Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: 2+4=(mc/-1/sqr rt of 2x2)/3 = Whats the hardest/most awesome puzzle that stumped you? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/42761/t1845700-2-4-mc-1-sqr-rt-of-2x2-3-whats-hardest-most-awesome-puzzle-that-stumped-you/

Author:   DedValve
Date:   Mar 25, 13 at 5:23pm (PST)
Subject:   2+4=(mc/-1/sqr rt of 2x2)/3 = Whats the hardest/most awesome puzzle that stumped you?
-------------------------------------------
Plenty of horror games are known for their puzzles. Plenty of these puzzles are known to be goddamn ridiculous, even outside horror (who here can honestly raise their hand if they never took a guide on Assassins Creed 2 puzzles?)

What's the hardest puzzle in any game you ever had to do? Alternatively, what was the most brilliant (as in deviously difficult yet awesome) puzzle you've done?

Hands down the puzzles in Resident Evil Outbreak where just nightmarish, especially for some of the optional stuff. Previous RE games has always had puzzles that stopped you for at most 2, maybe 3 minutes before you instantly figure it out but holy shit Outbreak just broke your mind on what you needed to do.

The worst of it (outside the Hive which I'm sure is unanimously voted to be a broken puzzle) would be in #1 Decisions, Decisions scenario. The clock with the (red?) ruby inside of it and you had to figure out what time to put the clock in. Right next to the clock where a bunch of numbers, dozens and dozens of them. There where 5 sheets of paper and all sheets had random numbers that made no sense.

It boggled the mind and caused many frustration (especially when your in a room with 3 other people breaking their backs trying to figure this shit out since this was before the time anyone could just lookup gamefaqs on their phone) until you realized that the numbers are misleading. All these random numbers are oddly spaced and placed until you realize that the numbers aren't important but the shape they FORM are. Each page was actually one giant number made up of all these random little numbers and would reveal the proper time to put in the clock.

Hands down the most grueling puzzle ever until you realize what you had to do, then it was just the most awesome puzzle ever.

Author:   Demonfurby
Date:   Mar 25, 13 at 5:24pm (PST)
Subject:   re: 2+4=(mc/-1/sqr rt of 2x2)/3 = Whats the hardest/most awesome puzzle that stumped you?
Anything other than SH3's shakespeare on hard is wrong.

brillant? *bleep*. I usually don't remember puzzles unless they're ridiculous

Author:   Ditnopota
Date:   Mar 25, 13 at 5:31pm (PST)
Subject:   re: 2+4=(mc/-1/sqr rt of 2x2)/3 = Whats the hardest/most awesome puzzle that stumped you?
quote Demonfurby

Duuuude, there's a puzzle in SH3 way at the end on Hard (or Extreme, I forget if Extreme Puzzle is a thing in SH3 or not) where you either have to know some ridiculous shit or look up a walkthrough made by someone who knew aforementioned ridiculous shit.

Taken from this FAQ. And you wanna know what this crazy shit is for? A damn alternate costume code. Nothing more.

Author:   HunterKiller666
Date:   Mar 25, 13 at 5:54pm (PST)
The mirror puzzle in RE5. You are supposed to know how to reflect the laser from one mirror to another? Wow, that stumped me so hard. It took me 2 hours to figure out how to align them mirrors properly WITHOUT getting burned to ash, which is simply ridiculous, and that was only the first level. I didn't know there were gonna be TWO MORE LEVELS WTF! By the time I got to the 3rd level I literally fainted because shit was so goddamn hard. There were these pillars you have to take down to let the laser through, it's like how are you supposed to know that! How are you supposed to know you can just walk up to it and press a button? And the *bleep*ing AI just stood there and watched the entire time as I struggled, but deep down I knew that bitch was snickering at me every time I looked away. *bleep* that was a hard puzzle.

Author:   Wakaman
Date:   Mar 25, 13 at 6:49pm (PST)
I think for the age I was, trying to get through the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time was ridiculous. I'm 10 ffs, how am I supposed to figure this shit out. I felt like a god when I finally beat that shit.

I think that's about it, the only other games I played where puzzles were involved were the Prince of Persia games. Those don't even deserve to be called puzzles though, easiest shit in the world.

Date:   Mar 25, 13 at 7:15pm (PST)
quote Wakaman
I think for the age I was, trying to get through the Water Temple in Ocarina of Time was ridiculous. I'm 10 ffs, how am I supposed to figure this shit out. I felt like a god when I finally beat that shit.

I think that's about it, the only other games I played where puzzles were involved were the Prince of Persia games. Those don't even deserve to be called puzzles though, easiest shit in the world.

I was THIS close to posting a warning about LOZ water temple games but decided against my better judgement to not put it in. I just knew it was coming.

HunterKiller666 stop trolling. Everyone knows RE6's story is the most confusing and difficult puzzle of them all to solve.

Author:   Hmszelda
Date:   Mar 26, 13 at 11:15am (PST)
quote Ditnopota
quote Demonfurby

Duuuude, there's a puzzle in SH3 way at the end on Hard (or Extreme, I forget if Extreme Puzzle is a thing in SH3 or not) where you either have to know some ridiculous shit or look up a walkthrough made by someone who knew aforementioned ridiculous shit.

Taken from this FAQ. And you wanna know what this crazy shit is for? A damn alternate costume code. Nothing more.
This would be incredibly hard but it seems so.... cool!

Date:   Mar 27, 13 at 9:06am (PST)
quote DedValve
HunterKiller666 stop trolling. Everyone knows RE6's story is the most confusing and difficult puzzle of them all to solve.
Oh don't even get me started on the RE6 puzzles. The control panel at the underground prison in Leon's campaign, I mean, what the *bleep* is that? There are 3, I repeat, THREE goddamn numbers you have to punch in sequence to unlock certain doors. And there are a total of, get this, FIVE doors you can unlock, but only one of them is the right door. How in the hell do they expect you to do this shit? Punching in random numbers would have taken me hours unless I get super-duper lucky. Fortunately I played this part with haalyle and I was absolutely shocked how she got it on the 2nd try. She's just that lucky I guess.

Author:   haalyle
Date:   Mar 27, 13 at 11:32pm (PST)
quote HunterKiller666
Oh don't even get me started on the RE6 puzzles. The control panel at the underground prison in Leon's campaign, I mean, what the *bleep* is that? There are 3, I repeat, THREE goddamn numbers you have to punch in sequence to unlock certain doors. And there are a total of, get this, FIVE doors you can unlock, but only one of them is the right door. How in the hell do they expect you to do this shit? Punching in random numbers would have taken me hours unless I get super-duper lucky. Fortunately I played this part with haalyle and I was absolutely shocked how she got it on the 2nd try. She's just that lucky I guess.
I've played that campaign the inside-out.

The first door is 210, the second is 021 and the third one is 201 (these are the doors that will let you continue on), that was all just by memory too.

The one puzzle that got me stuck for about an hour was on Ada's campaign, where you gotta leave the pit top open to get the chest (that the 'smart' zombie put down there using a lever ). It took me awhile, but I got it within losing about a whole clip of ammo in frustration.

Date:   Apr 03, 13 at 5:27pm (PST)
Where they hard because they genuinely stumped you or because the game didn't make it clear through either bad programming or something else? Just curious.

Also DOWNPOUR. On hardest riddle things just start getting silly. Absolutely silly. If that wasn't bad Downpour had some of the easiest puzzles ever (although I did like how more involved they were than previous games. The police scanner thing for example was really cool).

Author:   Eupraxis
Date:   Apr 06, 13 at 12:56am (PST)
quote DedValve
Where they hard because they genuinely stumped you or because the game didn't make it clear through either bad programming or something else? Just curious.

Also DOWNPOUR. On hardest riddle things just start getting silly. Absolutely silly. If that wasn't bad Downpour had some of the easiest puzzles ever (although I did like how more involved they were than previous games. The police scanner thing for example was really cool).

I have to agree about Silent Hill Downpour, It had some fantastic puzzles, and I am pretty happy I did not complete them all on my first play through. In Silent Hill 3, I can not exactly remember where but there was some puzzle in the hospital, with lots of numbers to get a door open. Me and my partner spent ages from 4AM till 6AM to get it solved.

Date:   Apr 06, 13 at 6:54am (PST)
I really love how Vatra just "got it". Almost every idea about how a classic survival/horror should work in the modern era Vatra nailed it perfectly, it's an incredible shame that the game was so damn buggy because if it weren't for that it'd easily be the defining game of the horror genre this generation. It just so perfectly translated SH into a bunch of fresh new ideas and concepts and the puzzles themselves where just glorious.

I love how you felt like your actually doing investigative work within the game rather than being thrown some cryptic poem that even a literary professor would scratch their head at (although there might be some of those on the hardest puzzle difficulty). A shame that Konami will no longer work with them, here's hoping they blame Downpours shortcomings on only the glitches and nothing else since that was what really ruined that game.

Goddamn I sound like a PR idiot when I talk about that game. But it really is THAT good.

Author:   RogueOperator
Date:   Apr 07, 13 at 12:18pm (PST)
You know, from what i've played of Downpour, there are way too many enemies on the streets. After literally just getting into Silent Hill I had to fight like six enemies with my axe and there was no way to run away from them. Annoyed the hell out of me.

Also any puzzle when I was below the age of six was impossible to me pretty much.

Author:   Pmc44444
Date:   Apr 07, 13 at 1:17pm (PST)
I got stuck in some of the puzzles in Uncharted 3 damn some of them are so so so so hard for a non-puzzle person haaa!

Date:   Apr 08, 13 at 5:18am (PST)
The first Uncharted actually had some decent puzzles, 2 and 3 puzzles were literally as simple as picking up block and inserting into hole.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.