Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: P_L's Reviews - Latest: Diablo II - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/37944/t1756903-p_ls-reviews-latest-diablo-ii/

Author:   Praetorian_Lord
Date:   Aug 28, 12 at 7:35pm (PST)
Subject:   P_L's Reviews - Latest: Diablo II
-------------------------------------------
Current: Diablo II (PC) - 8.3/10

Previous

Super Mario World (SNES) - 10/10

Journey (PS3) - 9/10

Jeanne D'Arc (PSP) - 8.5/10

Ōkami (Wii) - 8.5/10

The Binding of Isaac (PC) - 8.5/10

Dear Esther (PC) - 8/10

Amnesia: The Dark Descent (PC) - 8/10

L.A. Noire (PS3) - 8/10

The Legend of Zelda (NES) - 8/10

Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX) - 8/10

LIMBO (PC) - 8/10

Assassin's Creed (PS3) - 7.5/10

Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare (PS3) - 7.5/10

Silent Hill (PSP) - 7.5/10

Braid (PC) - 7/10

F.E.A.R. (PS3) - 7/10

Alone in the Dark (PC) - 6.5/10

Dead Space (PS3) - 6.5/10

Game Dev Tycoon (PC) - 6.5/10

Lone Survivor (PC) - 6.5/10

Metal Gear Solid (PSP) - 6.5/10

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3) - 6/10

Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3) - 5/10

The 7th Guest (PC) - 5/10

Home (PC) - 4/10

Friends! Romans! Miscellaneous! Lend me your eyes! And, well, fingers.

Having now submitted four reviews, I thought the time might be right to create a thread where you can critically tear them a new one. Any and all feedback will be read, appreciated, and taken on board, even if it takes a few tearful hours or sleepless nights to accept them.

I'm also open to suggestions for future reviews, based on what I've finished playing recently (this will be edited):
Cheers, and thanks for stopping by!

Author:   EricF
Date:   Aug 30, 12 at 2:45pm (PST)
Subject:   re: P_L's Reviews - Latest: Diablo II
I really like your style of writing Praetorian_Lord. Your Deus Ex review was really good (despite putting me off buying it a bit!) and your current review was just as strong. Something quite original - on here at least - about the way you approach your reviews so I look forward to reading some more.

Date:   Aug 30, 12 at 6:41pm (PST)
quote EricF
I really like your style of writing Praetorian_Lord. Your Deus Ex review was really good (despite putting me off buying it a bit!) and your current review was just as strong. Something quite original - on here at least - about the way you approach your reviews so I look forward to reading some more.
Thank you! I hope I didn't put you off it too much though, it just depends what you're after. Calling it an RPG is one step away from completely lying, and I'm not sure I ever got over that, but it'll keep you entertained.

Besides, 6.5/10 isn't a horrible score. Maybe I give the wrong impression with my scoring system?

Author:   Watain
Date:   Sep 18, 12 at 11:29pm (PST)
nice to see some new blood around these parts! been enjoying reading your reviews, especially your Deus Ex: Human Revolution review. I remember pretty much playing that game as a sneaking game and not as an RPG. would've been better if they called it Splinter Cell instead of Deus Ex if you ask me.

can't wait to read more tbh

Date:   Oct 07, 12 at 4:58pm (PST)
You ripped on one of my all-time favourite Xbox 360 games on your Dead Space review.

Your points are very valid though and it was an excellent read. Good job.

Date:   Oct 07, 12 at 5:22pm (PST)
Holy shit you're quick EricF, but thanks for the read! And cheers for the encouragement Watain, sorry for the long wait!

Goes without saying now, but my Dead Space review is up. Not what you'd call an enjoyable game, but generally for the right reasons.

Date:   Oct 20, 12 at 11:16pm (PST)
My latest review - F.E.A.R. - is in the queue. I've gone with a different approach to this review, so if anyone could let me know what they think, I'd really appreciate it!

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 3:57pm (PST)
Excellent job Praetorian_Lord, spot on with that review. It's been a while since I've played F.E.A.R. but I do agree with a lot of your points. Though I must say when I played it, the sections were quite mundane. It seemed that it always shifted from 'shooting bad guys' to scary moments. So once you'd killed a few baddies, your next treat was Alma or something truly terrifying. While it wasn't at all predictable in a scary sense, it did hinder the quality of the game as a whole for me.

Gotta agree with you on Alma though, she's truly terrifying. There really is something about slim, dark-haired female characters in games and movies that are truly terrifying. Even The Grudge for example; just terrifying. But yeah, Alma's probably the scariest character on the 360 for me, despite not having much competition.

Love your writing style in this one too. Very personal and concise. Dealt with every point and did so in a very personal way that any reader can relate to. Gives a greater grasp of whether said reader will enjoy the game or not, very well done.

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 5:10pm (PST)
Thanks for the feedback EricF! My 360's disc drive is cactus atm, otherwise I wouldn't be spending as much time on my PS3.

As I said in my review, I think the reason we find Alma scary is because she really shouldn't be. We're conditioned from the minute we're born to find certain things horrifying, in particular ugly things like zombies and monsters, and others are supposed to be safe. Every nursery rhyme has a beautiful hero/heroine and a hideous creature as the chief villain. But when those expectations are turned on their head, it's all the more disturbing because if a little girl can be evil, then anything can. I think fear of clowns stems from the same thing, and your mate Stephen King's given this all a thorough examination in IT.

I do agree that the sequence order got a bit predictable, but at the same time I think it made me look forward to the scary moments all the more. They almost became a motivation for me to get through the game where the story fell over quite badly. I also appreciated it from a marketing perspective because you can hate horror games and still find enjoyment in it, or vice versa for shooters. I have to ask, did most of the things I mention in my review still ring true for the 360 version (no subtitles, terrible graphics menu, etc.)? I'm going to be ever so pissed if it's just the PS3 that got shafted.

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 5:16pm (PST)
quote Praetorian_Lord
I have to ask, did most of the things I mention in my review still ring true for the 360 version (no subtitles, terrible graphics menu, etc.)? I'm going to be ever so pissed if it's just the PS3 that got shafted.
I honestly can't remember if there were subtitles in the first, but there definitely were in the second game on the 360. The graphics weren't that bad though. I had F.E.A.R Files as well (not sure if you've played that), but the graphics were abysmal in that (and yet it's funny, the bad graphics made some of the demons terrifying haha) but the first game didn't seem so bad. Graphic-wise, the second is a big improvement. The blurred segments work so well. Have you played the second one by the way? Some really really scary parts in that game. If you haven't played it and you enjoyed the first, I don't see why you wouldn't like two. But I must admit, the plot is hideously bad still in that. Not played number 3. However, if you HAVE played number 2, watch this and please tell me that was the scariest moment for you too!

F.E.A.R doesn't really have much to compete with on either of the PS3 or 360 really. I used to believe Dead Space was scary, but it really isn't. It's very creepy at times and extremely jumpy but there isn't a lot that terrifies you much like Alma might. If you haven't played Condemned 1 or 2 before I'd strongly recommend. Scariest games I know on the 360.

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 5:35pm (PST)
Aye, I may have been a bit harsh on the graphics. They're not terrible, they're just underwhelming, and it's definitely a shortfall. With improvement they could have made it even scarier, with better light/dark contrast, and I think Alma could have looked a whole lot scarier towards the end too (i.e., when she's not just a little girl in a red dress any more) with better visuals. The original on the PC predated the PS3 itself so there's an excuse to an extent, but considering they had 18 months to work on it, it's just a lazy port. Fair enough that you want to expand your market, put the game on as many different consoles as you can, but we still have every right to criticise you for it. Resistance's graphics crapped all over it, and that was a launch title.

I've not played F.E.A.R. files or the sequels yet, no. Will eventually get around to the latter but don't have any real interest in files, especially now that you've said the graphics are even worse. I bought Dead Space when I was in the UK for a fiver and that was literally the first horror game I've played on any platform, and it's turned out to be my gateway. I'm a bloody coward but I can't tear myself away from the screen when there's something scary on it. I've heard mixed reports on F.E.A.R. 2 and 3, have they changed the formula one way or the other towards being more shooter-y or more horror-y or is it still roughly the same blend? A poor plot doesn't bother me too much since (a) the first game has me well-prepared for that eventuality and (b) the psychological take on horror makes it seem more like you're in a bad dream, and bad dreams very rarely make sense aside from scaring the shit out of you.

EricF

Date:   Oct 21, 12 at 5:47pm (PST)
As a whole, I'd say F.E.A.R is scarier than number 2, but the combat is better in 2. The graphics are a huge improvement, you'll notice that straight away. Even the scary moments do the game more justice with the graphics in this one. You're in a hospital for a good bit of the game (very fitting setting for a horror, don't you agree?) and it's there where the game really terrifies you. If you thought Alma was scary, wait until you get more glimpses of her naked older self. Jesus she is absolutely terrifying! Every time I saw her I got goosebumps straight up. I'd say go for it if you're into number 1, I didn't think there was anything that made number 2 worse. It isn't as scary, no, but it's still a pretty good game. Combat's a lot better - I'm yet to play 3 though.

Just so you know, I skipped the first Condemned game - got number 2 first (I thought it was number 1) and it was still brilliant. I'm sure there was plot I didn't understand but it was still haunting. Combat is a bit clunky on it, and fighting enemies with your fists takes ages to get used to, but I'd say it's worth getting cheap to have a nice frightening evening or two.

Praetorian_Lord

Date:   Nov 03, 12 at 8:33pm (PST)
Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare is in the queue. Let me know what you think!

Date:   Nov 26, 12 at 7:16pm (PST)
Home

Metal Gear Solid

Feedback appreciated as always.

Date:   Nov 27, 12 at 1:14pm (PST)
6.5/10 for one of the best classics ever. D:

I'll have a read of it later when I'm finished work, but don't expect me to be kind with that rating.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.