Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Which came first, Arceus or Mew? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/44116/t1610743-which-came-first-arceus-mew/

Author:   mjw46368
Date:   Jan 13, 11 at 10:29pm (PST)
Subject:   Which came first, Arceus or Mew?
-------------------------------------------
The new generation of pokemon bothers me. I had not caught mew in leafgreen, but I had a handbook i got at a store which had its definition as the ancestor of all pokemon. Then I got a newer handbook, saying that Arceus was the creator of the universe. Now there's a debate in my head wondering which was the first. I mean, they can't just change that! They have research that proves that mew can learn any move from any pokemon in any generation of pokemon games. Now arceus shows up and they think he is the ultimate pokemon? He can change types, but thats about it. it can only learn TM moves of the type of its held plate, come on! Please help me.

Author:   mjw46368
Date:   Jan 13, 11 at 11:04pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Which came first, Arceus or Mew?
im pretty sure that the definition of mew is still the same in the newer gen games. WAT NOW?

Author:   Pikachu
Date:   Jan 13, 11 at 11:14pm (PST)
Mew is still the Ancestor of all pokemon, there were only 151 pokemon discovered in the 1st Gen, then as more games came out, they "discovered" more and more

And arceus is just an immoral abomination.

Author:   bond007106
Date:   Jan 13, 11 at 11:24pm (PST)
quote mjw46368
The new generation of pokemon bothers me. I had not caught mew in leafgreen, but I had a handbook i got at a store which had its definition as the ancestor of all pokemon. Then I got a newer handbook, saying that Arceus was the creator of the universe. Now there's a debate in my head wondering which was the first. I mean, they can't just change that! They have research that proves that mew can learn any move from any pokemon in any generation of pokemon games. Now arceus shows up and they think he is the ultimate pokemon? He can change types, but thats about it. it can only learn TM moves of the type of its held plate, come on! Please help me.
Why not?
Happens all the time in real life. It's what science is all about: new research/discoveries prove an old theory wrong, opinions are revised and you move on.

As i see it, Arceus created the Pokemon universe and several legendary pokemon (including most probably Mew). And Mew (of which there used to be many) gradualy gave rise to most (but not all, some are clearly inorganic) 'normal' pokemon and some of the lesser legendaries (such as the bird trio).

Author:   weirdalrulez
Date:   Jan 13, 11 at 11:24pm (PST)
Arceus created everything, and then Mews formed and eventually became all of the pokemon, according to Bulbapedia.

Author:   weirdalrulez
Date:   Jan 14, 11 at 2:07am (PST)
quote Gefloung
Mew is more of a missing link. Why else would it posses the DNA of all other Pokemon species if it weren't somehow tied genetically to them? Perhaps it's not the first Pokemon, but certainly one of.
Yeah, I mean "ancestor of all Pokemon" doesn't necessarily mean "first Pokemon".

Author:   Kirby_net
Date:   Jan 14, 11 at 3:00am (PST)
Oh god, this discussion again. OTL

Personally, I'd say that Arceus came first. Mew being the ancestor of all Pokémon can be taken as a statement too broad in that point of study in-universe. Plus, there's always the theory that Arceus isn't actually a technical Pokémon.

Author:   jacob0057
Date:   Jan 14, 11 at 4:51pm (PST)
What about Kabuto, Omanyte and Aerodactyl ? They are fossils that are brought back to life so they could be older then Mew anyway.

Author:   Hulie
Date:   Jan 14, 11 at 9:35pm (PST)
Clearly Nintendo/Pokemon/Whoever makes the games is drinking the same Coolaid that Blizzard is drinking. They rewrite lore to fit their current needs. In reality it doesn't matter who came first.

Date:   Jan 14, 11 at 11:04pm (PST)
Of course they do, why not? As i said before, happens all the time in real life.
Do we still believe the sun revolves around the Earth? That the universe is only about 6,000 years old? That flies spontaneously arise from filth? That disease is caused by bad smells?
Science marches on, as new research supersedes old beliefs.

Author:   Emberguard
Date:   Jan 14, 11 at 11:36pm (PST)
Who's to say Arceus is even the god pokemon. The pokedex doesn't say anything about Arceus creatin anything. Only shaping what's in the world and a lot of the legendaries did some ofthat anyway. In which case if Arceus is the go pokemon, wouldn't that make the other legendaries semi-god pokemon or something

Date:   Jan 15, 11 at 12:02am (PST)
Well, Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina are all demi-gods. They are descrobed as deities in D/P/P. And possibly so the lake trio, too.
And there's a book in Canalave Library that says Arceus created the dragon trio and the lake trio, who in turn created all of reality and life. Also, Cynthis states as much if you do the Sinjoh Ruins event in HG/SS.

Author:   flubberfishy
Date:   Jan 15, 11 at 2:13pm (PST)
this is simple Arceus came first made mew (Arceus made Mew.Mew made Mewtwo) and mew was 2nd Arceus was 1st and Mewtwo was 3rd^_^

Date:   Jan 15, 11 at 2:36pm (PST)
Mewtwo wasn't 3rd.
Mewtwo was man-made, genetically engineered from Mew's DNA by Team Rocket-funded scientists a few years ago.
Pretty much all other known pokemon predate it. Mewtwo is, in fact, one of the youngest pokemon species.

Author:   bambamkim2120
Date:   Jan 15, 11 at 5:41pm (PST)
quote mjw46368
um i would have to make a stupid thought right here right now
mew was probably floationg around in space so many years ago and arceus came along form the univese WE live in then mew moved to that universe and arceus left into hiding and then made himself known in the sinnoh region (stop to catch breath.......) ultimately concluding that mew cam first

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.