Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Game Information - (Contains News, Interviews, and Gameplay Videos/Trailers) - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/39822/t1182880-game-information-contains-news-interviews-gameplay-videos-trailers/

Author:   The Omega
Date:   Jun 28, 08 at 9:42pm (PST)
Subject:   Game Information - (Contains News, Interviews, and Gameplay Videos/Trailers)
-------------------------------------------
Official Diablo III Website

Lots of stuff to report here since this is a new forum. I will keep editing this post as I enter things in for all the stuff that has been reported to this date. Feel free to add on news I haven't gotten to and I'll try to link to it from this original post.

General Game Notes
- Will take place 20 years following the events of Diablo II
- The Worldstone, which Tyrael protected at the end of DII LoD, has been destroyed, no longer shielding the world of Sanctuary from Heaven or Hell
- Can choose the gender of your character
- Along with the regular storyline, there will be class-based quests
- Stat assigning will be automatic as you level up, reducing different types of builds within the same class

Classes
Barbarian - Same class as Diablo II version that adds some moves from the warrior class of World of Warcraft.
Witch Doctor - Class similar to the Necromancer. Raises undead to fight with him (such as zombies) and has own magic attacks as well.
Wizard - Basic magic using class, similar to the old magic classes of previous Diablo games, this class now has new tricks like Slow Time and Disintegration.

Bestiary
Scavenger - Similar to Dune Threshers, they resemble burrowing Leapers.
Dune Thresher - A more dangerous Sand Maggot. Burrows underground and pops out to attack its victims.
Undead - Self-explanatory. Similar to undead from previous Diablo games.
Khazra - They are the Goatmen from Diablo II with a new name.
Gnarled Walkers - Evil walking trees of DOOM! Think of treants, except more deranged.
Dark Cultists - The pic of them makes them look like Darth Maul with his face melting, inhabited by a green glow. After reading about them, the closest I can compare them to are the Zakarum Priests from DII: Act III.

World Map

Environments
New Tristram - Essentially, a "new" Tristram was built by merchants outside of a Cathedral (sounds like the old Amazon Encampment). It's nearly deserted and is run down, but according to that web page it sounds like you'll meet Deckard Cain there early in the game.
Caldeum - A once major and proud city, it has become run down and filled with ill citizens after their Emperor died. The Zakarum are located in this city, and the web page mentions they quarrel with a "mage class." Possible mention of another class right there.

Dungeons
Tristram Cathedral - Sounds similar to the Cathedral in previous games. This Cathedral is located in the old Tristram itself, built over the remains of the imprisoned Diablo. Since that time, the Zakarum have encamped themselves on the inside. The web page mentions the Fallen are in this dungeon, a returning enemy not yet mentioned in the bestiary.

Lore
Deckard Cain's Journal - This brings up an interactive book that tells the story of what occurred in Diablo and Diablo II. You click the bottom corners of pages to turn the pages.
Diablo Timeline - Brief history of the events from Diablo and Diablo II.

Further Information

IGN Interview with Rob Pardo
That name reminds me of the Saturday Night Live announcer That interview contains numerous gameplay videos as well, so check them out. Some major information from that interview are:
- Going to be more of an action game than Diablo II
- More questing and role-playing elements than the previous Diablo games
- Boss battles that are more "epic" (Legend of Zelda was mentioned as an example)
- Game will once again be separated into acts
- Will have indoor and outdoor elements like DII, except the maps will be less randomized
- 5 classes with Barbarian and Witch Doctor confirmed (WD sounds similar to Necromancer in style)
- Likely to be released a year to a year and a half from now (maybe holiday 2009 season to early 2010)

Blizzard Fans Q&A

First Gameplay videos are listed one post below.
Official Diablo III Trailers and Wallpapers - That page apparently contains a 20 minute gameplay demo, so check it out

60 Screenshots - Gameplay views looks similar to the camera views from Diablo II and Dungeon Siege.

[color=#666666]This message was edited by The Omega on Jan 25 2009.

Author:   Lords of Darkness
Date:   Jun 28, 08 at 9:51pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Game Information - (Contains News, Interviews, and Gameplay Videos/Trailers)
quote The Omega
Deckard Cain's Journal - This brings up an interactive book that tells the story between the events of Diablo II and III, it seems. You click the bottom corners of pages to turn the pages.
Nah, It just goes over what happened in Diablo 1 and 2. Nothing after Tyreal destroys the Worldstone.

This message was edited by Lords of Darkness on Jun 28 2008.

Date:   Jun 28, 08 at 10:56pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Game Information - (Contains News, Interviews, and Gameplay Videos/Trailers)
Where'd your videos go? Unless they were the 20 minute gameplay video I linked to. I didn't watch it yet so not sure, I'll fix my original post accordingly to the journal and the video info. Still updating as I go section by section on their website.

Date:   Jun 28, 08 at 10:58pm (PST)
Yeah, the videos were excerpts from the 20 minute video. Kind of pointless to have them up.

Date:   Jun 28, 08 at 11:24pm (PST)
I didn't want to mess my first post up with additional views on features, but I wanted to mention some things about the World Map. You'll find the locations of older places on there (spread across the map, making it seem like the game isn't as massive as first thought). You'll be able to click on the locations on that map to go to their page on the website, and right now only two places are selectable. Obviously, there's no Hell on there since you had to get there via portal in DII

So far this game looks very awesome. With the character move videos on the class pages, this game is definitely more action oriented.

Author:   Arcaida
Date:   Jun 29, 08 at 12:04am (PST)
Blizzard said the idea of the game was to keep it more up-to-pace with all the action. Less time to idle, heal, and lolligag, so to say.

I definitely like the improvements made to how monster generation has been utilized. Monsters seemingly popping out of nowhere, keeping you on your toes. I think it's going to be a nice change of pace for old Diablo gamers, as well as a good hook for the new players.

I just hope the character development system allows for more intricacy. With Diablo 2, you had a lot of good options, but ideally there were a few great builds per class, and it seemed most people used the same gear and same builds after a while. I think the new system will let you get a little more personal with your character, something I'm a huge fan of.

Author:   HunterKiller666
Date:   Jun 29, 08 at 1:54am (PST)
Holy freaking sh*t! I just watched the gameplay demo and it looks absolutely incredible. When D3 was first announced, I wasn't too sure whether I should get it, but now I KNOW I have to get it. It's just too awesome.

Date:   Jun 29, 08 at 3:28pm (PST)
I really like how they have the interactive scenery, like breaking walls and things. I hope it's actually something useful and not just dotted around at a few key locations.

Author:   link_2004
Date:   Jul 01, 08 at 9:22pm (PST)
Release date?

Author:   Dine_Agoti
Date:   Jul 01, 08 at 10:01pm (PST)
There is none. Blizzard usually doesn't announce one nearly this early. People have predicted it's somewhere in Q3-Q4 of '09, though.

Date:   Jul 01, 08 at 10:17pm (PST)
I mentioned in the first post that in the IGN interview, Bliz mentioned they normally announce games about 1 1/2 years before they are set to release (and sometimes they are delayed), so expect it in late 2009 or Spring 2010. I will be CRAVING this game until it comes out. Each time I see my desktop wallpaper (the one showing Tristram dark and beaten down), I imagine myself running through it and fighting hordes of monsters.

Author:   Cipherwink
Date:   Jul 02, 08 at 12:22pm (PST)
What do you think of having a D3 online? D'ya think Blizz will put an online mode or something on the game?

Im puzzled with Cain's journal. I want to play Diablo from the start again. But Cain's journal seems good. But I think it will lack some of the original stories. I will still play early Diablo games before D3. Anyway, it will be released by 2010 so we still have much time. More than enough i think.

Date:   Jul 02, 08 at 2:43pm (PST)
Yeah, check out the Gameplay demo and they do mention BattleNet (online service they use for most Bliz games).

Date:   Jul 02, 08 at 8:10pm (PST)
Diablo without online multiplayer isn't Diablo. It's a lame attempt. D: Of course it'll have online, I wouldn't be suprised if they sack single player. (not really)

Author:   BluePhoenix
Date:   Jul 02, 08 at 8:16pm (PST)
I hope that battlenet will remain free unlike bloody WoW

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.