Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Blizzard Lied About Diablo 3 - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/39822/t1744929-blizzard-lied-about-diablo-3/

Author:   CarRamrod
Date:   Jul 10, 12 at 2:55pm (PST)
Subject:   Blizzard Lied About Diablo 3
-------------------------------------------
I was browsing around the Battle.net forums and seeing everyone being pissed off about this terrible title, unworthy of the Diablo name, and came across a post that has been repeated many times.

If you don't wanna look at it since it's very long just watch the first video of Diablo 3 from 2008, which he discusses. The features shown in that video would have made for an awesome game that is actually an ARPG and Diablo, not just this crappy action game we got that has no actual RPG elements to it since we don't actually make ANY choices that affect the game. The game does your stats for you so all you do is run around killing dumb, super-affixed mobs.

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Jul 10, 12 at 5:47pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Blizzard Lied About Diablo 3
So... What's your point?

Diablo 3 is still a great game. Just because it's not your type of game, doesn't make it any less bad.

Diablo 3 wasn't made by Blizzard North, who made D1 and 2. They stopped working on it. It only makes sense that Diablo 3 has a different feel to it.

Dungeon crawler games are great. If you don't like them, don't buy them.

Author:   Orgazmo
Date:   Jul 10, 12 at 7:40pm (PST)
I can see where you might be a little perturbed by them taking out a lot of things but it was all during an alpha/beta build. They never lied to anyone. People had ample time to play/watch beta footage and get a feel for the game. Sure, a lot of the things in that post would be interesting to have in the game, but it's their game and they can make it how they want. They tested all the things that were talked about and if they took them out, I'm sure there was a reason. I seriously doubt they would go through all the work to code things into the game just to tease people.

Author:   Marc
Date:   Jul 10, 12 at 7:45pm (PST)
After watching that video all I can think is what the *bleep* has blizzard been doing for 4 years?

Author:   BlackLabel
Date:   Jul 11, 12 at 4:50am (PST)
quote Marc
After watching that video all I can think is what the *bleep* has blizzard been doing for 4 years?
They spent a lot of that 4 years listening to those in the beta and ignoring everything they said.. Those in beta had nothing but praise for the game they loved the user interface, they loved the levelling system, they loved how it felt like Diablo 2 but with fancy graphics. In fact the only thing they hated was a load stutter issue when the game loaded in assets. Blizzard took all this praise and love from the beta and decided to change the user interface, the levelling system and funnily enough the only thing they didn't fix was the load stutter issue which was the main complaint. Blizzard messed up with Diablo 3 and while it is still a fun game it is nothing like the game it would have been had Blizzard North still been in charge.

Date:   Jul 12, 12 at 9:31pm (PST)
quote Crusad3r
So... What's your point?

Diablo 3 is still a great game. Just because it's not your type of game, doesn't make it any less bad.

Diablo 3 wasn't made by Blizzard North, who made D1 and 2. They stopped working on it. It only makes sense that Diablo 3 has a different feel to it.

Dungeon crawler games are great. If you don't like them, don't buy them.
That's the thing. Diablo 3 isn't a great game. I guarantee you if it wasn't called Diablo 3 or made by Blizzard it wouldn't have gotten the praise from reviewers that it did. Go over onto Metacritic and look at the user reviews. It's astounding the number of negative reviews it received from the user base compared to the 'official' reviews, which IMO get paid off by companies a lot of the time(but that's just my opinion).
If this wasn't a Diablo game then I would have no problem with the game, hell I wouldn't have bothered to buy it. The mechanics, setup, etc. are not a Diablo game at all which is what myself and most others are pissed about. Go onto Battle.net's forums and look at the plethora of negative threads about the game regarding the loot system, AH/RMAH, boring and linear gameplay, and flat out boring/dumb gear. Diablo 2 was designed to have you hooked for YEARS on the item hunt, which in this game feels like a chore.

You are correct though in one respect, this is a dungeon crawler and not an ARPG, as it's just an action game since it has ZERO RPG elements in it. No one decision ever affects the rest of the game as does in a RPG. So it's not that it's not my type of game, it's the fact that it's not an ARPG, let alone a true Diablo title. If you had played the previous title in the series you would understand completely.

The true reasons Blizzard removed all of the great features, ruined the loot system, and dumbed the game down is that it comes down to profit. By making the loot system awful they are able to use us as guinea pigs for their RMAH so that they can make more money through that. Secondly, they made the game simpler and dumber so that it can be a straight port to consoles for more money while the company can proclaim, "IT'S THE SAME GREAT EXPERIENCE AS YOU GET ON THE PC VERSION! ALL CASUAL GAMERS COME BUY THIS P.O.S. NOW!!!" Simple as that.

Blizzard makes 15% per transaction in the RMAH, what a joke!

EDIT: Blizzard had, I don't know if they are still there or not, jobs available for console developers, which is why I say they want to port it to console. It has been rumored as well, even though that doesn't mean much.

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Jul 12, 12 at 10:06pm (PST)
I own and have played Diablo 1 and 2 for years. I still don't get your point. If I wanted a Diablo 2 copy I'd just go back and play d2. D3 is a new and fresh game.

Having looked at most of the 'critics', I can honestly say that for me, they were all bogus. I'm not seeing where the complaints are coming from. The only one I can understand is the intrusive drm, but I don't have much of a problem with it as it allows for much better multiplayer gameplay.

Date:   Jul 13, 12 at 8:22am (PST)
The better multiplayer that was cut from 8 players to 4, stripped of duels, and which uses some of the worst servers possible for an online game? Oh, that multiplayer. Gotcha.

Most people want a sequel to be similar to its predecessors, not completely different and stripped from what made those games so great. If you want a different game then buy/develop a different game and not under the beloved series' name. Stop being a blind Blizzard fanboy. I've had this discussion with many other people, and even the ones that love the game as you do admit these faults as well, especially once they get over a hundred hours into it. As I said before Diablo 2 was designed to have you hooked for years, as have most Blizzard titles. When I'm seeing stats stating there has been a 65% player drop in one month that speaks volumes about the failure that this game is.

Author:   LloydToS
Date:   Jul 13, 12 at 10:01am (PST)
Just gonna hop in here and say you are both right, D3 is a diablo game, the core of the game is still pretty much the same. Killing tons of monsters through random dungeons for random loot, however. In the detailing they have done alot of things that old players aren't happy with. I.E. the massive stats on gear allow for too much variety on a per-item basis which makes finding upgrades a problem as it is now. Then there are smaller things such as the stat allocating etc. I think the skill system is good the way it is, the levelling of skills wouldn't have hurt me to stay in the game but it is admittedly a bit of a tedious system. I think if they released this game at a later stage, had opened up more than just the beginning of act 1 during the beta and had the pvp all done then you would have had much less complaining.

P.S. Calling someone that defends Blizzard a fanboy doesn't make you sound any better, just saying it because the whole Blizzard forums are filled with people doing it for no reason.

For me, the game is on hold for a while. I got bored of it due to the fact Inferno is no longer like prepatch. The game has a few huge flaws, first of all. Only endgame = Act 4 hell till Act 4 inferno, they should have made normal-nightmare be lvl 1-60 and have hell the easy endgame and inferno the hard endgame. Loot is TOO random, if you can find items with only max 100 of a stat you will find upgrades much easier than 1-300. Then there is the fact there are no lobbies just like SC2, which came out like 2 years ago and people have been complaining about it since. Same mistake on 2 games with more than enough time to fix it. This thing is getting rather big so I'll leave it at this.

Author:   tekmosis
Date:   Jul 13, 12 at 10:32am (PST)
Been playing since the first Diablo and I have to say that D3 is a huge disappointment. The entire game was worked around the concept of the AH and the RMAH. All these changes have sort of proven it as well, all the farming spots have been nerfed. Blizzard wants you to play the game how they think you should, not how you think you should. Who cares if I want to spend all my time doing Watch Tower runs to try and farm Resplendent Chests? Nerfed, MF no longer affects chests. Say whaaaa? Right, because it'd affect the economy off the AH's.

I think the longevity of D3 is drying up and for a lot of people it's already past its prime. I haven't logged into D3 for a couple weeks now.

Date:   Jul 13, 12 at 1:21pm (PST)
quote tekmosis
Blizzard wants you to play the game how they think you should, not how you think you should.

I think this is 100% correct. Aside from the auction house dependency the lack of skill trees seriously cut into the way you play your character. In D2 your flamethrowing bear tanking druid was your own because you skilled him that way but in D3 there is really no point in having say 2 level 60 monks, there are seriously a limited amount of playstyles. Change your little hotbar skills all you want its still not the same.

The only difference with me and everybody in this thread is that I'm still having a blast on HC, I don't see the reason to be grinding on softcore anymore, but rather just playing the game with bros on HCM. The promise of PVP is keeping me going. Call me crazy but I do have faith that there will be hardcore PVP in which case that would be AWESOME.

Keeping my fingers crossed here.

Author:   MarkusK
Date:   Jul 15, 12 at 12:19am (PST)
I think Diablo3 is a great game, of course Blizzard cant make every single player happy about the results but that is what they have to deal with as gaming company.
There will be always good and bad sides in Diablo3, lets just hope this game wont fade away

Date:   Jul 17, 12 at 1:20pm (PST)
You made me lol. Read some of the posts further up the screen that explain the problems. And about Blizzard not being able to please everybody. Considering the number of players has dropped significantly and still is dropping, I'm pretty sure they have more displeased fans than pleased ones. They didn't maintain years of gameplay with Diablo 2 using this asshole business strategy, they used FUN.

Author:   Explosions Hurt
Date:   Jul 17, 12 at 6:42pm (PST)
To be honest, I bought D3 as my first Diablo game and am already bored of the linearity in the 2nd Act. I'm holding out for Torchlight II.

Date:   Jul 17, 12 at 6:49pm (PST)
quote CarRamrod
They didn't maintain years of gameplay with Diablo 2 using this asshole business strategy, they used FUN.
Diablo 2 was the wild west of RPG's. Back in the day talking to people via an online game was new shit. All of a sudden you could log into anybodys world and kill monsters with your friends. The story line and skilling system was not as in your face and you as a player had all the freedom you wanted. I mean sure, spammers, ninjas, and scammers all sucked ass but it added to the experience that made you learn and enjoy playing in a community. The AH just takes all the personality away from playing with people.

Its not a game its almost like a work simulator minus the thrill of a community.

quote Explosions Hurt
To be honest, I bought D3 as my first Diablo game and am already bored of the linearity in the 2nd Act. I'm holding out for Torchlight II.

Honestly man I recommend playing some D2 get it for cheap now because Blizzard finally dropped the deuce.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.