Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: How Sweet Is NBA LIVE 2003???? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/4474/t150252-how-sweet-nba-live-2003/

Author:   Vampire Lestat
Date:   Nov 14, 02 at 3:08pm (PST)
Subject:   How Sweet Is NBA LIVE 2003????
-------------------------------------------
hey yo, starting this threat now. anyways i aint played the game yet cause i am waiting for my copy to be shipped to me. Anyone who played it let me know wat to expect, hope i aint disappointed, cause i live all the way in the caribbean..... and i been waiting since 2002 for a fresh copy since EA didnt come out with nba live 2002 for PC, link me up man.

Author:   ectobuilder
Date:   Nov 14, 02 at 8:26pm (PST)
Subject:   re: How Sweet Is NBA LIVE 2003????
I have NBA Live 2003 for my PC and I have to say that there are some improvements and there are some drawbacks.

DRAWBACKS:

CONTROLS: I am not sure if "Freestyle Controls" are applicable to the PC version (I know it is for the game consoles) but they automatically combine one defensive move with one offensive move, only Turbo is a global button in 2003. In previous versions, we were able to combine whichever offensive move with a defensive move as one button, but in 2003 this is not allowed. I hate games that limits the options of game users, and this is a GREAT example of one.

CAMERA ANGLES:
I love using the PRESS CAMERA ANGLE because it gives a great overview of the front and backcourt, but their PRESS in 2003 has TOO MUCH PARALAX. Thus it is hard to see farthest part of the court since it looks too small due to the paralax. Therefore, in order to see it clearer you need to zoom in more using the ZOOM OPTION. But this defeats the purpose since I want to see more of the court.
I still do not understand why EA does not include more camera options for its customers. Again, this is another GREAT example of limiting the options for tje users.

BOTH THE CAMERA ANGLES AND CONTROLS MAKE IT VERY HARD TO PLAY NBA LIVE 2003.

POSITIVES:

GRAPHICS: EA is finally coming around in the graphics area. Thanks to Sega's NBA 2k series, EA also has included the little details that NBA fans identify with their favorite players with. For example, Iverson's or Jason Williams tatoots and the equipment they wear such as Pierce's headband or Iverson's arm band and Nash even has his wacky hair and Brian Grant has his too! Looks GOOOOOOD
This also makes the Create-A-Player option waaaay better as in the NBA Live 2001 version, the player GEAR option was eliminated. At least EA is gving us more options in this department!!!

OVERALL: I would prefer the gameplay of NBA Live 2001 or 2000 but the graphics of NBA Live 2003 are better.

So a give and take GRAPHICS vs GAMEPLAY. Personally I would go for GAMEPLAY because that is what basketball is all about.

Date:   Nov 15, 02 at 8:06am (PST)
damn it! so wat u are saying is that the controls are F-ed up? shit. I loved that button controllin style of 2000/1 cause like u said u know this is for this when on off. and when on def. give me an overall rating out of 10. trust me, i love nba live so much i am bound to get accustom to the drawbacks and make the best of them.

Lestat
*A True Sniper Needs One Shot, For One Kill. If U meet Me in battle, u are already Dead!!!"

Author:   KFC_Or_Bust
Date:   Nov 15, 02 at 9:27am (PST)
Ectobuilder, if you read this please come back to Loungin' and post! Also check your NeoPM's! (Flashing icon at the top of your screen)

Click the link under my name to get to Loungin'.

Date:   Nov 16, 02 at 6:41am (PST)
KFC_Or_Bust:

What is a neoPM?

NBA Live 2003:

Also I forgot to mention the players' Jerseys (the shirts not shorts) do not seem to be well lit by the light thus the shirts look darker than the shorts. And the clock backboard does not seem to be working. I have no idea why this is so. EA's website shows these two features working properly but for me it isn't. If anyone knows how I can solve this let me knos.

-thanks

Author:   BigBaller21
Date:   Nov 17, 02 at 11:51pm (PST)
Whoever said whatever about live is on crack! It is absoulutley awesome. So what if the turbo and whatever moves aren't allowed? Get a dual analog controller! Then tell me the game isn't spectacular. the amount of freedom with the crossover is ridiculous, sure the camera angles could have been better but even that can't stop this game from being a 10. And it is more detailed than the PS2 version(if you have a powerful PC). The cut scenes, monster dunks where you can actually bump players out of your way, the sweet alley oops... Just get this game! It is the only game I have bought this year(I got Madden otherwise...heh heh) and it was worth the 50 or so dollars invested in the game(39.95) and a dual analog controller(14.95). please believe it! GO RAPTORS!

Date:   Nov 18, 02 at 6:24am (PST)
The game is solid, it definitely mimics real life basketball in the nba, I especially like how they involve defensive play more than they did in past NBA Live versions.

But since the user's way of accessing these game features is via the game controls and via what he sees on the screen.

And unfortunately, if nba live cannot allow the uer to customize the controls to his/her preference, it GREATLY hinders the effectiveness of the game. And if the camera angle is so hard to see, then that ALSO hinders the effectiveness of the game.

NBA Live does do this hindering and if they hadn't done so, then I would call this the GREATEST NBA LIVE GAME EVER.

But I cannot because of the reasons cited above.

This message was edited by ectobuilder on Nov 18 2002.

Date:   Nov 23, 02 at 11:14pm (PST)
yeh well i will be gettin my cd by friday if all goes well however the demo got my mouth watering like a river. the only draw back is the angles could be just a lil bit better but already thru a demo i've already conquered the angles, this game is off the hook. and the dunks, DAMN!!! like sumone said previously, anybody who thinks this game is not a 10 is CRAZY! i'm come back here and whooop sumbody over the net. (when i get my cd) one on one anyone??????

Author:   billygunn
Date:   Nov 28, 02 at 4:12am (PST)
Does the game look really good and if you download directx then will the graphics be little better

Date:   Nov 28, 02 at 5:02am (PST)
not sure about the drivers side of things.

But the game does look good, the graphics remind me of the NBA Live 2000 version.

It seems like the NBA Live series has two versions since it moved from 2D Sprites to 3D Polygons with one exception, the 1996 version. If you were to examine the gameplay and graphics, NBA Live 98 and 2001 are very similar and NBA Live 2000 was different than the before mentioned versions. And it seems like NBA Live 2003 has the graphics engine of the 2000 version and the gameplay is a hybrid of the 2000 and 2001 and 98 versions (i.e. the spinmoves look and feel very much like the 98 version but the player movement reminds me of the 2000 version). The only thing unique about the 2003 version is the controls, hence the freestyle controls. But even if you do not use the freestyle controls (I am not sure if it is available on the PC version) you will find that the controls are less flexible, this is not reminiscent of past NBA Live series. Also the camera angles remind me of the 1996 version where an increase in paralax can be found.

But if you do not have a fast video card (mine is a 32MB GeForce256 DDR running on a PIII933) then you cannot turn up the details, but if you find the right balance in the detail settings, it can look good still. For sure, you need to keep the real-time lighting ON! It looks too dull without the real-time lighting - hence a GPU would help here.

Author:   billygunn
Date:   Nov 28, 02 at 7:51pm (PST)
Whats a video card.
And do you know whats a directx. and does it make your graphics better for games.

Author:   Japs
Date:   Feb 25, 03 at 8:31pm (PST)
could anyoneone give me the serial number of nba live 2003??

Author:   super saiyan dan 1
Date:   Apr 24, 03 at 12:36pm (PST)
af3wqfvhaq3hq6e4

Author:   JMELLO12
Date:   Jan 04, 04 at 6:48am (PST)
Somebody face me!!!!!!!!!!! give me your ip adress so we can connect!

Author:   ahv
Date:   Apr 18, 04 at 1:45pm (PST)
plz give me to nba 2003.:[color=blue][/color][b][/b]

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.