Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: [Public Journal] Darknet - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/45339/t1785224-public-journal-darknet/

Author:   Darknet
Date:   Oct 31, 12 at 4:37pm (PST)
Subject:   [Public Journal] Darknet
-------------------------------------------
Height: 6'1
Weight: 257lbs

Goal:

Get lean, get mean.

Workout Length

7 Weeks (started on Sept 24th)

Diet:

Breakfast
4 Eggs and Protein Shake
700 calories, 62g of protein
Snack:
Protein Meal Bar
180 calories, 10g of protein
Lunch/Afterworkout:
Protein Shake
300 calories, 60g of protein
Snack:
Protein Meal Bar:
180 calories, 10g of protein
Dinner:
Varies
700-900 calories, 60g of protein

Total:
2100-2200 calories, 200g of protein

Workout
all pro's Beginner Workout

Mon, Wed, Fri

Bench: 150lbs
Bicep Curl: 30lbs
Tricep Extension: 60lbs
Low Row: 50lbs
Squats: 190lbs
Ab Machine: 90lbs
Calves: 115lbs

Tues, Thur

Elliptical 30-45 mins

Progress:

I have a crappy phone and the lighting in that room is terrible. Nonetheless, I have A LOT of work to do.

This message was edited on 2012-11-12T13:54:44-08:00.

Author:   HBK619
Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 3:38pm (PST)
Subject:   re: [Public Journal] Darknet
Good to see you've started a log, tracking your workouts and food compliance along with weekly waist measurements will add a lot of accountability and fast forward your results. It doesn't seem like you're doing the beginner workout though? There's no heavy leg exercises or hamstring exercises, no overhead press...any reason for these changes?

Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 3:44pm (PST)
quote HBK619
Good to see you've started a log, tracking your workouts and food compliance along with weekly waist measurements will add a lot of accountability and fast forward your results. It doesn't seem like you're doing the beginner workout though? There's no heavy leg exercises or hamstring exercises, no overhead press...any reason for these changes?
I figured, why not do his workout but with my legs as well?

Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 3:50pm (PST)
Why wouldn't you train your legs?

There's heaps of reasons to train legs, stronger legs lets you use more weight on back exercises like rows and heavy pulls, to build a broad back that gives you a V-shape and makes your waist look smaller and your shoulders wider, it gives you a balanced physique instead of looking like a lightbulb, a strong and sexy butt is very important to women, much more than guys think, training legs burns a lot of calories and makes upper body exercises feel easy in comparison....and on and on....

Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 4:33pm (PST)
But I am working on my legs!

I'm so confused as to what you want from me! I'm doing squats and calves!

This message was edited on 2012-11-01T17:38:17-07:00.

Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 7:01pm (PST)
One legged squats and calves? That's not really working the legs much. Try to squat, RDL and do calves. Also add in some overhead pressing (barbell press, db presses etc) and horizontal rowing (DB bentover rows, chest supported rows etc).

Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 8:25pm (PST)
They don't work? Because those one legged squat on the squat machine burn pretty badly.

But I'll take your word for it.

This message was edited on 2012-11-01T20:35:58-07:00.

Date:   Nov 01, 12 at 10:22pm (PST)
Lots of things 'work' for different people, at different times and in different ways. Single leg stuff is good for mobility, symmetry and variety, but I wouldn't make it your #1 leg exercise because you need to do twice as many sets to get the same effect, it doesn't strengthen your whole body and the amount of weight you can use will always be limited by stability, no one will ever single leg squat or leg press or whatever 200kg, so the ultimate potential of the exercise is limited.

85-95% of your results will come from diligent and consistent application of a few basic things, showing up at the gym regularly, eating a caloric surplus or deficit (based on goals), getting enough protein, adding weight/reps/sets to some basic movements (squat, bench, dead, row, chin, dip, press, curl, hip thrust, abs), doing some cardio and doing this for months and years. Then the extra 5-15% can be milked out with tweaks to nutrition, more exotic warmups, assistance exercises, training styles etc, but always remember that hard work on the basics is what gets you to where you want to go, and the esoteric stuff can be fun to read about and try at the end of a workout, but if you're not getting leaner, stronger, muscular etc, ensure that you have the basics in place.

Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 4:33am (PST)
But how can I do cardio when I'm weight lifting? I thought we established from previous discussions that was a bad idea now that I'm lifting with my legs.

Author:   DevilDogDave
Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 3:01pm (PST)
Good leg training and cardio is easy. Get a weight vest. Run for a mile with 20+ extra pounds on you. Your legs will certainly feel the burn and your cardio gets a beating too. Things like Lunges, Star Jumpers and suicides also build leg strength and cardio. Throwing those into a leg routine will certainly add some burn to your day. Just be sure to stretch well before the lunges, those can be mean.

Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 4:10pm (PST)
quote Darknet
But how can I do cardio when I'm weight lifting? I thought we established from previous discussions that was a bad idea now that I'm lifting with my legs.
I thought we went over that? You can do full body m/w/f with cardio tu/thu or if you wanted you could do upper body mon and fri, lower body weights wed, cardio tu/thu? It will take a bit of time to adapt, but as long as you start of easily and ramp up gradually you'll be fine. Even if you didn't do 'cardio' formally, you would still be doing lower body weights, and then walking around etc in day-to-day life, so it's no different than that.

quote DevilDogDave
Good leg training and cardio is easy. Get a weight vest. Run for a mile with 20+ extra pounds on you. Your legs will certainly feel the burn and your cardio gets a beating too. Things like Lunges, Star Jumpers and suicides also build leg strength and cardio. Throwing those into a leg routine will certainly add some burn to your day. Just be sure to stretch well before the lunges, those can be mean.
For someone who is already overweight, running is a poor idea usually, adding a weight vest on top of that is an even worse idea, as the joints don't need any extra stress. But if you're lean a weight vest can be good for walking and calisthenics, but I wouldn't do stuff like running and star jumps with it.

Author:   DevilDogDave
Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 4:17pm (PST)
Actually yeah, You're Def right HBK, Sometimes my Marine side kicks in. I did all that in Basic so it naturally made sense to me. I forget training is a touch different than Civvy life. I still think Weighted lunges, or body weight lunges are a must have on legs though...I love those things. Anyway, shutting up now.

Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 4:26pm (PST)
I may do some cycling or some kind of machine that is zero impact.

Date:   Nov 02, 12 at 5:41pm (PST)
No worries Dave, we all have occasional brain farts.

quote Darknet
I may do some cycling or some kind of machine that is zero impact.
Cycling, rowing, swimming, elliptical, incline walking, stairmaster, versaclimber, airdyne....heaps and heaps of low impact options available.

Date:   Nov 05, 12 at 7:10am (PST)
quote HBK619
Cycling, rowing, swimming, elliptical, incline walking, stairmaster, versaclimber, airdyne....heaps and heaps of low impact options available.
Then I'll do elliptical for 30-45 minutes on Tues and Thur. Tone dat ass and what not.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.