Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: How far did you get in the Battle Tower? - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/44116/t1569339-how-far-did-you-get-in-battle-tower/2.htm

Author:   Psychopkmn
Date:   Aug 24, 10 at 8:24am (PST)
Subject:   re: How far did you get in the Battle Tower?
-------------------------------------------
Togekiss has been great for me. No idea why its stats are almost Pseudo-Legendary range, but between that and its movepool, it has plenty of options. I'd vote Togekiss as one of the most underrated.
Wow, Sturdy... Why didn't I think of that Just further proof that in-game and Battle Tower are polar opposites. I hate to change my team now, but it might be worth trying this. And of the Sturdy users, Magnezone is clearly best. Great typing and it'd be super effective on most of the potential OHKO users. Thoughts on these sets?

Magnezone Sturdy Modest Leftovers 252 SpAtk/ 4 SpDef/ 252 HP
Charge Beam
Flash Cannon
Iron Defense
Double Team

If I trick them into a OHKO and get hit, they'll have 4 more attacks during which I'll Iron Defense. That+Leftovers will make the struggles worthless. Then I can Charge Beam to try for the boost, or if they're ground Double Team while they kill themselves and go from there. If I switch to my second and stat up like normal, kill their lead, and get OHKO'd by the second one I'll just have to hope it goes well. I think I like that one better, but was also thinking about this-

Magnezone Sturdy Modest Wise Glasses
252 SpAtk/ 252 HP/ 4 SpDef
Thunderbolt
Flash Cannon
HP Grass
Explosion

Is the Charge Beam boost worth it, or would it be better to go pure power?

Machamp with Fissure... Not a bad idea if you're going to hack anyways. That's basically what the computer is doing isn't it?

Author:   Superboop
Date:   Aug 24, 10 at 12:19pm (PST)
On my BT journey, a person Actually switched out. The strategy was tumbling down.

I was lucky I survived.

Author:   Lord Salamence
Date:   Aug 24, 10 at 2:58pm (PST)
Seriously? Someone switched out? Wow.
Just saying, I love my SalaTerra team. Torterra uses Earthquake while Salamence just spams Fly/Dragon Claw. I also put a white Herb onto Salamence for Draco Meteor. The only thing that scares me is a Ice type, But, I have a waiting Inferape in the background. Sadly, I've not even seen Palmer yet. What am I doing wrong?!

Date:   Aug 24, 10 at 4:47pm (PST)
For one thing, Walrein could cause you a lot of problems and is apparently pretty common. Not to mention Lapras and Dewgong too.
Also, Dragon Claw is physical and Draco Meteor is Special. The Battle Tower probably isn't a great place for a mixed sweeper.
Which one is your lead and what attacks do they know?

Author:   Heartlesswithaheart
Date:   Aug 24, 10 at 5:00pm (PST)
If you aren't concerned about Magnezone being forced out as your last Pokémon if it were to happen or if your team is great as two members, then I would go with the first one to let Hell go lose when you see an OHKO ResTalk Walren.

If you think your team may suffer from the lack of a reliable offensive Pokémon from the moment it gets sent out (Charge Beam + Flash Cannon isn't a reliable offensive setup) then I would choose the second set.

I would go with the second set, but I'm overly cautious most of the time so it's your pick.

Date:   Aug 25, 10 at 5:00am (PST)
Considering the Tower's noted lack of luck for the human side, it probably is better to play it on the safe side. I'm up to 205 battles with the current team, and counting the 2 OHKO losses, I think I've needed my 3rd one 6 times. If I do hit that ~3%, the second one is going to be more reliable. I think I'll get back past the second Palmer battle with my current team (I've done it three straight times, so hopefully it won't be a problem) and then worry about getting the second Magnezone set and see what happens.

Author:   tonyzhou
Date:   Aug 25, 10 at 9:05am (PST)
i went to 95 then i tought i lost cause he ko my secound pokemon but i still have my wall which is good but i tought i lost so i feaked out and got my game out and keep yelling at it then i was thinking that i didnt use my wall yet.....

Date:   Aug 25, 10 at 8:10pm (PST)
Battle 37- I was down to my last, unboosted mon, they had Tangrowth and one other. I was able to stat up/rest to stall out his leech seed/Giga Drain combo. Killed it once I finished boosting, and they sent out a Magnezone. It used Psych Up to copy my stat changes, that and leech seed made attacking pretty much worthless. I was able to Rest/waste PP until he ran out of PP for Iron Head and Psych Up, but just when I thought I might be able to pull off an amazing win Mangezone exploded and killed both of us, causing me to lose >.< Yet another "nifty" trick the computer uses to win when it shouldn't... Oh well, better at battle 37 than ~60.

Author:   Chaosfire
Date:   Aug 25, 10 at 9:41pm (PST)
her's a nity tip: dont use walls/sponges baton passers are ok and 80% of the time if you stragegise you over stradegise because the enemy (being stradegy retards) screws up your stradegy by using only blunt force, the most stradegy ive seen is curse non ghost or switching out, so a speedy sweeper is best...

Date:   Aug 26, 10 at 2:03am (PST)
quote ZaneTheSuperSaiyen
her's a nity tip: dont use walls/sponges baton passers are ok and 80% of the time if you stragegise you over stradegise because the enemy (being stradegy retards) screws up your stradegy by using only blunt force, the most stradegy ive seen is curse non ghost or switching out, so a speedy sweeper is best...
Ninjask used Swords Dance! Ninjask's Attack sharply rose!
Ninjask's Speed Boost raised its Speed!
*two Protects and another Swords Dance later*
Ninjask used Baton Pass!
*Insert Trainer's name here* sent out Machamp!
*Insert Machamp Dynamicpawnch sweep here*

Date:   Aug 26, 10 at 4:30am (PST)
If all it took was a speedy sweeper, I don't think there would be nearly as many people struggling with the tower. They work fine early on, but I don't think I've ever seen one be consistently reliable in the later rounds without some kind of set up.

Author:   Shellshockerr_666
Date:   Aug 26, 10 at 1:32pm (PST)
Round 49 beat by Palmer

Cant remember my team , it was ages ago lol

Date:   Aug 27, 10 at 2:27am (PST)
quote Psychopkmn
If all it took was a speedy sweeper, I don't think there would be nearly as many people struggling with the tower. They work fine early on, but I don't think I've ever seen one be consistently reliable in the later rounds without some kind of set up.
I know. I tried that a while ago and lost against boredom. Who would've guessed a Gengar would hold a Focus Sash and use Destiny Bond when you aren't paying attention? But I doubt it would make it too far if I did make it work at its best. (Me paying attention)

Date:   Aug 27, 10 at 2:47am (PST)
I got messed up by Focus Sash on a Wobbufett who countered me >.<
Later, I was back up 63- Lead of with trick. Their Togekiss used Air Slash- Flinch. Flinch. Die. Flinch. Use Crunch. Flinch. Die. Flinch. Flinch. Flinch. Die. The end. Not much you can do against flinching 7/8 times.
I am up to 516 battle points though.

Date:   Aug 27, 10 at 2:54am (PST)
Yeah, I realized that Togekiss, Jirachi, Skymin, Blissey and Dunsparce can be really cheap with Serene Grace a while ago. Which is why I decided to create a team of Togekiss, Jirachi (banned) and Skymin (banned) for the Battle Tower!
Unfortunately it failed so I decided to get Mismagius and Breloom instead.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.