Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Non-horror games that scared the living daylights out of you - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/42761/t1847758-non-horror-games-that-scared-living-daylights-out-of-you/

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 7:37am (PST)
Subject:   Non-horror games that scared the living daylights out of you
-------------------------------------------
We've all been spooked a little when we first saw that ghost that we couldn't capture in pokemon red. That was horrible as a child.

When I was younger I was playing the sims bustin out and it was my first sims experience. Everything about it was fantastic and I loved it. Then one day a fire broke out and 2 of my sims died. Everything was normal for a while until 3 sim days later where at night suddenly the super speed stopped and creepy music started playing. I had no idea what was going on. There where mysterious sounds, screeches and levitating refrigerators. THATS RIGHT THE FRIDGES WHERE LEVITATING.

It all led up to the ghost sims showing up, starting a new fire and killing the rest of my sims =/

As a child that was pretty terrifying for me, I had no idea the sims had ghosts. 1 year later I managed to kill over 200 sims and create a haunted house. It was epic.

So have you played any games that don't fall under the horror category that scared the living daylights out of you?

Author:   Ditnopota
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 11:10am (PST)
Subject:   re: Non-horror games that scared the living daylights out of you
Minecraft and Quake II (latter being when I was very young, however).

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 11:32am (PST)
first bioshock got me a few times when I was sneaking around and laying traps. On top of it, every stealth game has that potential because of the inherent need to stay out of sight from enemies, so when one finds you unexpectedly it can always deliver a shock. The Thief games are good at this.

Author:   Zale
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 11:36am (PST)
Minecraft, I hate it when creepers creep up in front of you and you only have enough time to accept that you won't make it. Scares the crap out of me because I should have been able to see it and thus be able to prepare to kill it, but I couldn't.

Other than that, LoZ:OoT got me a few times.

Author:   John234MKWii
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 4:05pm (PST)
Wow, Minecraft is so scary to all of you.

Minecraft, yeah, those creepers would come out of nowhere and attack me, I had only been playing for 30 minutes, so it was a bit of a shock.

Author:   Pmc44444
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 5:11pm (PST)
Fallout games can sometimes be so so so freaky often times I have got a jump fright from the game. Also stealth games always scare me especially any Metal Gear Solid Game when something comes out of nowhere I get scared!

Author:   haalyle
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 10:59pm (PST)
Let's say, Spyro.
How: Well, somehow, the sheep seemed to scare me a lot! I'd run away from them as soon as they started jumping.

Hm, as for other games, I would have to say Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, the part with the spiders. (This is the PS2 version) There were red spiders, silver spiders and bright neon green spiders that had different abilities. The green ones scared me the most. By the way, I have arachnophobia, so that didn't help. My dad helped me, but guess what, he was drunk (seems to be something with dad being drunk and video games), so it scared me heaps. I defeat the huge spider though, 'cause I have no fear against large spiders

Also, watching my dad play games drunk scares me, even Spyro: Enter the Dragonfly.

Author:   Chelskiman
Date:   Mar 31, 13 at 11:58pm (PST)
The "easter egg" I guess we'll call it in MGS where you would take photos of certain objects and when you viewed the pictures a ghost would appear in the image. I was playing MGS before I even had internet, so I didn't even know about this, so when I stumbled upon one of those ghost images it scared the *bleep* out of me.

Author:   jbh
Date:   Apr 01, 13 at 12:59am (PST)
Hitman Contracts back on the PS2, the 5th level is set in a hotel with part of the hotel locked down under police tape. If you can sneak past the French police you eventually get to a room with the remnants of a murder scene, if you go into the bathroom and look in the mirror shit gets creepy black and white with a ghost in the mirror. Scared the shit out of me when I was younger.

Author:   HunterKiller666
Date:   Apr 01, 13 at 8:31am (PST)
Bowser from Super Mario series. Is he a dragon? Is he a turtle? Why the *bleep* is it so confusing? And those flamesticks he shits out of his anus and they just home in on you like moths to light, those scare the crap out of me.

Author:   Eupraxis
Date:   Apr 10, 13 at 2:24am (PST)
The Game Boy Camera.
If any of you had this you will know exactly what I mean.
You make a wrong click somewhere and then "Error Face" pops up titled with the caption "who are you running from?"

Author:   Dreadlock Holiday
Date:   Apr 13, 13 at 9:37pm (PST)
quote Demonfurby
first bioshock got me a few times when I was sneaking around and laying traps. On top of it, every stealth game has that potential because of the inherent need to stay out of sight from enemies, so when one finds you unexpectedly it can always deliver a shock. The Thief games are good at this.
The scene at the dentist where thick fog makes the screen turn white, when you turn around a splicer is literally standing there watching you. That was pretty freaky.

Author:   Fatal Error
Date:   Apr 28, 13 at 12:54am (PST)
Metal Gear Solid, Psycho Mantis battle, 10 years old. Goddamn was I basically ready to shit myself.

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Apr 28, 13 at 8:32am (PST)
quote Fatal Error
Metal Gear Solid, Psycho Mantis battle, 10 years old. Goddamn was I basically ready to shit myself.
speaking of playing games as a kid, whenever a game had open bodies of water, I was terrified of venturing into them. Always thought something huge was going to snatch me out of no where and I would be scarred from playing it. I think Snacker from Banjo-Kazooie is to blame for that.

but then I was a huge pussy as a kid, so maybe that's it

Author:   Fatal Error
Date:   Apr 28, 13 at 10:33am (PST)
quote Demonfurby
quote Fatal Error
speaking of playing games as a kid, whenever a game had open bodies of water, I was terrified of venturing into them. Always thought something huge was going to snatch me out of no where and I would be scarred from playing it. I think Snacker from Banjo-Kazooie is to blame for that.

but then I was a huge pussy as a kid, so maybe that's it
Yeah, I know the feeling. I used to freak out whenever I saw something where I could maybe get stuck or eating...under water in sonic, under water in Metal Gear Solid, going in the deep water in Ecco the Dolphin...I basically hate going in or under water in all videogames.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.