Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Need a Template - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/25323/t1824684-need-template/

Author:   Swampert X
Date:   Jan 30, 13 at 2:57pm (PST)
Subject:   Need a Template
-------------------------------------------
I need an extra Template for the Yu-Gi-Oh! Wiki for Anime episodes, who here has the guts to help me?

Whelan
Avalith
Dragoon

Author:   wildfire
Date:   Jan 30, 13 at 4:10pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Need a Template
Swampert X

I might give it a shot, it depends on what you want it to do (it'll give me an excuse to learn more about them).

Date:   Jan 30, 13 at 4:42pm (PST)
quote wildfire
Swampert X

I might give it a shot, it depends on what you want it to do (it'll give me an excuse to learn more about them).
simply a template for episodes.

a part where the events of the episode can be put
a part where the duel of the episode is put up
a part where cards used in that episode can be noted.

Date:   Jan 30, 13 at 4:53pm (PST)
quote Swampert X

What do you want it to look like when it's done? If you can make one from scratch I can make into a template easy enough.

I've got an idea for a table one:
{|Border="0" style="width: 50%;" 
|+"Notable events in<h3>{{{Episodename}}}</h3>
!Plot Outline
!Duel Highligts
!Featured Cards
!First Appearances
|-
|{{{Plot Outline}}} ||{{{Duel HIghlights}}} ||{{{Featured Cards}}} ||{{{First Apperances}}}
|}

That's what I came up with. Let me know if you had something different in mind .

Date:   Jan 30, 13 at 4:56pm (PST)
quote wildfire
quote Swampert X

What do you want it to look like when it's done? If you can make one from scratch I can make into a template easy enough.

I've got an idea for a table one:
{|Border="0" style="width: 50%;" 
!Summary
!Featured Duel
!Featured Cards
!Featured Characters
|-
|{{{Plot Outline}}} ||{{{Duel HIghlights}}} ||{{{Featured Cards}}} ||{{{First Apperances}}}
|}

That's what I came up with. Let me know if you had something different in mind .
changed your outline in the quote, it came pretty close tbh.

Date:   Jan 30, 13 at 5:21pm (PST)
Fixed it so it will center itself on the page. Do you want the text the be centered?

Here if you if want to use the it as a template:
<noinclude>{{Episode

|Episodename=

|Plot Outline=

|Duel Highlights=

|Featured Cards=

|First Appearances=
}} [[Category:Template]]</noinclude>

<includeonly>
{|Border="0" style="width: 50%; margin: 1em auto 1em auto" 
!Summary
!Featured Duel
!Featured Cards
!Featured Characters
|-
|{{{Plot Outline}}} ||{{{Duel Highlights}}} ||{{{Featured Cards}}} ||{{{First Appearances}}}
|}</includeonly>

I would paste it to a page and try it out first before you decide on it, but hey you can always change it later if you want. Just create a page titled Template:Episode and past that onto the page, or do you want me to do it?

Date:   Jan 30, 13 at 5:37pm (PST)
I'll allow you to put it in wildfire <- just quickly reread that and it sounds dirty XD

Dragoon:

Date:   Feb 01, 13 at 7:39pm (PST)
I was wondering how those templates on the pokemon wiki work - specifically the ability template. I've been viewing the source codes, and I'm amazed at how complex it is. I was trying to learn how to do parser functions by seeing them in action, but it's so confusing. I did manage to somewhat figure out how the types thing works.

As far as I can tell, when the abilities template is used, it calls abilities/entry template which calls the abilities/meta and types templates. It then goes on to arrange everything onto a table somehow. I really wish I was smart enough to figure that out on my own.

I've looked at the mediawiki and wikipedia pages to learn more, but nope. It's all numbers when we're dealing with words. I know it's the concept their trying to get across, but still. THEN there's this {{#explode: wihich doesn't even appear on the paser function page, so I don't even have a clue on that one.

Date:   Feb 02, 13 at 3:40am (PST)
I think Lesley Pro_04 created those wildfire

Author:   Relmutsie AN
Date:   Feb 02, 13 at 2:01pm (PST)
cough

Date:   Feb 02, 13 at 2:41pm (PST)
Relmutsie AN

would mind sharing how you did it? I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

edit:

What do these here do?

:: <- they're placed within the ability template and separate the fields.

{{#explode I'm assuming that this is a parser function? I couldn't find anything on it.

{{#if {{{1|}}} | checks against a few different things, but when I went back to see if there was a |1= somewhere where the person edits the one field I couldn't, and that's but a few examples that I have.

Author:   Relmutsie AN
Date:   Feb 02, 13 at 3:55pm (PST)
Man it's been so long since I've even looked at wiki code I'm not sure I could tell you. I didn't write the template, a guy named Fluroclad (overKill and *bleep* knows what other names he used) who was working on the wiki a long time ago did.

This could probably help you out with explode, but I remember not being able to make heads or tails of it, or use it in the right situation. I left the really complex stuff to him, Benedict and Prom

Author:   Lesley Pro_04
Date:   Feb 02, 13 at 10:11pm (PST)
quote Relmutsie AN
Man it's been so long since I've even looked at wiki code I'm not sure I could tell you. I didn't write the template, a guy named Fluroclad (overKill and *bleep* knows what other names he used) who was working on the wiki a long time ago did.

This could probably help you out with explode, but I remember not being able to make heads or tails of it, or use it in the right situation. I left the really complex stuff to him, Benedict and Prom
Symphonic Abyss also helped with a few other templates that were implemented on some pages. I'm only going off what I can recall at the moment because I only recently got home from work, and I have to turn right back around for an opening shift after tonight's closing shift.

I also left the overly complex stuff to Prometheusx303 because I don't know much about coding, which is like a completely different language to me, but I'm learning (slowly but surely).

Author:   Benedict
Date:   Feb 03, 13 at 9:45am (PST)
If you're familar with any other programming language you should know what each parser function does. There's a wiki page which describes syntax, combine the two and it's not hard.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.