Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Monterray James's drunken wisdom - November 2012 update - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/37944/t1377611-monterray-jamess-drunken-wisdom-november-2012-update/

Author:   Monterey Jack
Date:   Jun 13, 09 at 8:08am (PST)
Subject:   Monterray James's drunken wisdom - November 2012 update
-------------------------------------------
FEATURED REVIEW:

Hey guys!

What's happening here, is that I show reviews that I've written over time. I don't bullshit around. If I didn't like something, I'll point it out. I also try not to make the review run too long, though I sometimes get carried away (Guitar Hero: Metallica). I'm gunning for at least one or two reviews a week, though there are times when I can't make that deadline, so be aware. So yeah, just read, enjoy and give your thoughts on my thoughts.

Author:   Lost in Azure
Date:   Jun 13, 09 at 7:16pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Monterray James's drunken wisdom - November 2012 update
I skimmed through your reviews and I'm not familiar, at all, with the games you reviewed, but I learned a lot just from skimming. Your reviews are very descriptive and I enjoy reading them. Don't stop the reviewing! [:

Author:   Insanity Prevails
Date:   Jun 28, 09 at 11:55am (PST)
I like the way your GH: Metallica review pretty much flowed smoothly from start to finish. The addition of the sub-titles throughout was a nice touch.

Date:   Jul 26, 09 at 10:45am (PST)
Thanks mates.

Sonic Unleashed is now up. gogo

Date:   Jul 27, 09 at 8:39pm (PST)
You know, I really like how you use subtitles. They're quite creative in outlining different sections. Everything else looks great too, from the descriptions and layout to the general flow from one element into the next and final summary.

Date:   Aug 30, 09 at 1:05pm (PST)
Thanks dude.

Got two I just wrote: Mirror's Edge, which I thought was good, but could've been better and less annoying at times; and Alex Kidd In Miracle World, which is a relic of my childhood and one of my favorite Master System titles. Yes, I will do retro reviews among current gen reviews, so I may mix between PS3 and SMS.

Oh, and this updates monthly. Could've waited a couple more days, but whatever.

Date:   Sep 05, 09 at 9:29pm (PST)
No matter how many times I hear it, I always think the boss fight system in Alex Kidd sounds really stupid. =\ I don't think equipping items from a pause menu constitutes ripping off Zelda though.

Anyway, great reviews once again. Plenty of information with your opinions presented clearly and you kept it interesting throughout.

Date:   Sep 06, 09 at 10:59am (PST)
quote Insanity Prevails
I don't think equipping items from a pause menu constitutes ripping off Zelda though.
So if I was to say Sega were influenced by Nintendo, it'd sound better?

quote Insanity Prevails
No matter how many times I hear it, I always think the boss fight system in Alex Kidd sounds really stupid.
It's something you have to experience for yourself to get a true opinion on it.

You comtemplating playing the game?

quote Insanity Prevails
Anyway, great reviews once again. Plenty of information with your opinions presented clearly and you kept it interesting throughout
Thanks mate.

Date:   Sep 06, 09 at 3:49pm (PST)
quote Gamecube Guru
quote Insanity Prevails
I don't think equipping items from a pause menu constitutes ripping off Zelda though.
So if I was to say Sega were influenced by Nintendo, it'd sound better?
Yeah, that's fine. It just seems somewhat nitpicky the way it is now, especially since we're talking about such a generic feature. Shopping and equipping items is a feature of almost every RPG to date. I'm certainly not going to call them out on copying Zelda.
quote Gamecube Guru
You comtemplating playing the game?
I've already got a mountain of games on my "to play" list. Anything from the 8 bit days would have to be somewhat special to get in there at the moment, and this doesn't sound awesome enough for that.

Date:   Oct 17, 09 at 9:00am (PST)
Time to actually update this thing. First and foremost is Line of Fire, which seems like a typical shoot em up with the difficulty nerfed down heaps, until the last couple of levels, which are brutal. Black Belt is next, and it proves itself to be a competent action game with some elements for other developers to expand on later on (so pretty much a proto beat em up and proto Street Fighter), though overly repetitive and cheap at times. Lastly, Miracle Warriors: Seal of the Dark Lord, an RPG that could've gone places, had the overworld layout been more pleasing to the eye; had it been that it wasn't as easy to get lost as it is, and had it allowed more than ONE person perform an action!! (all that, and had it been a genre that everyone was into during the 8-bit days).

Don't think I'm hating on the Master System; there's just some mediocrity from my childhood I wanted to get out of the way.

Author:   Lukas
Date:   Oct 19, 09 at 7:01am (PST)
Forgot you updated or I'd comment on MSN.

Anyway, good stuff. I kind of had the same thoughts about Miracle Warriors, though not as harsh with the score, and I'm not too far in it anyway, so maybe it gets worse as you go... Oh well.

By the way, when are you going to take a bite of the shit sandwich and play/review F16 Fighting Falcon?

Date:   Oct 22, 09 at 7:54pm (PST)
Considering what you wrote for Miracle Warriors I would have thought it deserved a much lower score. Game sounds incrediably irritating.

But yeah, great work on your reviews again. SOme images might be nice if you can find the time to track some down.

quote Kiker
By the way, when are you going to take a bite of the shit sandwich and play/review F16 Fighting Falcon?
Aha, that would be something to see.

Date:   Oct 23, 09 at 6:35am (PST)
quote Kiker
Forgot you updated or I'd comment on MSN.
Damn white Aussies.

quote Kiker
I kind of had the same thoughts about Miracle Warriors, though not as harsh with the score, and I'm not too far in it anyway, so maybe it gets worse as you go... Oh well.
It gets worse when you start getting allies and the dungeons and shit get bigger.

quote Insanity Prevails
Considering what you wrote for Miracle Warriors I would have thought it deserved a much lower score. Game sounds incrediably irritating.
At the time, I thought 6.5 sounded appropriate. I'll revise it immediately.

quote Insanity Prevails
SOme images might be nice if you can find the time to track some down.
Definitely going in future reviews.

quote Kiker
Eventually. Got a huge stack on my list, though if it's as shit as you and Insanity put it, I'll put it on top.

Date:   Nov 06, 09 at 7:33am (PST)
Decided to keep going through my Master System collection piece by piece. First up is F-16 Fighting Falcon, which sucked donkey pubes and makes you thankful for games like After Burner. I also went through Golvellius: Valley Of Doom, Sega's answer to The Legend Of Zelda, and a pretty good game, well worth any Master System owner's time.

Then I went back to my PS3 and decided to go through one of the best RPGs for it, Eternal Sonata. One of the best soundtracks and an excellent battle system really says a lot about an RPG.

Date:   Nov 30, 09 at 2:35pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Gamecube Guru's reviews - late-October Update
I was going to put out a few more reviews, but never got around to it. Oh well, they'll just be featured in the December update...

Either way, I got around to publishing at least a few reviews. First off is The King Of Fighters XII... All I can say is that there better be some downloadable content on its way, because this is pretty unfinished in terms of quantity, and in terms of consistent quality when stacked up against other titles in the series. An arcade mode with 5 lots of 3... and online multiplayer... whoopee.

Then I decided to go retro again with The Ninja and Wonder Boy. Both games kicked ass then, and they still do to this day (Wonder Boy a bit more than The Ninja).

Then I decided to give the PS2 some love... well, actually, this next one, Soul Calibur 3, was more because I read Vergil's review, and thought he exaggerated a bit too much for my liking. Instead of bitching to him, I decided to just play it again and review it. Yeah, it is unfair more often than not, but has its moments of glory.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.