Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Moderator's Corner - page 17

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/38854/t1471183-moderators-corner/17.htm

Author:   Wakaman
Date:   Oct 28, 10 at 7:01pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Moderator's Corner
-------------------------------------------
Can we revive the debate thread again????
It too kept the place lively and how things have been going.Like the whole Akantor HH with Terry and Yukiiko could have gone in there.

Author:   Machienzo
Date:   Oct 28, 10 at 10:52pm (PST)
Sure thing. It went off really well to begin with, but it did slowly fall off the first page and then after that, no one seemed interested. Still would like to give it another go.

Date:   Oct 29, 10 at 12:24am (PST)
Thanx Machienzo
But by we I meant you Machi
I enjoyed the last debate we had bout the colored species.

Author:   King of Ice
Date:   Oct 31, 10 at 9:07am (PST)
How about a caption contest?

Author:   thunderchicken
Date:   Oct 31, 10 at 9:05pm (PST)
The debate idea would be awesome! I am no trying to be rude but what is a caption contest? It sounds cool I just don't know what it is.

Author:   Machienzo
Date:   Nov 08, 10 at 10:34am (PST)
Sorry guys. I've been so swamped with studying for final exams (University is fairly different to normal schooling). I'm going to make the debate thread now. Also, will be getting ready for a caption contest. thunderchicken, a Caption Contest is where one person posts a picture and everyone gives it a 'caption' to fit the photo. The best (not necessarily the funniest) wins.

Date:   Dec 03, 10 at 5:49am (PST)
If I could make a suggestion,the custom set thread should really be stickied.It has helped alot for me personally.

And it can be linked to the Armor Wiki cuz it is great to be able to find it easier.

Author:   TerryDimension
Date:   Dec 05, 10 at 2:03pm (PST)
Ok, there's something that seriously bothers and annoys me.

People like Evil Tyrannosaurs and the measures taken.
He opens a topic which is not related to the game. He's being lectured, reported topic gets close/deleted.
Then he starts giving advice from his experience of MH Freedom in the MHFU forum. He's being told to stop it because it doesn't apply. However he keeps doing so regardless.
He opens a debate topic. People tell him that he has to win the existing debate topic to be allowed to make his own. Firestorm wins the debate. Evil Tyrannosaur posts up his debate in the topic even though Firestorm won.
The most I've seen done against that are locked topics or deleted messages. Nothing more.

Come on, how much bullshit does one have to do to get banned?
Here's a little quote from our rules:

quote rules
When you go out of your way to be annoying, you can expect to be warned or banned. In general, we ask you to refrain from irritating behaviors such as flaming, trolling, and spamming.
quote rules
The rules here are purposefully brief[...] and have the sole purpose of removing those who wish to be disruptive.
The rules say removing those who wish to be disruptive, not to just remove their posts and ignore the rest.

So far I've told people what they were doing wrong and if I felt it was necessary, I reported them.
When I do so, I am occasionally accused of memberating. I want to keep the forum cleaned and keep false information out and I guess we can agree that this is a good thing. However when I report spammers asking the mod to either ban a guy or lock a topic there comes back a message that I shall stop memberating.

So, here goes, do you guys want me to talk with an admin about this, shall I ask an admin to get moderator rights myself, or are you maybe taking it a bit more serious yourselves after this post? Or should I just leave Neoseeker?

Keeping spamming guests around and pointing out what long time members are doing wrong when they're trying to keep the forum clean isn't exactly beneficial to the forum I guess.

I hope you'll either think about this from my point of view or you make a poll asking the members in general about how they find it.

I myself hope that I made clear with this post that it really does annoy me and I will take measures, however they may look like.

Author:   Aurora
Date:   Dec 05, 10 at 2:10pm (PST)
You don't know everything that goes on here. If you did, then you'd know that he's already been banned.

The most I've seen done against that are locked topics or deleted messages. Nothing more.
What do you want, a big announcement whenever Xeros or Machi ban someone? Some things aren't announced, but that doesn't mean they haven't happened.

Date:   Dec 06, 10 at 2:23pm (PST)
http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/49455/t1599608-mail-of-capcom/

Took you 3 moderators and 1 day to close that garbage down. You even replied to it before closing it. And that on a guest who's somewhat known for spamming.

I'm not sure what I shall be more shocked about. Somebody really being as dumb as to think he'd get a game producing company's email adress (even more so in a game forum) to mail his fantasies to them, or mods actually replying to this instead of removing it in the first place.

Date:   Dec 06, 10 at 4:26pm (PST)
Ummm isn't that in the P3rd forum?

PACMAN EDIT:Yes,I thought so.Why are you making such a fuss about it Terry?It happened in another forum,I would be saying something too if it happened here but it happened in another forum.Like Aurora said,it was taken care of,no need to get worked up over something like this.

Date:   Dec 06, 10 at 5:42pm (PST)
So spamming here is one thing, and spamming in a different forum is a different thing?
I really don't get your logics. All he does is spamming, the community states they are annoyed and it takes 3 mods who reply to him first before they even close the topic?
*facedesk*

Author:   Narcissus
Date:   Dec 06, 10 at 6:12pm (PST)
Just ignore the offending threads and read the ones that interest you. You quote rules yet break the 'don't tell a mod how to do his job' rule in your own post.

Nobody wants people getting banned without ample warnings; many young kids use the site and don't listen (as tends to be with kids). They need encouragement and a few slaps on the wrist, save bans for people who genuinely cause offence or persistently disrupt the forum.

In this case, I do see your frustration though.. it's very annoying.

Author:   Aurora
Date:   Dec 06, 10 at 6:25pm (PST)
quote Terry
So spamming here is one thing, and spamming in a different forum is a different thing?
I really don't get your logics. All he does is spamming, the community states they are annoyed and it takes 3 mods who reply to him first before they even close the topic?
*facedesk*
What does replying have to do with anything? I use these forums to help others and have fun, only closing threads and banning people as a last resort. A mod who would've deleted a reasonable thread like that straight off the bat (which is what you seemingly wanted) would be a bad one.

I'm also unsure as to what you mean about 3 mods in relation to that thread... I'm the only moderator for MHP3rd at the moment, which also means that this shouldn't be in here. If you wish to continue this, please do so over PM, or wait until I make a moderator's corner thread in MHP3rd. However, as the guest you're referring to had already been dealt with before you started any of this, I'm not sure what more I can say.

Author:   BossmanG3
Date:   Dec 06, 10 at 11:04pm (PST)
Get ready for a wall of text

quote Terry
Ok, there's something that seriously bothers and annoys me.

People like Evil Tyrannosaurs and the measures taken.
The case of a troll/spammer is a serious thing. Not reserved solely for Tyrannosaur's case, but for anyone willing to attempt to troll these boards in the future.

quote Aurora
I'm the only moderator for MHP3rd at the moment, which also means that this shouldn't be in here.
E.T.'s trolling has been on both Unite's and P3rd boards, therefore it's more than legit to put a discussion here.

Now personally, I agree with giving warnings to members breaking the rule, helpful reminders are always useful, but not taking action after the member still proceeds to troll clearly (water weapons for plessy anyone?) when reminders are clearly given is a bit worrisome.

I agree that banning should be a last resort, but a limit should be set before potential trolls take advantage of the in-actvity of the mods other than helpful reminders. It should also be established that E.T. was not some random joker giving random info for the sake of it where we can all have a good laugh, he was arguing his points clearly.

No, I'm not going to ignore it and just read other topics because I know several people on gamefaqs that have taken the advice of a clear troll before because they had no idea who was legit on the forums or not. Then they post a question a week later on the same thing saying "OMG it didn't work!". Not a good way to promote discussion IMO.

Oh yea and guess what? A friend of mine who was starting out actually took that water weapon on plessy seriously. He thought there was some hidden factor of the element that boosted damage. Thankfully I was there or else it would have been embarrassing for him to sign up to a board in the future and give that advice. True story, so I won't take this lightly.

I agree with Terry's points, not just for E.T., but for all potential trolls that continue spam activity. The ones that post once or twice and never seen again, I don't care as much about those.

Also, I'm wondering why it's bad for a member to politely remind people of the rules of this board. I doubt the mods can be here 24/7, and there's people that can be helped out fast for that problem with members who are online at the moment. Unless you guys are checking every topic, I don't see how it's wrong unless the reminder is a bit on the non-polite side. It saves you guys a lot of work, and a reminder can easily be placed in the same post after helpful info is given.

If i was in a mod's position though, I would be a bit reluctant to take action because we don't know the background of the potential spammer. I'm glad that he's banned after it was clear he was trolling seriously and wouldn't stop.

I'm not really questioning the competence of the mods, I'm just bringing light into an issue that needs serious thought.

Hopefully we won't have have a topic titled "Looking for a MH girlfriend" like on gamefaqs (shudders)

Edit: bustr please be nice to people on this forum, even if their choice of wording can make some people angry, because that was really low of you to say that.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.