Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Off-topic GD II - Nobody has a cool a hat as Caitlyn - page 23

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/45610/t1751710-off-topic-gd-ii-nobody-has-cool-hat-as-caitlyn/23.htm

Author:   Chaosfire
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:07pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Off-topic GD II - Nobody has a cool a hat as Caitlyn
-------------------------------------------
Diana or Rengar?

Author:   Grimdark
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:22pm (PST)
Hey guys, I'd like some feedback on my tank Volibear item setup. I'm aware they should be flexible but I'd still like it regardless.

Mercury Treads
Frozen Heart
Frozen Mallet
Thornmail
Force of Nature
Zhonya's Hourglass (the ability power increases his Majestic Roar and ultimate damage)

Author:   Twilight
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:50pm (PST)
DC Sniper

I think Randuin's is better than Thornmail personally. It would also let you go: boots 3 pots -> health crystal -> HoG for a more effective laning phase.

I don't play him, so I can't really comment on much else, but on bruisers in general, HoG is an amazing item.

Author:   WakeCraterWind
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:51pm (PST)
I'd say the Zhonya's is a whole lot of wasted gold on an active that actually detrimental to your team. If you pop that, that's 2 seconds of your team not having a tank. You are basically CCing yourself. If you really want Ability Power, I would recommend either Will of the Ancients, Deathfire Grasp (great for initiates, and your position as tank lets nail anyone you choose) or Abyssal Specter. Thornmail is also a situational item that rarely works for a full tank. Randuin's Omen is a much more efficient item for tanks, and in general a better item than Thornmail in most cases. I also see you have no Aegis, which you ABSOLUTELY should get if your team does not have one already. Make room in your build for it if you can.

Finally, see if you have room for a Spirit Visage somewhere in mid-to late game, as it synergizes extremely well with FoN. Generally if the game makes it to late game by then, as Shen, I sell it for something like a Guardian Angel.

FUN FACT: Spirit Visage buff's Volibear's passive. Trollol passively heal 34.5% hp? Half a Mundo Ult?

Author:   Twilight
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 7:59pm (PST)

Most supports nowadays build Aegis, so it's uneeded for a top laner to build one. At least, I always build one...

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 8:05pm (PST)
It really depends. Sometimes, your team just doesn't happen to have one. You have to make room in your build if your entire team is being mouth-breathers. He really should have a build for a scenario like that.

On second thought, Spirit Visage may not be the best item for Volibear here. He seems to have only one hp regen ability, and he doesn't benefit much from CDR.

Honestly, I don't see why Volibear should go tank. He's much better as a Tanky Bruiser, at least his kit seems to be that way. The only form of disruption Voli has is that fling, and in the low chance you nail someone that's not the tank, the enemy tank is just going to waltz in and CC three of your guys in return. Meanwhile, the enemy carries ignore you because you also deal no damage as Tank Voli, and slaughter your team.

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 8:12pm (PST)
Yeah I go boots + 3 pots, I didn't mention it because it'd be moot in the overall scheme. In Zhonya's defense, the two seconds would theoretically help me be unkillable while my passive activates (provided I can get it off...)

I picked Thornmail for the +100 armor and the unique passive. I'm definitely willing to trade out Zhonya's, but while Spirit Visage is great, the -50 armor hurts. Randuin's Omen seems like a better choice because I get an alternative active, more armor, and my health regen is already nuts.

I put the Mallet and Hourglass to give him some more power too.

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 8:23pm (PST)
Technically, insane health regen actually makes Spirit Visage SO much better. That's why you'll see it on Mundo and Warwick. I hesitate to call it good on Volibear because Voli's not going to get much out of CDR, and he has only one ability that affects HP regen (30% -> 34.5% is honestly not that big of a difference), while Mundo and WW are heavily reliant on HP regen for their survivability.

Honestly, Zhonya's is not choice for power. Look into Atma's for that, and the missing Armor you'll miss from not having an AP mid's survivablitiy item. I also don't see how an immediate 10% heal buff (2 seconds of passve) on a 120 sec 30% heal is going to help at all. Considering if your passive's not up at the same time as your Zhonya's, you've basically got a active that somehow makes you a worse tank. You're tying Zhonya's efficiency to a cooldown longer than itself.

Thornmail is designed to be a situational pick, building it simply gives enemies even less incentive to attack you, if they even have any in the first place. It's a lot of money sunk into what could be built towards something better, like Guardian Angel, Locket of the Iron Solari, or even a Warmog's.

Get Thornmail only if the enemy AD carry can somehow kill you before your team can kill him, and even then, it only benefits you. If the enemy AD is fed enough he can kill the tank for the lulz, he'll jump onto your carries and bruisers with even more glee, while you sit there with a Thornmail, totally ignored, wondering why your team is losing fights.

Author:   karrynx3
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 9:50pm (PST)

Author:   Chaosfire
Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 10:02pm (PST)
quote DC Sniper
Hey guys, I'd like some feedback on my tank Volibear item setup. I'm aware they should be flexible but I'd still like it regardless.

Mercury Treads
Frozen Heart
Frozen Mallet
Thornmail
Force of Nature
Zhonya's Hourglass (the ability power increases his Majestic Roar and ultimate damage)
Mercury Threads are a solid choice unless they have very little magic damage or crowd control, The Frozen Heart is very strong as well, the armor and cdr synergizes well. Frozen Mallet is a good choice so you can really stick to your target. Thornmail isn't that strong unless they have multiple AD carries, and you're really getting focused. I'd reccomend Randuin's Omen, which provides armor, health, cdr, and regen. The unique passive is amazing as well. The force of nature is a strong item if they have alot of magic damage. I'd suggest a wits end if they don't have a significant amount of magic damage. Zhonya's isn't the best item for a tank, I'd leave that slot open for a situational item.

Date:   Sep 28, 12 at 10:52pm (PST)
quote karrynx3
    Having people constantly cry about everyone's mistakes but their own is getting annoying.. Discourages me and I hardly want to play these days

Pre-make. Now all that crying can be converted into good 'ol trash talk.

Author:   RazeHell
Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 11:09am (PST)
quote MegaBassMan
I love RazeHell. 3 straight wins because he's a pro. c:
Oh stahp.

I was actually going 8 wins in a row.
And then that all changed when I started queuing with my roommate.

Author:   MegaBassMan
Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 12:43pm (PST)
Aw, that sucks. I play fairly well when I go AP mid when I play normals.

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 10:05pm (PST)
I have learned something today. In Search and Destroy, I would always rank high in kills because I'm naturally great at it, but I wouldn't win every game. From time to time in League, I would completely murder the enemy team but we would still lose. I have discovered the secret! It is team spirit.

An enemy Rengar was kicking everyone's ass earlygame, and playing as Amumu, I had not quite set up my Frozen Heart, so I was not quite as useful yet and my team was quickly falling apart at the 16 minute mark. Being the natural leader I am, I told them to focus Rengar and stay together, and they did with some exceptions. We focused him so much that he bought a Guardian Angel to try and prevent that (in one instance, he triggered his ultimate as his revive triggered, leading to a good escape). As the tank and commander of this squad of what must be dog shit, I eventually got my set completed (Sorceror's Shoes, Randuin's Omen, Frozen Heart, Thornmail, Rabadon's Deathcap, and Zhonya's Hourglass) and my obvious talent really showed through as I ended the game 18/16/30 and only one other player on my team was of questionable score. We won that game, despite Rengar ending with 40 kills, and having killed Kha'Zix for the passive bonus.

tl;dr I was the reason we won that game, and I fear I may be forced to tank every game because I simply can't rely on anyone else while being a carry.

Also, leveled up to 28, got my first win of the day bonus as it refreshed, and am feeling great.

Author:   ShadowCrystallux
Date:   Sep 30, 12 at 1:24am (PST)
Rengar ass-whooping early game? Only if AP. His early game is horrific. Hell, old katarina's early game was better in my opinion.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.