Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Hideo Kojima's original idea for Metal Gear Solid 5 featured The Boss, Cobra unit. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/44371/t1703232-hideo-kojimas-original-idea-for-metal-gear-solid-5-featured-boss-cobra-unit/

Author:   Dantess26
Date:   Dec 14, 11 at 6:31pm (PST)
Subject:   Hideo Kojima's original idea for Metal Gear Solid 5 featured The Boss, Cobra unit.
-------------------------------------------
Metal Gear mastermind Hideo Kojima has let slip that one of the original ideas floating around for a potential Metal Gear Solid 5 centred on The Boss and the legendary Cobra unit during the invasion of Normandy.

Speaking in the recent Metal Gear Rising vidoc, Kojima revealed that the idea was pitched to his development team after Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots shipped in summer 2008.

“Metal Gear Solid 4 wrapped up in 2008, and the dev team took post-project time off right after that. But, of course, we were in a situation where we had to start planning for MGS5. So I started coming up with several ideas,” he commented.

“I had several ideas for a game featuring The Boss and the Cobra Unit during the invasion of Normandy. I then handed these plans over to the team so they could take over and make the game. I presented my ideas to the team during the summer of 2008. However, simply dropping MGS5 on the younger staff members was a bit heavy and there was resistance to doing it without my involvement.”

The Boss and the Cobra unit featured in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, with the latter serving as boss battles for Naked Snake. The unit was established in World War II by The Boss, and took part in a mission during the Normandy landings, as revealed during the climax of Snake Eater.

Kojima went on to reveal he was working on a new project while pitching his idea for MGS5, and was keen to have his staff take charge of the new title. However, this idea was met with some resistance from the team, and it was then that the idea of Metal Gear Rising was conceived.

“At the time, I was working on a new project. It was during the planning phase of that project and I wanted the staff to take charge of the new title,” Kojima explained.

“There was resistance to that idea, though. It was then that someone proposed the idea for what would become Rising. It was a game based on Raiden’s story, since MGS5 had too much weight to it. It would be a side story that the team felt more comfortable working with.”

Metal Gear Solid 5 has yet to be announced, though Kojima has said he is happy to continue to make new games in the series provided fans want them.

Source

^^^ I'd pay good money to see this come to fruition!

Author:   Bri
Date:   Dec 14, 11 at 10:06pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Hideo Kojima's original idea for Metal Gear Solid 5 featured The Boss, Cobra unit.
Not gonna lie, while I like Rising and what has been revealed of it, I'd trade that in an INSTANT for a game like this.

Hopefully the idea isn't trashed for good, I'd love to see it.

Author:   Crazy Dave
Date:   Dec 15, 11 at 3:13pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Hideo Kojima's original idea for Metal Gear Solid 5 featured The Boss, Cobra unit.
Another breath-taking MSG title if it really happens. I really like MGS3, the idea of playing as The Boss in the prequel is definitely thrilling! More in-depth CQC action battle please?

Author:   Inhale
Date:   Dec 22, 11 at 7:05pm (PST)
No more solid snake though. Snake and david hayter (sp) made metal gear.

Author:   DragonMaster Dyne
Date:   Dec 22, 11 at 7:08pm (PST)
quote Sly
True.

I say "*bleep* it" and just do a spin-off type series with a prime-conditioned Solid Snake. New storyline and enemies.

Author:   Inhale
Date:   Dec 22, 11 at 7:11pm (PST)
quote DragonMaster Dyne
quote Sly
True.

I say "*bleep* it" and just do a spin-off type series with a prime-conditioned Solid Snake. New storyline and enemies.

Right? I'd say they made him age too fast, 3 titles is all he did? MGS1, MGS2, MGS4.... boo!!!!

Author:   Machienzo
Date:   Dec 23, 11 at 12:21pm (PST)
I swear I've said this too many times; but this isn't MGS5. MGS5 IS and ALWAYS HAS BEEN Peace Walker. I guess some people know this is a spin-off, but they don't realise that during press releases, Peace Walker was showcased as Metal Gear Solid 5 officially.

Just saying... in case anyone had the idea that this directly related to the story of this game in particular.

Author:   Sean7681
Date:   Dec 26, 11 at 1:42pm (PST)
Why don't they just do a remake combination of the first 2 NES Metal Gear titles and make that MGS 5 or a spin off. It would be great to take down Big Boss as Solid Snake with a rocket launcher in non 8 bit graphics. And i am completely looking forward to Rising, the new trailer makes it look even better.

Author:   ferryman01
Date:   Feb 02, 12 at 2:08am (PST)
"though Kojima has said he is happy to continue to make new games in the series provided fans want them."

*remembers him saying MGS1 was supposed to be the last game... then MGS3... then 4...*

either he's finally given in and realizes we will not stop buying things with the metal gear label, and that he is forever bound to making metal gear games for eternity... or this is reverse psychology saying he's finally done...

Author:   rpg
Date:   Mar 28, 12 at 12:02am (PST)
wow I should go through forums more often.
Revengeance is 50/50 to me right now (end up buying it anyways) but a MGS game with boss as the player would be pretty kool :3.
Lol saw someone mention david hayter and guess I'm not the only person who thinks that guy fits snake perfectly.
I think it was MG acid that didn't have his voice (kind of bugged me) but it's been so long I could be wrong.

Author:   SpartanNinja
Date:   Jul 18, 12 at 11:07pm (PST)
Yaya and then we could squee as we see a Baby Ocelot being born... If I remember wasn't he born D-day? Still that would be a rather cool thing, you might even be able to see how they handle as a team and deal with there obvious issues.

Author:   Twin_Master
Date:   Aug 20, 12 at 4:53am (PST)
I love how Kojima just can't get enough of the series and keeps coming back for MORE MORE MORE!

Author:   Dantess26
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 5:48am (PST)
quote Twin_Master
I love how Kojima just can't get enough of the series and keeps coming back for MORE MORE MORE!
I agree (of course!), but I also love the fact that the MGS franchise has never been 'milked'. Kojima-san always seems to take his time with the titles, and development is a nice lengthy period to allow the game to mature in it's own making... like a fine wine or cheese.

While game like Assassin's Creed turn into anual releases, and become slightly predictable, MGS games often take more than 3 years to release.

But yeah, Kojima seems so humble and modest when he says he kept planning to end the series with each game but the fans just wanted more... as though he could leave us without another title!

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.