Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Voodoo 5 6000 on E-Bay - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/406/t191445-voodoo-5-6000-on-bay/

Author:   Tbirddriver
Date:   Feb 11, 03 at 2:11pm (PST)
Subject:   Voodoo 5 6000 on E-Bay
-------------------------------------------
For those of you who are interested there is a Voodoo 5 6000 for sale on E-Bay.
Here's the link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3401130323&category=3762[B]

Author:   CleavesF
Date:   Feb 11, 03 at 7:08pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Voodoo 5 6000 on E-Bay
Even though this is very attractive... especially since I really do want one, it seems this guy's Voodoo 5 6000 is DOA beyond resurrection.

what a waste...

Author:   Mouse
Date:   Feb 20, 03 at 6:13pm (PST)
Subject:   Voodoo 6k
I was wondering if anyone could possible e-mail me or post some actual screen shots of this beast in action. I would appreciate it if ANYONE could take some screen shots in quake 3. If anyone can help me out. Please e-mail me @ carlos_o5@yahoo.com THANKS@!@!@!@!!

ps. I had an uncle that worked for 3dfx. He got me a few voodoo5's but no voodoo6k's Gosh DARN!! LoL

Author:   farshadan
Date:   Mar 15, 03 at 7:24am (PST)
Just give it up, whether it's a real auction or just a trick; couz the VOODOO periods are really over!
Even new SIS Xabre series (you know they are real Value cards!)do things better! believe me.

Date:   Mar 17, 03 at 8:15am (PST)
ahhhh... but the beauty of Voodoo isn't because of performance in today's games or compatibility...

It's the chance of owning one of the rarest video cards ever made, by the pioneers of what we call 3D gaming today.

With only about 50 made, and about half of those functional, any Voodoo 6000 working or not is worth grabbing.

I guess people see it as a waste, and I can see that. But in Voodoo Devotees everywhere it's so much more. I'd give up my modded Radeon 9700 (9500) for one with my 5500 and GF4mx.

Author:   punisher1
Date:   Mar 18, 03 at 2:22am (PST)
in florida they only made 26 hatchback wagon pintos with wood trim, does that mean I'm going to give up my my Ferrari for it?
My computer is SuperCooled (my cpu is 20 below zero right now).

Would you trade in the bottom rig. (the one im typing on right now) for a old 486 just cause its rare?

VapoChill.com tower Premium Edition Ti, Abit IT7MAX2, P4 2.66@ 3.43 Ghz, 2- GEIL 466MhzDDR PLATINUM 512mb dimms, GeForce4 Ti 128mb, Audigy X-Gamer 5.1, 650watt Enermax EG651P-VE(FMA) dkblue, Optorite52x24x52 CDRW Black, (1) 60 GB IBM 7200rpm C drive. & 120 GB Raid0 Array (2 - 60 Gig IBM 7200rpm HD's) D drive (tons of other state of art stuff, too much to list)

Windows XP Professional SP1 DX9

Klipsch THX Promedias 500W 5.1 Speakers
SGI Sony GDM FW900 24" Wide Screen Monitor

Bottom line is the v5 6000 was a lame duck piece of hardware that never made production because it was slower than much less expensive video cards that were readily available at the time. (Hint Hint the Geforce2 Ultra, and the entire GF3 line)

Author:   Gxcad
Date:   Mar 18, 03 at 6:40am (PST)
punisher, obvioulsy you're not making relevant comparisons. A 486 is not rare at all btw, it is EXTREMELY common, compare that with 50 units EVER there is more than 50 486's in one city let alone in the world. Though I personally don't want one THAT much, I can see how it has appeal. Btw, punisher you got a killer monitor!

-Gxcad

Date:   Mar 19, 03 at 1:39am (PST)
3DFX ex-engineers probably don't even care about this "prototype" card because it didn't represent a leap forward when it was released because it was such a dismal performer. Why do you think there was almost no published benchmarks ever of the card? 3DFX banned any publishing of benmarks. Thats way almost none exist.

I used to be one of 3DFX's biggest fans, I owned an original Monster 4mb "addon" video accelerator and then later bought one of the very first "Voodoo Rush" 16mb accelerators. Which tons of people had tons of problems with the Rush card I didn't mine was a very good experience, back in the first gen accelerated games I played such as Turok, Motoracer, Shogo, MW3, Quake 2, & Battlezone days.

Now if you had a Obsidian 2 X-24 Dual Voodoo 2 SLI solution video card for sale that would impress me much more. To this day that card looks psycho, 2 video cards stacked on top of each other on one card. Because this card in 1998 3dfx's heyday was the Frame Rate King!! And it cost $700 dollars! The X24 HELD the title for quite awhile. I don't think any video card produced will be able to hold the title of "fastest video card on earth" as long as the X24 did.

The V56000 was a never was, at least the Obsidian2 X-24 Dual Voodoo 2 SLI 4 used to the absolute proven best.

The V56000 was a prototype that was and was WAY TOO LATE and WAY TOO SLOW to compete with the hordes of Geforce 3 cards that were coming to market.

Bottom Line V56000 was slower than a plain jain GF3 & barely faster than a GF2 Ultra. Thats why it didn't make production and the final reason why 3dfx went belly up.

Don't preach to me brother about 3dfx, I lived it !!!

HEY my whole system is KILLER and "always upgrading" LOL BTW thanks for the compliment.

This message was edited by punisher1 on Mar 18 2003.

Date:   Mar 19, 03 at 2:39am (PST)
http://www.digit-life.com/articles/innogfmx/gf2mx-obsidian.jpg

look at a old GeForce 2 Mx next to the X24............

Interesting photograph

Date:   Mar 19, 03 at 3:47am (PST)
The reason the V5 6k was never benched was because it was never produced. It was never available to the public.

Drivers were also never finalized. They were always in the beta stages for the VSA-100 chip.

Once again, the V5 6k is a good card for one purpose... well two actually:

1) Gaming history
2) Glide

That's it. During the time of the 3dfx domination Glide was the only API to play with. The graphics were awesome, and the gameplay was faster than software. There were Glide Exclusive games too. I dunno about you but half my games support Glide. Quake II represent!

You also dismiss the fact that the Voodoo Rush was never a good card. It was the first generation 2d/3d combo card, and early on they were never good.

2d/3d combo cards didn't get good until Banshee came around. Mind you, I had one of those. I also owned a V3, V4, and V5.

Diss all you want for your mistake in purchasing the Rush, but I betcha if you had a Banshee you would have thought otherwise.

The Obsidian was never affordable for SLI. Quantum in fact is still using the VSA-100 chips in their high end workstation systems.

Before you Nvidiot my ass, please do some research yourself.

This is a classic video card, much like a classic car. Older can be more expensive. I mean do you think you can buy a Ford Model-T for 50 bucks since it's so old? Gimme a break. Speed isn't everything.

Once you lose appreciation for the past, you lose sight of the future.

Date:   Mar 19, 03 at 6:10am (PST)
I have owned a Banshee nice video card, and a handful of Voodoo class video cards NONE WERE A MISTAKE & I loved them all its just ancient history. Its about time to bury 3dfx the dead is stinkin up the place.. Its time to move on.

HEY THE UNIVAC COMPUTER in the 50's was one of one took up a whole warehouse and had the power of a calculator. Doesn't mean I would trade my 3.4ghz Super Cooled Monster for her. Peace I respect your views tho...

"I dunno about you but half my games support Glide. Quake II represent" <-------- Q2 is a dinosaur, you might as pull out yer old Atari 2600, you will like playing PacMan again.

Sorry I play BF1942, UT2003, MOHAA, CFS3, NFS2HS, SOF2 and the upcoming dx9 DoomIII to just name a couple. You cant do 32 bit anything or get any kind of frame rate on Voodoo anything including the V5 6000 sorry. If I wanted to go back play DukeNukem3d I would pack up my system today... LOL

This message was edited by punisher1 on Mar 18 2003.

Date:   Mar 19, 03 at 10:20pm (PST)
Personally I think my modded Radeon 9500->9700 does the job for all my games.

I get around 4100 3dmarks2k3 and around 12000 3dmark2k1 with my system.

This was only for Quake II

Most games that come out today lack the gameplay of yesteryear. Even the newest C&C's AI and missions are blant compared to the Original.

Some in the original had baseless commando missions which Generals lack. Thumbs down for most new games. NOLF2 though wasn't bad...

one more

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3407094731&category=3762

Date:   Mar 19, 03 at 11:45pm (PST)
actually 12000 is a very respectable score for a modded 9500. My system is doing around that... My VidCard is the weakest link. Can you believe that? A GF4 4200 TI 128mb is the weakest link? LOL Radeon 9700's are doing 19000 + with 3GhZ+ P4's systems like mine. I'm waiting for whatevers after the FX & the 9800 to upgrade. I want a "really good" dx9 card, I'm not going to jump at the first gen dx9 parts coming out now. I just gotta hold a lil bit longer : )

Its awesome talking to old school pc gamers, I don't feel so old now. : )

Date:   Mar 20, 03 at 5:28am (PST)
Hey... the first gen DX9 cards are already out.

Sabre
Radeon 9100? (not sure)/9500/9700 series (R300 chip)
GeForce FX

the 9600/9800's are the 2nd gens. ehehehe, you might as well put down your preorder. That memory clock is so high...

And thanks for the praise. I was getting 3dmark2k3 scores around 3900, but the new modded Catalyst 3.2 drivers upped my score 200!!! I basically did nothing!

Now only if the third party 3dfx drivers were like that...

Author:   brutas257
Date:   May 08, 03 at 1:42am (PST)
The main reason 3dfx never released the 6000 was b/c the sold out to nvidia to settle a reverse engineering suit that was against them and with sales down the couldn't compete. It's like the playstation 2 when you compare it to the xbox it sux but eventually sony hopes to pick it up or above the xbox's quality well 3dfx was trying to take it up to the next level and got slapped down. I am and always will be a 3dfx supporter. you always have to remember your roots.
dave
avid 3dfx card collector

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.