Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Off-topic GD II - Nobody has a cool a hat as Caitlyn - page 16

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/45610/t1751710-off-topic-gd-ii-nobody-has-cool-hat-as-caitlyn/16.htm

Author:   ShadowCrystallux
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 2:53am (PST)
Subject:   re: Off-topic GD II - Nobody has a cool a hat as Caitlyn
-------------------------------------------
Sounds like a good tourney . You all suck at league of legends! Discuss. (I am joking btw )

Author:   Grimdark
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 4:35am (PST)
News flash:

Draft pick is the same as blind pick in terms of random player intelligence (hint: it isn't high) *shock and awe*

Please tell me at level 30 people play to win in ranked queues...

Author:   ShadowCrystallux
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 8:17am (PST)
quote DC Sniper
Good luck avoiding elo hell. Even some of the most experienced players (and I'm not saying that is I) get stuck in hell for months.

Author:   A Wind Powered Moose
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 10:21am (PST)
Nothing more frustrating than shitting on my lane, being 12/3/11, and then losing us the game by getting caught by a double flash stun from Taric and Pantheon at Baron.

No one else came and I tried to be the hero, but that range was more than I anticipated.

Hurts, mayng.

Author:   Lorx
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 1:49pm (PST)
quote DC Sniper
News flash:

Draft pick is the same as blind pick in terms of random player intelligence (hint: it isn't high) *shock and awe*

Nope, sorry. Arguably more trolls than pre-lv30 queues.

Author:   Fury
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 2:35pm (PST)
Is it true you have an invisible ELO in unranked playlists? For a long time I thought it just matched you based on your level until 30, then it would just be random which 30s you got paired with.

Also, does the system try to match groups together? Like a team of 5 will always play a team of 5? If so, kind of sucks knowing you're just making it harder on yourself by playing with friends XD.

Author:   BluAnimal
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 3:07pm (PST)
As far as the hidden ELO goes I don't think there is one, nor do I believe there is one.

However matching on groups it has the two following criterias:
1. It will always match a group of 4 or 5 with another group of 4 or 5. So say a team of 5 plays, they'll probably play either a team of 5, or a team of 4 and a random.

2. It will try to put duo groups together. So say 2 friends are on one team with 3 randoms, the other team will most likely have a 2 or 3 man group.

So in other words, yes, it tries to match based on pre-game teams.

Author:   karrynx3
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 3:34pm (PST)

Author:   WakeCraterWind
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 3:45pm (PST)
quote Fury
Is it true you have an invisible ELO in unranked playlists? For a long time I thought it just matched you based on your level until 30, then it would just be random which 30s you got paired with.

Also, does the system try to match groups together? Like a team of 5 will always play a team of 5? If so, kind of sucks knowing you're just making it harder on yourself by playing with friends XD.
I do think there is a hidden elo. One thing I noticed in my smurfs, especially my lowest smurf that I played on, is that I would consistently play against one or two extremely consistent, good players, and the rest of both teams would be crap. I'd be lucky if there was any other such person on my team. My understanding is that given the wide range of skill at the lower levels (some have played Dota for years, some have apparently just touched a computer for the first time) this is how they give everyone largely a consistent experience.

Author:   Inuyasha
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 4:01pm (PST)
Yes, there is a hidden Elo for Normals, called Match Making Rating (MMR).

Works differently than Elo, but the same rule still stands: If you win more than you lose, you'll play better players.

Nothing you can do about trolls though. Just last night dodged two ranked games because an idiot insisted he was mid and locked in though I had called it, asked "politely", and had the priority pick.

Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 5:12pm (PST)
That's not nearly as bad compared to having a troll Team Leader in Draft who bans Tristana and then goes afk for the next two bans- and then picks Soraka. I got a teammate to queue dodge and he was mid next game as Soraka and thank GOD we forced that dodge.

What irks me is that if the ban timer runs out, a random champion isn't banned.

Author:   MegaBassMan
Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 5:21pm (PST)
quote DC Sniper
What irks me is that if the ban timer runs out, a random champion isn't banned.
So that wasn't a glitch. I wondered why our team didn't have a third ban the last game I played.

Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 5:35pm (PST)
That's a tactic you'll see by some teams/players in ranked, if they have first pick they'll leave all the powerful champions open so the enemy team can only ban 3 of them and therefore they get a nice first pick.

It's not a strong tactic because if the opposite team does the same, then the first team gets one strong pick while they get the next two.

It also wouldn't make sense for a random champion to be banned, why should bans be required? I personally find all three of my bans very essential, but if someone feels like they can handle all the champions, including the powerful ones, then why should they have to ban some random champion to compensate, especially with the lack of communication in ranked, the random ban could be another players main champion.

Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 5:42pm (PST)
quote Inuyasha
It also wouldn't make sense for a random champion to be banned, why should bans be required? I personally find all three of my bans very essential, but if someone feels like they can handle all the champions, including the powerful ones, then why should they have to ban some random champion to compensate, especially with the lack of communication in ranked, the random ban could be another players main champion.[/size][/color]
That's why you announce who you intend to play as, but more importantly, because if you go afk in the champion select for the 90 seconds, it assigns you a random champion.

People should be good with multiple characters, and shouldn't worry if one is banned. When Akali is banned I just run Teemo or someone else just as annoying.

Date:   Sep 20, 12 at 5:46pm (PST)
I uncommonly see people call there lanes, I never see people claim who they want to play as.

Also, you shouldn't go into a ranked game wanting to play one champion, unless you have first pick. You should be open to counter-pick or find synergy with your team. If someone randomly bans Katarina and the enemy picks Karthus, one of Karthus' major counters is now gone, and if a particular person on your team loves the Kat vs Karth match, then you just lost out on a possibly won lane.

People don't communicate as much as they should, and that's not going to change even for fear of them randomly losing a champion off of a ban.

Giving you a random champion to play as is a lot different than giving you a random ban. To play this game you need to have a champion, but not bans.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.