Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: cpu update - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/17/t1773087-cpu-update/

Author:   korky45
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 7:53am (PST)
Subject:   cpu update
-------------------------------------------
I have an oldie PCChips motherboard, M810LR V5, with a Duron 1300mhz installed. Can i do a straight swop with a working Athlon XP+ processor which i have been given. I am looking for a bit more speed. Can anyone help?

Manythanks

Author:   harbin
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 8:09am (PST)
Subject:   re: cpu update
A Duron? Bloody hell.

Checked and they both seem to be Socket A, not alot of information around with them being such old chips but from what I gather, the Athlon XP should work in the board.

Out of curiosity, what is the Athlon XP chip you've got?

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 2:05pm (PST)
dear god...

honestly, id just spend a few hundred on a new system. it would be faster, more modern, quieter, and would use less power.

Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 4:06pm (PST)
Its an AX1900DMT36 - it cost nothing and I fancy changing a processor - never done one before. If it goes badly wrong it wont matter to much and I'll enjoy the experience. Thanks for the help I'll give it a go.

Author:   Iceguy2003
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 7:25pm (PST)
Looks like it could depend on the actual CPU and which BIOS you are running. I don't think you would hurt anything by trying, but obviously I can't guarantee that and be held responsible lol.

Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 11:34am (PST)
I appreciate any help I get and no probs about holding anyone responsible, whatever I do its my own decision. Before I begin I'll look around for a BIOS update, do you think I would need an Athlon cooler as well - I expect the XP will run hotter than a Duron.

Thanks again for the advice.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.