Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Why are bows so bad? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/38854/t1771938-bows-so-bad/

Author:   vincentrago83
Date:   Oct 07, 12 at 8:27am (PST)
Subject:   Why are bows so bad?
-------------------------------------------
Ok so i wanted to try the bow out so i went to the training school and selected a tigrex quest. The fight went on for like 20 min and still no death! Am I doing something wrong, or does the bow just suck?

Author:   navv
Date:   Oct 07, 12 at 8:30am (PST)
Subject:   re: Why are bows so bad?
quote vincentrago83
Ok so i wanted to try the bow out so i went to the training school and selected a tigrex quest. The fight went on for like 20 min and still no death! Am I doing something wrong, or does the bow just suck?
bows dont suck but they have less damage jus keep triangle pressed and trow a lvl 2 charge

Author:   Hanners
Date:   Oct 07, 12 at 2:33pm (PST)
Frankly. I hate bows.

But, I know that they're one of the best weapons for certain fights. The reason they become good is that they're highly maneuverable, and with the use of armor skills like Adrenaline and food skills like Heroics, they can output a significant amount of damage as well as having good sustainability. The charged shots are really the only way to go, also don't forget to use your coatings, they're a significant contributor to the bow's damage output in most cases. (Which is probably why I don't like them.)
Also, don't forget about Elemental damage, that's the only point bows have that makes them good. Raw bows are almost useless in the grand scheme of things in my opinion.

Author:   gn_x00
Date:   Oct 07, 12 at 4:40pm (PST)
quote vincentrago83
Scatter bow like the one in Tigrex training is unfortunately one of the worse bow. Not to mention that the armor skill isn't helping much, and not charging the bow to max isn't going to help at all.

If you want to use bow, you should find the 3rd shot (or 4th with Load up skill) as Rapid or Pierce (depending on the monster that you want to kill). And the 4th shot isn't really a must, considering that they also takes more time to charge. Getting a Focus might be better than Load up Skill. Except for some bow like Dragon Harp (or something) where it need Load up to be the Gravios killer Bow.
Or just get both the focus and Load up >.>

Anyway, I think Bow is so mobile that it is almost impossible to get hit when you are using one (in exchange for some power), so Adrenaline/Heroic is a really good skill to have when using bow (you will die in one hit mostly in gunner armor with full health, so why bother with half health?).

Bow is one of the easiest to kill Gravios, Rajang and Fatalis, so it can't be that bad.

Don't forget your power coating though (and all combines to make them. bullet limit will help greatly). it increase the damage output for around 1.5x... (kinda forgot the exact number) and Close Range Coating also increase shot damage if you shot it from around 0-3 backhop range for either same or more than power coating. But close range coating isn't a must.

Author:   RathLord
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 1:16pm (PST)
Bows don't suck, you just need to learn how to use them. The bow for that training quest isn't the best true, but there's a bow I'm almost certain you can get that's actually really good. Queen Blaster I then upgrade it. True you can only use 3 coatings with it (Poison, Power, Paint) but they scatter and peirce combo is deadly againced pretty much all monsters especially a Tigrex. If done right, you can take down a Tigrex with that bow in less than 10 minutes. I use to think bows suck, resorted to sticking with Great Sword but then i tried them again. The chalenge of completeing the game bows only is fun as hell, so long as you know how to use them. You just need some practice.

Author:   vincentrago83
Date:   Oct 09, 12 at 5:14pm (PST)
Thanks! I got the Queen Blaster I today and I just tried it on a low rank Kut Ku and took him down in less than 5 min! (I think thats a good time with a bow...) anyway i almost got the Tiger Arrow I but decided that raw bows are not as good as status bows, like poision on the Queen Blaster. Tiger Arrow I also has -30% affinity with equals about 240 damage when that negative affinity does its thing. Now i just need to make gunner's armor and im all set! Can you get the skill Heroics on an armor set, or only from food?

Author:   Hanners
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 2:37am (PST)
It's only from food, but if you have enough cats with Heroics, you can get it almost every time. So, you should keep checking the cat lady for new ones that may have what you're looking for. :]

Author:   gn_x00
Date:   Oct 10, 12 at 5:00am (PST)
there's adrenaline though. in armor skills

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.