Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Hi Guys. New to the Game. Need Some Advice. - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/38854/t1760975-hi-guys-new-to-game-need-some-advice/

Author:   Knight Saziel
Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 12:16pm (PST)
Subject:   Hi Guys. New to the Game. Need Some Advice.
-------------------------------------------
I'm only on 2 star HR. I'm currently using Bone Katana 'Wolf', but I want to make a SnS and a Dual Sword set, but I have no idea which line to start with. Any help would be appreciated!

Author:   Hanners
Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 2:08pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Hi Guys. New to the Game. Need Some Advice.
Welcome to monster hunter then, Saziel!

You've came to the right place for this question.
I suppose the right tree in each weapon would be what you prefer as far as elemental damage goes. For that, you need to know what you're fighting.
That being said, I'll give you some general recommendations for weapons:
SnS:
Hunter's Dagger > Dagger+ > Assassin's Dagger > Velocidrome Bite > Bite+ > Odyssey / + > Odyssey Blade >>>> Master Odyssey (Decent Water Element SnS) OR Thunderblade Vajra+ (Decent Thunder Element SnS)
Hunter's Dagger > Snake Bite > Bite+ > Hydra Bite > Deadly Poison >>>>> Royal Rose (Good Poison SnS)
Bone Kris > Kris+ > Chief Kris > Red Saber > Corona >>>> Golden Eclipse (Good Fire SnS)
Hunter's Dagger > Dagger+ > Frost Edge > Frost Edge+ > Hi Frost Edge > Ice Fang (Reasonable Ice SnS)
Hunter's Dagger > Snake Bite > Bite+ > Viper Bite > Deathprize (Good Paralyze Low/Hi-Rank SnS, but is a dead-end on upgrade tree.)

The above ones I listed are my favorite SnS to use, so you may like them, and their tree up the ranks is pretty good too.

DS:
Hunter's Dagger > Giaprey Claws > Claws+ > Snow Venom > Snow Venom+ > Glacial Medusa (Good Ice/Poison hybrid DS)
Hunter's Dagger > Twin Dagger > Twin Dagger+ > Dual Tomahawk > Order Rapier > Holy Saber > Guild Knight Sabers >>> Holy Guild Knight (Good Water DS)
Hunter's Dagger > Twin Dagger > Twin Dagger+ > Insector > Insector+ > Insect Slicer > Alated Insect > Insect Lord (Good Raw DS, mostly useful for slots it has. (OOO)
Hunter's Dagger > Snake Bite > Bite+ > Hydra Bite > Deadly Poison > Rouge Flames > Dual Chameleos > Chameleos Dual Blades (Great poison DS, I don't use them a lot but they're fun.)
Bone Kris > Kris+ > Chief Kris > Red Saber > Twin Flames >>>> Punishment Blades (Great Fire DS, I use them regularly.)
Black Sword > Double Dragon > Dual Dragon Ultimus > Ultimus Heaven & Earth > Dual Dragon Ultimus+ (Fantastic Dragon attrib DS, working on getting it myself.)

Hope my info helps, if you need more help with finding good weapon trees, PM me.

Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 3:34pm (PST)
That list is extremely helpful, thank you! This is the first Monster Hunter I've ever played.

Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 3:55pm (PST)
In my opinion, it's one of the best ones. So you picked the right Monster Hunter by my book. Glad my list helped.

Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 6:56pm (PST)
What is a good weapon for Yian Kut-Ku? I had a heck of a time killing it with Giaprey Claws+. As soon as they lost the first level of sharpness, they'd bounce off.

Edit: Fought him again, this time with a Velocidrome Bite. Tried to break its ears, and that wasn't happening, haha. I killed it for a second time, barely.

This message was edited on 2012-09-17T20:06:55-07:00.

Author:   gn_x00
Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 10:56pm (PST)
Good job on slaying the Kut-ku.

Honestly, the early DS is not that good (but some of the end game ones are really strong). their sharpness usually bad and being a DS, they run of sharpness faster than other weapons. make sure to bring 20 wheatstones in every quests. and try to get Sharp Sword or Sharpening skill inc armor skill (usually Ceanataur Armor give them)

and yeah, this is a good game. Should be enough for at least 250 hours game play

Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 11:14pm (PST)
Alrighty. Thanks. I made a Silver Serpentblade and that was more than adequate at breaking the Kut-Ku's ears.

Date:   Sep 17, 12 at 11:30pm (PST)
Great Sword? well yeah. it is much easier to break Kut ku ear with it since DS's range sometimes is a bit too low for head (even though you can easily attack it after tripping it first)

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 1:05am (PST)
quote Knight Saziel
What is a good weapon for Yian Kut-Ku? I had a heck of a time killing it with Giaprey Claws+. As soon as they lost the first level of sharpness, they'd bounce off.
I'd suggest a hammer against YKK. But if you get better at knowing where to hit it all the time, any weapon will do in the long run. Your biggest strength is going for its face whenever possible. Since it's also its weakest point.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 12:38pm (PST)
Thanks. I made a hammer and it made making my Kut-Ku set easy.

Author:   N1ghtmare
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 1:15pm (PST)
With Kut-Ku if you want a quick way of farming him all you need to do is make shock traps (Trap Tool+Genprey Fang) and bring them with you with materials to make more, use 2 out of the 3 to smack his head in, save the third until he goes to his nest area to sleep, then when he is there use the last trap to capture him (Put him in the trap and throw Tranq Bombs at him). You get a greater reward this way and if you break his ears (Of which you most likely will) there is a greater chance of getting ears in the reward.

Date:   Sep 21, 12 at 2:24pm (PST)
Currently gathering materials for Iron Striker+ so I can go after that Yian Garuga. I want that armor set. Love how it looks.

Edit: Scratch that. Going to do some 3* Guild Kut-Ku to get Monster Bone+ to make the Kut-Ku Pick.

This message was edited on 2012-09-21T15:27:45-07:00.

Date:   Sep 22, 12 at 4:48am (PST)
makes me remember the day I tried to make Hard bone Hammer from Kut ku pick... it got an amazing requirement of 60 (IIRC) brute bone... Lol... I make the hammer from scratch instead... and until now my Kut-ku pick is still left in my box untouched

Date:   Sep 22, 12 at 10:13am (PST)
Ended up not even making a new hammer at all, and just went at Garuga with my Eager Cleaver, haha.

Author:   Hunterx
Date:   Sep 22, 12 at 1:12pm (PST)
What hr are you and the star.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.