Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Demon Hunters: discussion - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/39822/t1735621-demon-hunters-discussion/

Author:   gogengantes
Date:   May 22, 12 at 2:35pm (PST)
Subject:   Demon Hunters: discussion
-------------------------------------------
Hey everyone,

I wanted to make a thread about Demon Hunters, which skills you like and which are the best ones to use in different situations etc...

I find that in order to play properly with a demon hunter you should be able to switch between your skills more easily. For example I think the boala shot is the best one for AOE, especially with the bigger explosion range, but the first shot (can't remember the name) with the pierce rune is better for bosses because of the possibility of having multiple hits. The cooldown you get from swithing your skills is pretty annoying imo...

Any other Demon Hunters who could care to share their experiences so far?

Author:   Fatal Error
Date:   May 22, 12 at 2:49pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Demon Hunters: discussion
The best setup (if you don't mind slightly drawn out fights) is to have weapons with high attack rate, health regen (vampiric weapons in particular), and all electric based attacks.

I mapped my skill keys to Z, X, C, and V. I have Entangling Shot with Electric Chain or whatever on the Z slot, then Vault (with knockback/stun rune) on X, Caltrops (damage dealing) on C, and Guardian (Bat) on V. Keep the bat around at all times and just go to town with the attacks. I have Bola Shot (Electric rune) on my primary and Elemental (Electric) bullet as my secondary.

I can literally line up, drop a caltrops at my feet, and just hold down the left mouse button while occasionally pressing Z and right click and just mow people down. If I swap Entangling shot to the runes that have a greater slow effect, I can sit there holding down right click and just blow everyone over in a few seconds. The bat companion restores my mana incredibly quickly as well.

The best part though is the use of Bola Shot with the stun potential and a high hit rate. My setup has a hit rate at 2 per second (though I can get it higher with some better suited armors), and it isn't rare for me to completely stun lock any enemy. The only issue is that I am susceptible to mobs when I use that strategy, so I will often have to rotate with elemental arrow and drop caltrops around to protect myself.

Vault is basically a "must use" skill for escaping dangerous mobs. I recommend the knockback rune because it doubles as an assist skill when on multiplayer (I will often stun a group after my buddies draw them in as a warrior or monk).

Author:   Tancuras
Date:   May 22, 12 at 3:21pm (PST)
quote gogengantes
Hey everyone,

I wanted to make a thread about Demon Hunters, which skills you like and which are the best ones to use in different situations etc...

I find that in order to play properly with a demon hunter you should be able to switch between your skills more easily. For example I think the boala shot is the best one for AOE, especially with the bigger explosion range, but the first shot (can't remember the name) with the pierce rune is better for bosses because of the possibility of having multiple hits. The cooldown you get from swithing your skills is pretty annoying imo...

Any other Demon Hunters who could care to share their experiences so far?
Why don't you just map both of those skills with Elective Mode? Since more often than not you're going to encounter both rare spawns and smaller monsters in clusters together.

Date:   May 22, 12 at 10:16pm (PST)
quote Tancuras
Why don't you just map both of those skills with Elective Mode?
Just got the game yesterday so didn't know about elective mode yet. Will look into that

Author:   Orgazmo
Date:   May 22, 12 at 10:40pm (PST)
I haven't played a Demon Hunter yet (Monks ftw), but my friend that I ran Hell with plays a Demon Hunter. My favorite skills aesthetically are Smoke Screen (?) and whatever that skill is that gives you green wings. Both of the look awesome and make me jealous. I'll probably make a Demon Hunter next, though. I need a ranged class.

Author:   Inuyasha19
Date:   May 22, 12 at 10:52pm (PST)
I like my Demon Hunter, but the thing about it that I don't like is the glassyness. I know that's why they're in the game, but gah I die too quickly. Thankfully the Templar does his job for the most part.

I have my Primary as Entangling Arrow, Secondary as Ninja star thingies, Q as run the *bleep* away shadow thing, w as Mark, e as Multishot, and r as Raining arrows from the sky *bleep*. Probably not the best set up, but I feel the entangling arrow helps me kite a lot more.

I have a HC 18 monk right now, and I agree with Orgazmo. Monks ftw. XD

Author:   Naked Snak3
Date:   May 25, 12 at 3:10pm (PST)
For my demon hunter I use Hungering Arrow and Elemental Arrow as my mouse buttons. QWER are set as Preparation, Multishot, Evasive Fire, and Smoke Screen. I don't usually stray from this too much. It really sucks when you get to boss and you want to change your abilities. However, being lv60 means you have a passive MF buff from killing elite mobs and if you change your skills you lose your buff.

So does anyone else feel Companion is useless spell? I can't see myself ever using anything but the ferrets on easy modes where damage and survivability are not an issue.

Author:   timeshine
Date:   May 25, 12 at 7:12pm (PST)
I'm finding caltrops and rapid fire to be my favorites by far. Combing caltrops with hooked spikes and cull of the weak is quite powerful as the increased damage in addition to the 80% slow is just amazing. Vault is great for getting out of surrounds and bola shot takes care of numerous enemies and packs a punch against elite enemies. Rain of vengeance is also quite nice.

Date:   May 26, 12 at 1:44pm (PST)
Can't forget Shurikens for clearing mobs around you. Caltrops+Shurikens when you're surrounded (with Jagged Spikes or whatever rune that damages with Caltrops) reallly helps when dealing with regular mobs.

Date:   May 26, 12 at 3:14pm (PST)
What passive skills do you guys like to use btw? I've got the archery one, the +15% damage for slowed enemies and the +20% damage for distance.

Date:   May 26, 12 at 6:41pm (PST)
I use that in groups. Use engineering instead of the distance one otherwise.

Author:   Yoshi Fanatic
Date:   May 26, 12 at 8:34pm (PST)
I go with Archery (Bow), Steady Aim, and Torment the Weak. Combine that with Frost Arrow Rune with that thing that makes arrows fall out of the sky and entire packs fall extremely quick since I pretty much have a constant 50% damage bonus.

Author:   Killerkrewl
Date:   Jun 10, 12 at 7:51am (PST)
I have a lvl 60 DH and i get killed easy. my damage is 42,000 and health is 30,000. what should i do? what passive skils should i use? when finding gear and weapons what is the one thing i should look for? Help?

Author:   Shiris
Date:   Jun 10, 12 at 9:59am (PST)
Stack crit + crit dmg + a lil attack speed, and grab discipline items on whatever slot is available. A weapon with crit dmg and an empty socket for a crit dmg gem pretty much boosts your damage dramatically with good crit.

Pretty much everyone runs the same build in inferno (except for a few boss farming exceptions where you swap impale and caltrops for companion and marked for death with hatred regeneration runes):

- smoke screen (lingering fog: the extra duration even after the nerf gives you just enough time to survive a lot of stuff that you normally can't without it): spammable invulnerability (can still dps while its up too)
- prep (invigoration): gives you back all your discipline for more smoke screen spam
the 2 above lets you spam smoke screen for a while
- hungering arrow (devouring arrow)
- elemental arrow (nether tentacles: it can hit several times in one shot)
- impale (grevious wounds for 100% extra dmgs on crits, and you should be critting often as a DH)
- caltrops (jagged edge so it does damage)

Steady aim + archery + sharpshooter are also standard.

----------------------------------------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSTjo94s-QM&feature=youtu.be (someone's inferno demon hunter solo) for kicks

Author:   blackomega34
Date:   Jun 15, 12 at 1:12am (PST)
I am on NM with my DH at the moment, It is too easy. It is OK to be a glass cannon if they never hit you.
my build:

Lclick: Hungering arrow, shatter shot
Rclick: Rapid fire, withering or supporting fire
1: Cluster arrow, dazzling arrow (elective)
2: Vault, action shot
3: Fan of knives, first rune idk the name
4: Rain of vengeance, no rune (because with no rune it stays even when you are dead and it crits much more than the first rune)

DH is my favorite class and the most effective until inferno (where he turns into a glass cannon)

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.