Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Mac vs PC: What would you rather? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/62/t1670343-mac-vs-pc-would-you-rather/

Author:   Vanhishikha
Date:   Aug 07, 11 at 5:57pm (PST)
Subject:   Mac vs PC: What would you rather?
-------------------------------------------
So currently, I'm facing a small conundrum, here's what's happening.

I want to either purchase a:
  • Macbook 13" Unibody
or

Now, my current specs are as follows:

So is it really an upgrade? meh, not really, just more aesthetics really! that's all that I'm really after right now.

Although going to University for my second year come September and buying this Macbook 13" unibody would be quite ideal, so yeah.

The only thing is, I've got limited cash at the moment and I'll be buying the 13" off e-bay, I've already gone ahead and purchased it but just not paid for it yet, he told me and I quote:

quote E-bay Seller
I didn't have any problems using it as my only computer, and would use it for video watching, photo editing, a little video editing, general internet and office type use. I have no reason to suspect it may break any time, it was my only computer for daily use for almost 3 years.
So I'm not exactly sure how much this will benefit me? maybe it'll break within a few months of use? maybe it will not, but I'm not entirely sure whether I'm willing to take that chance.

Here's an image:

Thoughts/opinions guys?

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 10:56pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Mac vs PC: What would you rather?
Mac all the way, windows is very clugged and difficult to work with some times (XP , vista and 7 all have mayor issues all start with M, seven if a driver is compatible it will still try to search a generic driver and screw the driver, happens with my atheros driver), vista well way to ubstable, way too many bugs, impossible to really update since you are risking of it triggerin the eternal 99% bug and XP needs to do much stuff manually.

With mac, all you need is to hook up your mac to your modem download all updates, configure you wi-fi net, and you are from the get to go ready to run the park it takes also less time to set up a mac than a PC (Setting windows vista starting at 9'o clock ends at 9 pm o'clock counting all the driver and tool installing!) a mac takes about 4 hours,less if you have a good internet connection to run.

of course there is all the gaming topic, but whatever is being published now for PC is usually avaible on macs, plus macs can run windows, something the opposite cannot do w/o hackingtosh which means emulating to a degree macintosh, so here is my opinion, dont buy a laptop, get a desktop mac and you are done (more expensive but more worth it and it has less wires to go around since i think they usually are packed with wirless keyboard and mouse)

Author:   Ohmycaptain
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 11:01pm (PST)
What should you do? Really? I mean, man... Spend 425 pounds on a 3 year old used laptop?

I'd get a new laptop if I were you, but not a mac. Sorry, but you could easily get a much better laptop. There is no problem with Windows 7. Duncan is just a mac fanboy. When you get a laptop with Windows all you have to do is dl updates, configure wifi, and that's it.

Seriously, just get a laptop with Windows 7. You'll get your money's worth. 3 year old laptop? For that much? Dude...

Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 11:20pm (PST)
quote Ohmycaptain
What should you do? Really? I mean, man... Spend 425 pounds on a 3 year old used laptop?

I'd get a new laptop if I were you, but not a mac. Sorry, but you could easily get a much better laptop. There is no problem with Windows 7. Duncan is just a mac fanboy. When you get a laptop with Windows all you have to do is dl updates, configure wifi, and that's it.

Seriously, just get a laptop with Windows 7. You'll get your money's worth. 3 year old laptop? For that much? Dude...
err there is a problem with seven, it seeks drivers that are compatible and downloads them and replaces the old ones, i had that problem twice, when i DL the atheros driver that win 7 is asking me to downlaod an atheros driver it makes my wi-fi stop working, so i had to figure out how to make it work again.

Author:   Gligar
Date:   Aug 09, 11 at 11:54pm (PST)
quote Duncan Idaho
plus macs can run windows, something the opposite cannot do w/o hackingtosh which means emulating to a degree macintosh,
thats worth it although i heard you cant do that if u have a amd processor. is that right?

Date:   Aug 10, 11 at 12:01am (PST)
How can, in anybody's mind, $700 be worth a THREE YEAR OLD laptop?

For $700 (425 pounds), you could get a brand new i5 laptop with 8GB of RAM, and an AMD APU quad core chipset which would play games well. Not to mention likely 640GB HDD, double what that mac has (and it's an upgraded HDD because the original was most likely 120GB).

Seriously. It makes no sense. Macs aren't that great, OS X is a good operating system but how can you rationalize that amount of money for a three year old laptop when you're in college and on a strict budget, where money is a concern?

Hell, you could take up Microsoft on that buy a laptop for college, get a free xbox 360 deal.

If he had loads of cash to blow on a laptop and all he cared about was it being as trendy and cool as possible, I'd say get a mac.

Author:   Iceguy2003
Date:   Nov 18, 11 at 1:06pm (PST)
You get more with Windows. Software, hardware, etc. More is available to your disposal with Windows. And at 1/3 of the price, on top of that. If you are a fairly serious gamer, Mac is out of the question.

Main thing that sticks out is why do you think you need 8GB RAM?

Author:   Chaosfire
Date:   Nov 18, 11 at 10:12pm (PST)
Don't go for the mac. Just don't.
1. It's 3 years old
2. It's specs. You could probably get a kickass thinkpad for less.
3. The macbook isn't seller refurbished, just resold. There might or will be issues with the hard drive, or battery, or something else.
4. Overpriced.
5. Not worth it.
6. Duncan Idaho doesn't have basic googling skills to find drivers himself, so don't listen to him. Windows 7 is fine.
quote Gligar
quote Duncan Idaho
plus macs can run windows, something the opposite cannot do w/o hackingtosh which means emulating to a degree macintosh,
thats worth it although i heard you cant do that if u have a amd processor. is that right?
I don't see how it would effect anything. Hardware is hardware.
And If you're desperate to see a sleek GUI, just get hackintosh.

Date:   Nov 18, 11 at 11:27pm (PST)
Chaosfire dont insult me, i am too lazy to seek the drivers, plus i use a venezuelan laptop that uses a combo of the most obscure and cheap materials avaible, having the vista drivers work ON 7, but 7 still via update will seek new drivers download them and screw all the way what works, vista is what people say about POP2 (not the sand triology, but the original POP2) a bug with tiny bits of game, only switch game for OS, XP wont even try to connect to my apple router and asks me to isnert a ton of info manually so yeah i am gonna install drivers when i cant even connect to the net .

I like windows as a gaming system, but for a system that i would use to work i'd go with macintosh, much simpler interface, much better interface the dock--->desktop, plus with mac i have drag and drop ON app's, mac also works with app's not .exe files which are tedious at best and accesing the hard drive is a bit tedious in windows, on mac i have it on my desktop, i double click on it and i see a small list of what i have, windows has a *bleep*load of folders that get me afraid of messing anything, i have iuused 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 of mac software and i must say all it has ever done was make better things, 10.3 had a ncie interface, 10.4 bumped it up and 10.5 added even more usefull features, plus 10.6 has time machine which i can recover files i migth have lost, so it's a nice feature, the dock is much easier to navigate and place icons onto it, the 7 desktop is decent but it's tool bar wont even suffice for what i demand an interactive toolbar known a dock that allows me to move in or out app's with ease, 7 toolbar is not so hot about it since moving icons instead of shrinking the bar will simply give an up or down arrow which probably means it has to load up the next set of icons, the dock shrinks and expands at the same time, also macs are leaving out HDD for more advanced technology, so it means that a fast machine will be even faster, so in all regards i dont dislike 7 but it's not a heavenly gift, nor it is mac, both have thier pro's and cons, mac tend to suffer OS failures with rather ease, cantr handle some programs like bittorrent clients with ease.

Plus he or she wont be using it for gaming, it's for work, in that regard mac excels as a nice job computer.

Author:   Chaosfire
Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 12:12am (PST)
I wasn't insulting you, I was stating the facts.
Depending on a users knowledge in an OS, and their work makes the entire difference.
Since the OP stated he's a college student, so I suppose he will be using features such as basic browsing, for research, and other things depending on what he studies.
(Windows Fanboy mode Go!)
Microsoft Office 2010 offers great tools to simplify what you need to do.
And your argument is invalid Duncan. Just slap Hackintosh on a thinkpad. Better performance, and you can have your precious simplified UI.

Author:   Iceguy2003
Date:   Nov 19, 11 at 3:53pm (PST)
The UI is not scary or anything in Windows, lol. Browsing the hard drive is tedious? Really? Nah... Doesn't get much simpler than opening the hard drive and seeing everything right there. Using it for work seems more like Windows would be needed. Unless everyone in the office is using Macintosh, there will be compatibility issues.

I, too, think Microsoft Office has all that one needs in that aspect. I like it. There's also always OpenOffice that's free and close to it. But Microsoft Office is hard to beat.

Author:   Castlewars
Date:   Dec 08, 11 at 7:40pm (PST)
Mac. Apple is the industry thought leader, Macs are easier to use and they actually cost less than PCs. No, that is true. Macs may cost a bit more, but PCs have hidden costs like virus protection and disk cleaning. Macs don't need virus protection and their hard disks last longer, so disk cleaning costs are lower as well.

Date:   Dec 08, 11 at 8:33pm (PST)
Revived an old thread? Well, okay, but I'd have to make one thing clear to the misinformed Castlewars;

How can a macbook pro for $1,700 cost less than a windows machine from, let's say HP, Asus, or Acer - that costs $700 - cost more?

Let's say you actually buy all the software you'll need;

Microsoft Office H&S = $100

Antivirus = $70

That's pretty much it. So, $170 + $700 = $870. $870 is more than $1,700? I didn't know math worked that way.

Also, who would pay money to do disk defrags and registry cleanings to keep their PC tuned up and optimized? (besides older people or people who know nothing about computers, or have the money and don't want to go through doing it themselves).

By the way - Macs need tune ups and disk cleanings as well to keep optimized, it's not like a Mac has special hard drives that us Windows users don't have access to. My girlfriend's old macbook (the exact one OP was buying) was slow as hell, and unbearable, then she bought a $500 Acer and it was leaps and bounds ahead of her macbook in terms of speed and responsiveness. Macs are not anything spectacular, but yes they don't have to worry about viruses as much - not because they're exempt from getting them, but because someone who takes the time and effort to create the viruses/spyware/malware would be stupid to attack the Mac userbase, because - compared to Windows users, that userbase is tiny and insignificant.

Just as proof that Macs aren't totally secure and invincible to anything bad, Apple just finally fixed a huge flaw in their security after 3 years of knowing it existed, and being warned multiple times to fix it. Real nice huh?

Author:   Giga Bowser
Date:   Dec 08, 11 at 10:20pm (PST)
quote castlewars
Mac. Apple is the industry thought leader, Macs are easier to use and they actually cost less than PCs. No, that is true. Macs may cost a bit more, but PCs have hidden costs like virus protection and disk cleaning. Macs don't need virus protection and their hard disks last longer, so disk cleaning costs are lower as well.
This might be the most ignorant statement I have ever seen. All computers need virus protection. Macs aren't just invincible to all the dangers of the internet. And what's this about long lasting hard drives? My PC's hard drive lasted something like 5 or 6 years and it didn't even break, I simply got a new computer.

Obviously the only people who have to spend that much money on PCs are idiots who can't take care of them properly.

Author:   GLaDOS
Date:   Dec 09, 11 at 2:32am (PST)
Mac actually comes with a built-in antivirus/antimalware. Although the PC costing more is wrong, most of the time. However, as far as Mac vs PC itself goes, I use PCs because they run Windows/Mac OS/Linux. As far as Mac vs Windows goes, I use both. :>

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.