Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: WHATS THE BEST POKEMON TEAM FOR POKEMON HEART GOLD??? - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/44116/t1583959-whats-best-pokemon-team-for-pokemon-heart-gold/3.htm

Author:   ConanTheMerman
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 4:33pm (PST)
Subject:   re: WHATS THE BEST POKEMON TEAM FOR POKEMON HEART GOLD???
-------------------------------------------
My current team:

Gyarados (Shiny) Lv.39 Male

Sandslash Lv.37 Male

Typhlosion Lv.41 Male

Ariados Lv.24 Male (Currently leveling up)

Pidgeot Lv.36 Male

Flaaffy Lv.23 Male (Currently leveling up)

I am leveling up Flaaffy for the 8th gym, tell me your team and what you think of mine.

Author:   Geo
Date:   Sep 15, 12 at 9:48pm (PST)
ConanTheMerman
Not going for Dragonite? If you can get Alakzam or Gengar, they would be good too.

As for your present team, it has an all-rounded coverage. I like Gyarados since it can Dragon Dance and breeze through teams easily, For the 8th Gym, may I suggest giving Ice Fang to Gyarados (if you can get it).

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 9:49am (PST)
I guess I could get rid of Ariados for Dragonite but who should I get rid of for Gengar?

EDIT: I am heading to the Pokemon League and I caught Ho-oh with only two ultra ball's.
The Kimono girl's we're tough though but I dealt with them.
Current team:

Ampharos Lv.34 Male

Gyarados Lv.40 Male

Typhlosion Lv.43 Male

Ariados Lv.27 Male

Sandslash Lv.38 Male

Pidgeot Lv.37 Male

I like male pokemon. xD

Author:   Avalith
Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 5:40pm (PST)
quote ConanTheMerman
I guess I could get rid of Ariados for Dragonite but who should I get rid of for Gengar?
Either Pidgeot or Sandslash. Both have rather limited uses. Pidgeot makes for great transportation with Fly, but isn't worth a constant party slot since he'll take you to the Pokecenter in the town you want to go to anyway. Sandslash has rather limited use and Gengar can cover far more types.

Author:   sandmanator
Date:   Sep 25, 12 at 2:42pm (PST)
What Ithink you should use is a team with variety. This is what i have.

Typholosion
Ampharos
Ho-oh/togekiss
Dragonite
Gyrados
Quagsire

P.s. this is pre national and comment if you want the moves for each pokemon. Hope it helps.

Author:   Epicman123
Date:   Sep 27, 12 at 4:42pm (PST)
I agree with all of these replies, that the best team is decided upon types. I prefer using: Charizard, Dialga, Feraligatr, Rhyperior, Sceptile, and Dragonite.
Why?
Charizard covers the vital essence of having fire attacks, and has powerful moves.
Dialga is also powerful and EXTREMELY type resistant.
Feraligatr covers the vital essence of having water type attacks.
Rhyperior has power and strength.
Sceptile covers the grass-part of a team.
Dragonite is powerful, rare, and has powerful moves.

Charizard knows Fly.
Feraligatr knows surf and waterfall.
Rhyperior knows strength.
Dragonite knows rocksmash.
Sceptile knows cut.
Dialga doesn't know any HM but is still a good pokemon to have withheld on your team.

All my pokemon are level 100, by the way. And if you're wondering how I have all these pokemon, I was able to trade from my other games. I have all 493 pokemon, many which are shiny pokemon.

Another team set which is equally effective (I never use this team) is:

Venasaur
Tyrannitar
Magmortar
Zapdos
Gyarados
Nidoking

All these pokemon can learn the valuable HMs, which is all you need. They are all also very powerful. You may also choose to capture Ho-oh is you want and use that as your vital asset.

Try working with many different teams to adapt to many different pokemon.

Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 9:23am (PST)
My new team:

Dragonite
Gastly (Gonna be a Haunter)
Growlithe (Gonna be a Arcanine)
Gyarados (Shiny)
Sandslash (Might be a Rhydon I don't know.)
Pikachu

I replaced Ariados with Dragonite, Typhlosion with Growlithe, Ampharos with Pikachu, and Pidgeot with Gastly.

How good is my team now, also I beat the Pokemon League and I am collecting the badges for Kanto then..
I will fight Red....

Author:   Crepeii
Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 4:28pm (PST)
I wouldn't really suggest using Pikachu, unless you're evolving it into a Raichu of course. Though I'd still say Ampharos should've stayed. And for the Feraligator thing, I'd strongly suggesting giving it Earthquake. Not only a powerful move, but it can give it advantages to certain typings. And remember, stat-increasing moves are extremely vital, though a bit optional. But they're amazingly helpful!
Also, I wouldn't recommend a Sceptile. It's kind of like a Flareon, a fierce special attacker with many physical-based moves. If you want a grass type, get Exceguttor or Venasaur. They're not fast, but real bulky and strong!

And because everyone is doing it, the Pokemons I'd use is :

• Starmie
• Ampharos
• Arcanine
• Fearow
• Lapras
• An eeveelution( preferable Espeon or Vaporeon)
• Donphan

You can always have pokemons of the same types on your team. And because this is Heartgold, there is an amazingly wide range of Pokemon for you to choose from, including ones from the Hoenn and Kanto region! Make your team unique by choosing certain moves or having different kinds of pokemons. Like the Venasaur + Thunderbolt. <3

I know I'm not much help, but I hope you can understand what i'm saying. xD Good luck with your team though! C:

Author:   Mawile
Date:   Sep 29, 12 at 11:35pm (PST)
Could someone help me choose a 6th pokemon for my team? I was using a Noctowl for my flying type but lone behold I eventually grew tired of it so now I only have five pokemon to use against the E4. Also feedback my team's moves would also be appreciated.

Current team:

Arcanine Lv 45 Naughty nature
Dig
Heat Wave
Thunder Fang
Crunch

Vileplume Lv 39 Timid nature
Mega Drain
Drain Punch
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder

Magneton Lv 40 Quiet nature
Lock-On
Discharge
Tri Attack
Flash Cannon

Slowbro Lv 39 Quiet nature
Curse
Surf
Strength
Zen Headbutt

Gyrados Lv 39 Adamant nature
Bite
Aqua Tail
Waterfall
Ice Fang

Author:   Crystal Creation
Date:   Sep 30, 12 at 1:01am (PST)
Well I always love re-playing HG, and the same team I use through all my playthroughs is as follows:

- Typhlosion (Starter) (Rock Climb, Eruption, Flamethrower, Swift)
- Bellossom (Ilex Forest (Cut, Stun Spore, Leaf Storm, Giga Drain)
- Dragonite (Goldenrod) (Fly, Waterfall, Dragon Dance, Outrage)
- Starmie (Olivine City) (Surf, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Psychic)
- Hitmonchan (Mt. Mortar) (Close Combat, Thunder/Ice/Fire Punch)
- Rhydon (Victory Road) (Strength, Earthquake, Megahorn, Stone Edge)

Mawile

Hmm... it's tough. I mean, if it were up to me, i'd recommend a Dragonite for you, but it's tough getting it to level 55 before the Elite 4.
Maybe a Dodrio? But who really wants a Dodrio? It has good attack and speed, can learn drill peck, and can learn faint attack if you breed it with a Murkrow. Most importantly, it's a flyer.
Biased as it sounds, Hitmonchan would be good. You would have no pokemon that learns fly, but you have something to hit dark types super effectively (besides drain punch w/ Vile) with sky uppercut, and good coverage with thunder/fire/ice punch.

Also at your pokemon and moves, on the whole, good. Maybe get rid of drain punch from vileplume as it has a timid nature which makes drain punch weaker. then again it's your only fighting type move so far.
I'd also get rid of lock on from magneton as its other attacking moves have 100% accuracy, unless you're planning on teaching it zap cannon or something.
Finally i'd get rid of curse and zen headbutt from slowbro and teach him ice beam and psychic (when you learn it.)
Good team though. ^^

Author:   Mawile
Date:   Sep 30, 12 at 4:09pm (PST)
quote Crystal Creation
Hmm... it's tough. I mean, if it were up to me, i'd recommend a Dragonite for you, but it's tough getting it to level 55 before the Elite 4.
Maybe a Dodrio? But who really wants a Dodrio? It has good attack and speed, can learn drill peck, and can learn faint attack if you breed it with a Murkrow. Most importantly, it's a flyer.
Biased as it sounds, Hitmonchan would be good. You would have no pokemon that learns fly, but you have something to hit dark types super effectively (besides drain punch w/ Vile) with sky uppercut, and good coverage with thunder/fire/ice punch.

Also at your pokemon and moves, on the whole, good. Maybe get rid of drain punch from vileplume as it has a timid nature which makes drain punch weaker. then again it's your only fighting type move so far.
I'd also get rid of lock on from magneton as its other attacking moves have 100% accuracy, unless you're planning on teaching it zap cannon or something.
Finally i'd get rid of curse and zen headbutt from slowbro and teach him ice beam and psychic (when you learn it.)
Good team though. ^^
Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. With Dragonite, as you can tell by my Arcanine, I usually grind before challenging gyms and I don't really want to go through all of that again; especially not w/ a pokemon like Dragonite. About magneton, I was planning to teach it zap cannon later (sorry for not mentioning that earlier) and I was wondering since I just found out Slowbro learns Focus Blast, should I teach that or Trick Room instead? As for the 6th slot, I decided to go with Hitmonlee just because of Arcanine, Magneton and Gyrados.

Changes that will be made....

Arcanine Lv 45 Naughty nature
Dig
Heat Wave
Thunder Fang
Crunch

Vileplume Lv 39 Timid nature
Mega Drain (Will change to Giga Drain)
Drain Punch (Will change to Aromatherapy)
Sludge Bomb
Sleep Powder

Magneton Lv 40 Quiet nature
Lock-On
Discharge
Tri Attack
Flash Cannon

Slowbro Lv 39 Quiet nature
Curse (Will change to Trick Room/Focus Blast)
Surf
Strength (Will change to Psychic)
Zen Headbutt (Will change to Ice Beam/Blizzard)

Gyrados Lv 39 Adamant nature
Bite
Aqua Tail
Waterfall
Ice Fang

Tyrouge Lv 12 Adamant nature (Soon to be Hitmonlee)
Headbutt
Foresight
Fake Out
Helping Hand

Author:   Crystal Creation
Date:   Sep 30, 12 at 4:46pm (PST)
Mawile

Good changes you've made. Your team was fine as it was, it's just that I can't help suggesting things, even if it makes me look like a know-it-all.

I know the feeling about grinding before the E4. I did it to evolve Dragonair, but during the process, I really did feel slightly depressed.

As for the whole Slowbro thing, Trick Room definitely, since you have slow pokemon like Vileplume and Magneton that really benefit from it, as well as Slowbro. I personally hate focus blast's inaccuracy and low pp.

Hitmonlee is awesome, I love most of the fighting types to be honest. Thing with Hitmonlee is he's a decent HM slave. Close Combat and Blaze Kick for his normal moves, and then 2 HMs of your choice, unless you wanna teach him something else.

Author:   Antimonkey
Date:   Oct 06, 12 at 3:21pm (PST)
Hey guys..i just beat Blue, and before i challenge E4 again, what do you think?

Typhlosion- Cut, Stone Edge, Flamethrower, Swift
Raikou- Strength, Shadow Ball, Thunderbolt, Thunder Wave
Hypno-Hypnosis, Psychic, Dream Eater, Drain Punch
Steelix- Earthquake, Stone Edge, Rock Smash, Dragon Pulse
Poliwrath- Surf, Ice Beam, Waterfall, Focus Punch (paired with hypnosis from Hypno)
Fearow- Fly, Drill Peck, Steel Wing, Fury Attack

Author:   Phi
Date:   Oct 07, 12 at 4:46am (PST)
    Try not to have more than two of the same typed move on a Pokemon. I understand that Typhlosion needs cut but it doesn't need swift at the same time. Give it something to take care of those pesky Water or Ground or Rock moves.

Author:   Wheet
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 10:00am (PST)
Dunno what the best team is. I want a salamance tho

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.