Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: nargacuga urgent quest HELP!!! - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/38854/t1760302-nargacuga-urgent-quest-help/

Author:   eagle2535
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 10:16pm (PST)
Subject:   nargacuga urgent quest HELP!!!
-------------------------------------------
i'm HR5 and 8* Nekoht and i'm getting pwned by the nargacuga urgent quest
any reccomended weps/armor/tips 4 fighting him?
BTW i use SnS mainly, then hammers second.

Author:   Hanners
Date:   Sep 14, 12 at 11:55pm (PST)
Subject:   re: nargacuga urgent quest HELP!!!
SnS may be a bit difficult since its damage output is a bit subpar. But it's a solid weapon. I'd suggest a set that gives you Evade+1/+2, Quick Eating, Speed Setup, and/or Guard +1/+2. I don't recommend the Guard skills as much, since even with them SnS has pretty bad block capability.

Your key advantage against Narga as you learn to fight it is being faster at doing what you need to do. Bring some traps with you to help keep it still at certain points.

Also, bring sonic bombs. You might think it's crazy, but at the point where it crouches for a second or two before pouncing forward several times, if you sonic bomb it before it starts to actually pounce it will knock it over and you can get some free hits on it. It will instantly become enraged afterward, but it's a small price to pay for such a nice opening.

If you're using speedsetup, bring bombs to use with traps. Your primary strength with SnS is being able to place items without sheathing your weapon, followed shortly by your mobility and speed at attacking and retreating.

That being said, stock up on traps. On a side note, you can only pitfall-trap Narga if it's enraged, if I remember correctly.

As for weapons, if you can get a weapon with a status attribute or with fire attribute you'll be pretty well-off. Narga gets paralyzed pretty well, but there aren't a lot of mid-tier para weapons that are worth much in a fight.

Hope that helps, let me know if you're having trouble with any particular aspect.

Date:   Sep 15, 12 at 10:29pm (PST)
K, so I should (trap-wise) bring shock trap, trap tools and genprey fangs? But what would be better as a weapon? Corona, Deathprize or Blazing Falchion?
Also, i'm getting completly wasted by the move where he jumps, spins 180 degrees and slams his tail on the ground, it does sooo much damage

Date:   Sep 15, 12 at 11:36pm (PST)
Pretty much, yes. But don't rule out pitfall traps if you're feeling up for it.
I would personally say Deathprize or Blazing Falchion.

That is his strongest attack, despite all my buddies and me being G-rank with maxed gear, we've failed a few times from being careless and getting hit by that.
The easiest way to not get hit by it is to follow my simple rule when fighting Narga:

If it has stopped turning and you're still attacking it, you attacked for too long.
Stick to only making brief attacks before it starts to completely turn around, if you manage to flinch it then keep going, but as soon as it starts to turn toward you, roll away, even though there's nothing to dodge.

Also, if you're really in a pinch about that move, trying to block it might help you survive through it if you aren't too low on HP and stamina.

Author:   gn_x00
Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 12:01am (PST)
not really know what to do with SnS. But I will add a few tips on the tail bash move. when it is in rage mode, evade to your right, while it is not, evade to your left.

Author:   simonis
Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 5:35am (PST)
once crounches a he looks right or left .if he looks left dodge to your right if right -to your left allso if he crouches for like 3 -5 seconds it emans he will do at elast 2 -3 jumps after wich he will stay idle for about 3-5 seconds take this time to damage him.allso unless your farming for hes tails/brain stems DO NOT use sonic bombs cuz it will make him jump in to the rage mode and you want him raging as litle as possible in fact once hes in rage mode as i said unless farming for brain stems/tails trow a flash and stay in a save corner .

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 5:51am (PST)
quote simonis
once crounches a he looks right or left .if he looks left dodge to your right if right -to your left allso if he crouches for like 3 -5 seconds it emans he will do at elast 2 -3 jumps after wich he will stay idle for about 3-5 seconds take this time to damage him.allso unless your farming for hes tails/brain stems DO NOT use sonic bombs cuz it will make him jump in to the rage mode and you want him raging as litle as possible in fact once hes in rage mode as i said unless farming for brain stems/tails trow a flash and stay in a save corner .
to be honest, there's hardly any difference between Narga's normal attack and rage attack. the timing to dodge it is really similar that it doesn't matter much (I'm talking about rolling through the attack). with Evade+2 you won't really see any difference in it, especially if you are using SnS where the combo can be cancelled easily, you can cancelled the attack and then roll through the attack (which means the higher speed won't be that much of a problem)
you need to train dodging the attack first though. once you can roll them just fine, you will find Narga easy with most weapon

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 5:41pm (PST)
quote simonis
DO NOT use sonic bombs
... I don't get why anyone is afraid of Narga's rage mode. It's barely even faster than regular mode, the damage differs a bit, but generally it's not much more difficult. You may prefer not using sonic bombs, but this is how I hunt Narga:

I still stand by my recommendation to use them, especially with a SnS user, as you could use the extra time it's spent stunned to do any number of things. Set up a trap, drop bombs, etc.

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 9:48pm (PST)
Thanks everyone
I hit him with one attack while he did tail smash, we were both low on HP and I died @ the same time he did lol
AND I used all of my healing items completely.
BUT I still bet him!

Date:   Sep 16, 12 at 10:14pm (PST)
Nice job! The more you fight him the easier he will get, I guarantee it. I take almost no hits when I fight the G-rank equivalent now. It's all about getting used to its movements and habits.

I can offer more tips about predicting its movements if you ever need any more.

Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 11:40pm (PST)
Thanks, I think that i might have won via fluke so can you tell me if my current armor setup is good?
Full Tigrex (upgraded to 64 defense a piece) gemmed for quick eating and autotracker
Reffering to the comments about rage mode Narga, I agree with Hanners, rage mode looks cool and speeds Narga up in the ranged attacks but if you stay close then you won't have a problem. Also, Narga will rage at some point anyway, so who cares if it rages for 5min longer?

Date:   Sep 19, 12 at 1:09am (PST)
Hmmm... Quick eating and autotracker is pretty good for Narga using SnS. Depending on the SnS you might want something different. But generally it's a good idea to have something that will help you survive. While fighting Narga you should probably have full or almost-full health from your cat chefs. So HP isn't a big concern.

I generally liked using Skull Face helmet with full Monodevil U armor, I believe it gave Sharpness +1, Adrenaline +1, and Reckless Abandon +3 if you had a 2-slot weapon and one protection jewel to negate the demonic protection.

It was literally my favorite set until I got to Akantor armor. Looks pretty damn cool too. If you have trouble fighting him I'd stick with survival skills like quick eating and autotracker for now though.

Date:   Sep 19, 12 at 3:41am (PST)
IMO, Tigrex armors are bad (with the normal armor is the best between all variant and the G-Rank one as the worst)
Tigrex armors are a newbie-friendly armor. It gives Earplug, Auto-tracker, quick eating
- Quick eating is good for new people when they still don't know the opening to take potions and others (which you won't really need when reaching higher rank). and is this only around 1 sec faster?
- Auto-tracker, like quick eating, is good for newbie when they still don't know the normal area where wyvern spawns (they always spawn in the same zone and move almost always the same. remembering them and paintball do the same.). summary, auto-tracker is waste of skill points since there's still a lot more useful armor skill there
- Earplug is quite good, BUT a good earplug armor must be able to reach HGE without triggering demonic protection at the same time
the only thing that boost Tigrex armors value by a lot is that it looks cool...

Summary (IMO), The normal Tigrex armor is good since it is for newbie, but loose its usefulness in the end game (The G version almost give the same skill).

my comment on using Tigrex armor with SnS:
1. quick eating : might be good for SnS, but not really that necessary. there's a lot of better skills to use (S+1 become priority)
2. Auto-tracker : no additional comment
3. earplug : you can block (which can be treated as HGE). no need for earplug

Date:   Sep 19, 12 at 1:30pm (PST)
quote gn_x00
IMO, Tigrex armors are bad (with the normal armor is the best between all variant and the G-Rank one as the worst)
Really? I rather like my g-rank tigrex X armor.
I have it gemmed up for HGE, Tranq Guru, Quick Eating, and Sharpening Skill Inc as long as I have a 1-slot weapon. Gets me by in any fight I'm not really concerned with. I mostly just wear it because I like HGE and it looks cool.

Date:   Sep 19, 12 at 4:03pm (PST)
you can get by in many quests with just random armor that gives no skill as long as it's not one hit kill

well, just my personal opinion. HGE can be useful, but I think there's usually a lot of better HGE armor out there (with more damaging skills. I prefer for more damage boost like S+1, SS, HGE). but as I said before, Tigrex armor looks cool, it is enough to give high value for some people
and Tigrex normal armor looks coolest (for me)

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.