Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: ERROR: Unhandled Exception Caught - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/39766/t1255856-error-unhandled-exception-caught/

Author:   herbie_best
Date:   Oct 30, 08 at 7:28pm (PST)
Subject:   ERROR: Unhandled Exception Caught
-------------------------------------------
hello, i have recently downloaded the PC beta for COD: WW. Anyway, first off i had a problem with some missing file, i quickly sorted that out and when i thought all was well another error. This error said 'Unhandled Exception Caught', i have read through pages and pages of website trying to find a fix but none have worked.

Some things that might help you fix it:
I have Windows XP
I downloaded the file from FileShack.com
The error appears after i launch the game
Just before the error message an error report from windows asks me whether or not i want to send / not send the error to them.

Thanks for any help.

~The Undead Ninja...

Author:   Diamond Master
Date:   Oct 30, 08 at 8:56pm (PST)
Subject:   re: ERROR: Unhandled Exception Caught
Try downloading from another mirror, I downloaded from Fileshack & it gave me a corrupted file.

Author:   domagojposavac
Date:   Nov 13, 08 at 8:26pm (PST)
i have the same problem, but i think it's something else because my friends can play game without problems but i can't...... HELP ME SOMEBODY

Author:   Vv3n0M
Date:   Nov 14, 08 at 8:33am (PST)
I didn't have any problems whit the beta, but i have the same problem with the full game. I can play until i shut down or restart my computer, after that i CAN'T. I have to reinstall the game. It appears only for the multiplayer executable. Please help.

Author:   Lorry
Date:   Nov 16, 08 at 7:11pm (PST)
someone else has using same cdkey. thath cause it not work

Author:   bookface
Date:   Nov 21, 08 at 1:19pm (PST)
noob

Author:   Ewenutz
Date:   Nov 23, 08 at 9:45pm (PST)
i have had this problem for a while and i just fixed it. i deleted all accounts and the .txt file in the 'C:\ Users\ Username\ AppData\ Local\ Activision\ CoDWaW\ players' folder.

I then deleted the file 'Treyarch.bik' in the folder 'C:\ Program Files\ Activision\ Call of Duty - World at War\ main\ video'

Loaded the game perfectly. Hope this helps.

Author:   farter
Date:   Dec 20, 08 at 6:30am (PST)
error: "Error during initialization: Unhandled exception caught" is a stupid error attributed to the Way the game uses the Windows Vista playback Device.

To remedy this problem click:
Start>Control Panel>Sound
Right Click on the default playback device (e.g. Speakers) and click properties. From there select the Advanced tab.

To eliminate this error the default playback format must be set at 24 bit 48000Hz (Studio Quality).

Author:   virtuosi01
Date:   Dec 21, 08 at 8:29am (PST)
hi, im still have this error in cod5.

first off, here's my hardware:

AMD Athlon 3200+
1gb ram (dual channel mode)
geforce 8400
sound blaster audigy sound card
winXP SP2

yesterday, i bought the audigy card because ive read in many forums that on-board audio only delivers 20-bits. The audigy card should allow playback of 24-bit audio, which cod5 has.

so i installed the audigy card today, and tried cod5.. and im still getting the unhandled exception caught error.. the audigy is setup for 24bits and 48khz sampling..

please help..

Author:   Dan37542
Date:   Dec 26, 08 at 12:30pm (PST)
quote farter
error: "Error during initialization: Unhandled exception caught" is a stupid error attributed to the Way the game uses the Windows Vista playback Device.

Right Click on the default playback device (e.g. Speakers) and click properties. From there select the Advanced tab.

To eliminate this error the default playback format must be set at 24 bit 48000Hz (Studio Quality).

Thanks, i'll try this out, I had problems with my 3d surround sound in SP, if I looked at reznov, his voice went quite on the middle speaker.

Author:   Dave
Date:   Jan 29, 09 at 6:58am (PST)
I tried both Farter and ewenutz's suggestions and I still have the same error. It happens in mp at total random times for no apparent reason. Any other suggestions?

Author:   Dave
Date:   Feb 04, 09 at 7:40pm (PST)
The solution that worked for me is one that actually solved another similar error I faced.

The trick is to insert your DVD or mount your .iso file and navigate to [DVD Drive]:\Setup\Data\zone\english
This folder contains all of the fastfiles for each level in the game, these are vital for loading.
Sometimes, the installed files can get corrupted, so the best plan of action is to Copy and Paste them all from the DVD folder into the installation folder.
You should copy these files to the C:\Program Files\Activision\Call of Duty - World at War\zone\english folder and overwrite all of the files that are currently there. This should hopefully eradicate any future problems.
If you just want to replace the fastfiles for the level that you crash on, then only copy and paste those files.

I downloaded a second copy of the game, just to be sure that I was not copying corrupted files from my DVD.
The good thing about this fix is that you DO NOT have to reinstall the game.

Author:   hAsSaNY
Date:   Feb 11, 09 at 3:05am (PST)
I had this problem for 2 days after i instaled the game Mirrors Edge. I had to turn off the sound accelaration because it got mirrors edge sound to loud. Aparantly Cod:Waw needs this on to work, so i turned it back on and it solved the problem. Im not an expert so if someone understood what i did better then i explained would appreciate if you made some "Steps to follow" to solve this problem. Hope this helped, take care!

Author:   Cameronomicon
Date:   Feb 21, 09 at 10:01am (PST)
The help section on the game itself suggests turning down your soundcard acceleration to basic, seems to be the easiest way to resolve the issue, at least for me, after 2 reinstalls and patchings.....

Author:   gabkrys
Date:   Jul 23, 09 at 10:24am (PST)
[quote=Dan37542|message:23203813]
[quote=farter|message:23127724]error: "Error during initialization: Unhandled exception caught" is a stupid error attributed to the Way the game uses the Windows Vista playback Device.

I can't seem to find <sound> in my control panel. all i see is sounds and audio devices and I cant right clik properties it. am using winXP. help

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.