Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Team to Beat E4 in HGSS? - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/44117/t1504638-team-to-beat-e4-in-hgss/3.htm

Author:   Ulairi
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 11:26am (PST)
Subject:   re: Team to Beat E4 in HGSS?
-------------------------------------------
quote Ulairi
quote Kanon
Uhh Gible probably aint gonna reach Garchomp by the E4 without taking everyone elses EXP. Dont recommend.
We'll hold off on Gible (which leaves another slot open ...)

We're gonna try getting Gible levelled up in the Pokewalker, He's at 20 already.

Author:   botanist
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 2:49pm (PST)
i duno how long has been here but my team is.. well i try to be abit more different and mess around..

My team:

Lugia
Typhlosion
Mamoswine
Poliwrath
Sunflora
Magneton

its quite ok i guess.. =/

my mamoswine singlehandedly (well cept for gyarados.. he aint a dragon type) took out all of lance's dragons in 1 hit.. sooo yeah..

if ur worried about lance's dragons.. take an ice type.. since they have stab. might help abit.. =/

also a mistake on my part on karen's umbreon.. i wanted to mess with it.. ended up he spam double team and i cant do nothing against it.. -.-

Author:   Avalith
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 3:31pm (PST)
Scyther
Jolly Nature
Ability: Technician

-Swords Dance
-Pursuit
-X-Scissor
-Aerial Ace

Feraligatr
Jolly Nature

-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Crunch
-Waterfall

There's you a great Elite Four team that will deal super effective damage to every single Pokemon.

Author:   sugarcandycane
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 3:34pm (PST)
lol the first time i played through this game, i was a noob at pokemon and used only my typhlosion for the whole game. It didn't actually work out that badly, although misty did own me after the elite 4. by the time i was at the e4, i had trained on wild pokemon and beaten most trainers and my phlos was at 60.... However on this playthrough, i used:

Pupitar
Feraligator
Charizard
Lugia
Ampharos
Gengar

They were all mid 40's, except for pupitar who was 42. It was easy except for Houndoom on the 4th battle and Lance, who pretty much owned me, even though i somehow won. My advice would be to use whatever you like, but keep a strong water/ice that can learn ice beam or blizzard, or buy blizzard and teach it to lugia. I assumed that w/ my Charizard's Dragon Fang and Feraligator (44 at the time...lol) 's Ice Fang i would be fine, and I wasn't.

Author:   Diamond Ice
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 4:20pm (PST)
A well-raised Gengar can utterly destroy Will, Bruno, half of Koga, Karen's Gengar, and could be a core element of beating Lance's Dragonites with a simple Hypnosis, Dream Eater, and Shadow Ball.

What I did was raise it to level 42-45, a few Carbos and Calcium (bought at the Goldenrod Department Store for 4900 apiece), and give it a Payapa Berry to hold for Will. (your Mother randomly buys it for you in quantaties of five, it weakens Super-Effective Psychic-type attacks.) Then, proceed to decimate with Shadow Ball. If you don't One-Hit KO one of them, usually Slowbro or Jynx, the Payapa Berry should allow Gengar to survive a hit from Psychic. Super Potion when you're done. When fighting Koga, you can use Gengar on his Muk and Venomoth, mainly. Hypnosis + Dream Eater should rid of them both. His Crobat is a little too fast for your Hypnosis + Dream Eater strategy, so don't bother; Ampharos should be the one for that job. When you get to Bruno, Gengar should have a field day. Use two X-Accuracys on the first two turns (Goldenrod Department Store) because Bruno will try and fail to hit you with Hitmontop's Dig. Then Hypnosis, Dream Eater, rinse and repeat. Shadow Ball his Onyx, though, if you want to rid of it quickly. Chances are all you need is an Elixer to prepare for Karen. Here, your Gengar should ONLY be used against hers. Anything else, and Gengar is in trouble. She'll try to use Spite, so you should easily OHKO with Shadow Ball. When it's time for Lance, you may want to equip a Focus Sash or Choice Specs if you have them (you get them from you Mom as well) so you can survive to kill at least one Dragonite.

See? Gengar is useful. It's my team's cornerstone and it already found all five Shiny Leaves.

Author:   Avalith
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 4:26pm (PST)
Two issues: Focus Sash only works against one-hit KOs from full health, and Choice Specs don't always do a whole lot of good in-game. It'll screw up Hypnosis and Dream Eater without a switch.

Author:   Diamond Ice
Date:   Apr 03, 10 at 4:48pm (PST)
My point exactly. Hypnosis and Dream Eater may be too risky for Dragonite, leaving Shadow Ball. Why not power it up with Specs if you're going to stick with that move anyway? And chances are Gengar won't be able to take a hit from an Outrage or Dragon Rush, so Focus Sash should prolong you enough should you miss with a move or need another turn to KO it.

Date:   Apr 07, 10 at 6:06pm (PST)
quote Ulairi
We're gonna try getting Gible levelled up in the Pokewalker, He's at 20 already.
Bad idea. No EV gained in the Pokewalker, so we did not do this.

FWIW, you should probably use a Pokewalker slave, due to them leveling up one level each day, with no EV being gained.

Author:   liion
Date:   Apr 07, 10 at 6:47pm (PST)
Can you keep us up to date with your party so far?

I remember reading a page back that you prefer eruption over swift, and fire/thunderpunch and thunderbolt over light screen charge and signal beam.

That sure made me giggle.

My party was:

Typhlosion:
Flamethrower
Lava Plume
Swift
Earthquake

Ampharos:
Signal Beam
Charge
Discharge
Thunder Wave

Feraligatr:
Waterfall
Ice Fang
Crunch
Rain Dance

Pidgeot:
Roost
Wing Attack
Fly
U-Turn

Pinsir:
X-Scizzor
Brick Break
Swords Dance
Rock Tomb

Tyranitar:
Dark Pulse/Crunch
Hyper Beam/Thrash
Rock Throw
Earthquake

Author:   The Deathwind
Date:   Apr 07, 10 at 6:58pm (PST)
quote Ulairi
3. Totodile, Croconaw Feraligatr
Surf
Waterfall
Crunch
Ice Fang (replace Ice Fang with TM 13 Ice Beam once you get it)

Do not do this. Feraligatr's physical attack is far better than it's special attack, Ice Fang is the better choice in this case.

Date:   Apr 07, 10 at 7:53pm (PST)
quote liion
Can you keep us up to date with your party so far?

I remember reading a page back that you prefer eruption over swift, and fire/thunderpunch and thunderbolt over light screen charge and signal beam.
Yeah, please be patient with me and bear in mind that we're learning as we go. It is only in the last week that I've realized that the absolute PP of an attack is only one variable.

It's still work in progress.

Author:   liion
Date:   Apr 07, 10 at 8:34pm (PST)
^the absolute PP? You lost me.

And About Ice beam on Feraligatr: Feraligatr is a physical beast (can't believe I didn't catch that mistake!). Also, where is Ice Beam? I beat Red, with no ice beam to be found.

Date:   Apr 07, 10 at 8:58pm (PST)
quote The Deathwind
quote Ulairi
3. Totodile, Croconaw Feraligatr
Surf
Waterfall
Crunch
Ice Fang (replace Ice Fang with TM 13 Ice Beam once you get it)

Do not do this. Feraligatr's physical attack is far better than it's special attack, Ice Fang is the better choice in this case.
quote liion
About Ice beam on Feraligatr: Feraligatr is a physical beast (can't believe I didn't catch that mistake!).
Okay, please bear with me cause I'm a noob. If you multiply the PP for each move by the respective average starting stat for Fealigatr, it appear to suggest that Ice Beam is superior:

Ice Fang 65 PP x 105 (av. STAT for Attack) = 6825
Ice Beam 95 PP x 79 (av. STAT for Sp. Attack) = 7505

Am I missing something and is it not that simple?

Date:   Apr 07, 10 at 9:12pm (PST)
quote liion
^the absolute PP? You lost me.
I was meaning the PP posted for each move. My bad.

quote liion
Where is Ice Beam? I beat Red, with no ice beam to be found.
costs 10,000 at Goldenrod. Maybe not worth it for the 10% extra oomph over Ice Fang, especially if Ice Fang is good enough to one-hit Lance's dragons?

Author:   The Deathwind
Date:   Apr 07, 10 at 9:37pm (PST)
quote Ulairi
Okay, please bear with me cause I'm a noob. If you multiply the PP for each move by the respective average starting stat for Fealigatr, it appear to suggest that Ice Beam is superior:

Ice Fang 65 PP x 105 (av. STAT for Attack) = 6825
Ice Beam 95 PP x 79 (av. STAT for Sp. Attack) = 7505

Am I missing something and is it not that simple?
I'm fairly sure it's not that simple. You're using the bases, which aren't concrete on the Pokemon- they just act as a part of calculating the stats and are also influenced by the Pokemon's IVs, EVs and natures.

After actually running some calculations with more likely stats, yes, Ice Beam is slightly better overall, but Ice Beam has a few problems. namely;

1. You're either waiting until late Kanto (Seafoam Islands) or playing a lot of Voltorb Flip, whereas the thing learns Ice Fang naturally.
2. Ice Fang also has the chance of causing the opponent to flinch, which whule nort dealbreaking is a nice bonus.
3. Ice Fang has higher PP (and please do not use PP as a term for move strength, that is Base Power. PP is used in the game as how many times the move can be used and honestly is the meaning we're used to using.) Considering that ethers and Elixirs are in short supply, I'd take the extra 5 PP on a sufficently powerful move than less PP.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.