Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: League on Linux by way of Virtualbox - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/45610/t1755909-league-on-linux-by-way-of-virtualbox/

Author:   MegaBassMan
Date:   Aug 24, 12 at 6:12pm (PST)
Subject:   League on Linux by way of Virtualbox
-------------------------------------------
So my father plans to get a computer and install the Linux OS on it. Would League work if I installed VirtualBox and use Windows as a Guest OS? I ask this because this is about the only way I'll have access to League for about a year, which is when I'll get my own laptop, probably.

Author:   Lorx
Date:   Aug 24, 12 at 7:47pm (PST)
Subject:   re: League on Linux by way of Virtualbox
I thought people usually used Wine to play Windows games on Linux systems?

How well/not well Wine plays LoL

Author:   MegaBassMan
Date:   Aug 24, 12 at 8:48pm (PST)
I read up on that a little bit, but the bugs associated with it displease me. With VB, I'm hoping it runs better. If not, I'll deal with what I can get.

Author:   Fluroclad
Date:   Aug 25, 12 at 2:21am (PST)
It's all right, you do need to have a quite a bit of RAM though to play League, and run 2OS's at the same time.

I have 6GB RAM Ubuntu computer, and 4GB RAM Linux mint laptop both with VirtualBox and it slows down the computer so much.

Author:   Bass Ultra
Date:   Aug 26, 12 at 5:43am (PST)
Depends on how high end the computer is going to be.

You should be able to run Linux + Windows VM easily, but I don't know about running a game inside windows.

Author:   RazeHell
Date:   Aug 28, 12 at 8:56am (PST)
You're going to need probably at least 4 gigs of ram to run both the virtual machine and League, and even then, it'll be really slow with minimal fps.
The problem is that you're going to need at least that much to run the Linux OS at the same time.

I have a 4 gig RAM, and I can barely run Lubuntu (an extremely lightweight Linux distro) on my virtual machine, even when I allow a 2 gig allocation.

So unless your dad is getting a computer with at the very least 8 gigs of ram, you're probably not going to have much luck with LoL for a while.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.