will do, too.
2 bad things about evasion+2. First, when you roll out the roar, you will miss out at least half of the chances to attk the monster due to concentrate on the roll. 2nd, alot of time, when you attk the monsters. They scream when in pain, so you can't roll away due to sudden roar. And HGE is the best in this situation because you are right there, and just continue spam in attacks while it roar.

To me, evasion+2 is more of the defense, and HGE is more for increasing attack, good for spam.

Author:   Psycho5050
Date:   Feb 15, 11 at 9:12pm (PST)
quote firestorm79
Young love here. New to switch axe and am loving it. Just had a few questions...
1. What does boost coating do?
-It increases the element or status of the switch axe

2. Does axe mode infinite combo do much damage, or are you better off just using an upswing combo or getting off a few sword mode hits in that time?
-If you have power phial, Sword mode does more damage, anything else the upswing and downswing are the strongest attacks

3. Don't get how phial burst works... Can someone break it down for me? I.e. How to do it, are there different levels, how to cancel out, do you really have to wait that long for it to explode or is there a shorter charged burst?
-in Sword mode: Triangle and Circle at the same time. Keep pressing triangle until it forces you in axe mode. Circle is to Cancel. You can repeat the phial burst right after in order to do major damage. (Triple Phial Burst)
The only requirement is to have the charge bar over 50% in order for the SA to get into Sword Mode. No shorter Charge bursts either

4. Don't get how the charge bar works. As far as I understand it the longer the bar the longer you can be in sword mode. Does it decreases as you use the sword or by simply having your weapon in sword mode? What does it mean when it says 'reload' because I can still use the sword? How come I can turn into sword when the car is below halfway?
- It only decreases when you swing in sword mode and you can stay in sword mode until the bar runs completely out. Once the bar gets less than half the bar will turn red and say reload. If you switch back to axe mode you can reload by attempting to get into sword mode.

5. How does focus work with SA? Does it charge back quickly when in axe mode? Or Does it take longer to diminish?
-Focus does work with SA. The bar charges more quickly.

Thx!
-Welcome

Date:   Feb 16, 11 at 2:26pm (PST)
quote Psycho5050
upswing and downswing are the strongest attacks
downswing do about the same damage as sword mode with power coating, but slower attk and have to use upswing to chain the combo. Upswing slightly weaker than sword mode swing. So sword mode swing without power coating do about the same damage with axe upswing and downswing combo. Also, I believe the big monster with hard skin like ukanlos, ukantor.... are more sensitive to axe mode. (jhen also had hard skin but you had time to do burst attack, so sword mode superior on him).

quote Psycho5050
-in Sword mode: Triangle and Circle at the same time. Keep pressing triangle until it forces you in axe mode. Circle is to Cancel. You can repeat the phial burst right after in order to do major damage. (Triple Phial Burst)
Cool, I just learn something. I knew I missing this information. I will try the triple burst on jhen back to see if axe is most powerful weapon in 3rd. So far, I test hammer, axe and DS. DS is weakess and hammer is slightly stronger than axe. I have not test LS, lance, or gunlance. Are they worth to test out?

Author:   Xtreme59
Date:   Feb 17, 11 at 12:42pm (PST)
quote daddy
quote Xtreme
2 bad things about evasion+2. First, when you roll out the roar, you will miss out at least half of the chances to attk the monster due to concentrate on the roll. 2nd, alot of time, when you attk the monsters. They scream when in pain, so you can't roll away due to sudden roar. And HGE is the best in this situation because you are right there, and just continue spam in attacks while it roar.

To me, evasion+2 is more of the defense, and HGE is more for increasing attack, good for spam.
Well let's just say you have 50mins so you have a lot of time to use... I'm a hunter who uses the time not just to kill the monster fast because of death counts and maybe pots, too. This is just my opinion

Author:   Baconmaster
Date:   Apr 03, 11 at 6:04am (PST)
You can do a short charge burst by holding down and pressing triangle after pushing triangle and circle(in sword mode of course). Or you can push triangle and circle, and mash triangle for a few seconds and it will go off on its own. While mashing triangle you can also push down and it'll go off sooner.

Author:   Magaman75
Date:   Apr 07, 11 at 5:19pm (PST)
Here my SA armor set

A 2 sloted Wep(CritlDraw+3) i recomaned narga SA cuase of its high affinity

Ukanlos Fangs(CrtlDraw+3)
Diablos Mail S(CrtlDraw+3)
Silver Sol Vambraces(EvadeDist+4)
Silver Sol Tasset 2x(EvadeDist+1)
Silver Sol Greaves(Sharpness+4)

Talisman +5 Evade Dist and 3 slots(EvadeDist+4)

All and all it gives you
Evasion up
Unsheathe Crit
Exploiter
Sharp Sword
Health-10

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.