Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: My Custom built PC - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/36554/t1754056-my-custom-built-pc/

Author:   Reilly 31
Date:   Aug 17, 12 at 10:16am (PST)
Subject:   My Custom built PC
-------------------------------------------
Ok so i've wanted a top end PC for a while and last week decided to treat myself, price wasn't too much of a issue so most the parts are of the higher end of the market. I will now list all the specifications all got in it.

Case COOLERMASTER ELITE310 BLUE CASE

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770K (3.5GHz) 8MB Cache

Motherboard ASUS® MAXIMUS V GENE: M-ATX, INTEL Z77 ROG MOTHERBOARD

Memory (RAM) 16GB KINGSTON HYPERX GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 2133MHz X.M.P(4 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

2 nd Graphics Card NONE

3 rd Graphics Card NONE

Memory - 1 st Hard Disk 120GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD,SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

2 nd Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE

RAID NONE

SSD CACHE DRIVE NONE

1 st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

2 nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NONE

Memory Card Reader INTERNAL52IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT

Power Supply 500W FSP AURUM XILENSER - 100% Fanless SILENT 80+ GOLD PSU (£109)

Processor Cooling COOLIT ECO II A.L.C ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER (£59)

Fan Controller NONE

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Change to: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D PCI-E Soundcard (£45) *SPECIAL*

Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs

USB Options 6x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Modem NONE, I WILL BEUSING BROADBAND

Floppy Disk Drive NONE

Firewire NONE

TV Card NONE

Operating System Genuine Windows 7Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence

Office Software FREEMicrosoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY V10 - 1 Year, 1 User + 5GB Online Backup (£9)

Monitor IIYAMA E2473HDS 24" LED WIDESCREEN, 2 HDMI/DVI-D 1920x1080 (£159)

2 nd Monitor NONE

DVI-D & HDMI Monitor Cables 1x 2 METREGOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE (£8)

Eyefinity / GeForce 3D Vision NONE

Keyboard & Mouse LOGITECH® G510 GAMING KEYBOARD WITH GAMEPANEL™ LCD (£75)

Mouse LOGITECH® G500 LASER GAMING MOUSE (£48)

Speakers NONE

Webcam NONE

Headsets (VOIP) LOGITECH® USB HEADSET H530 - CLEAR, DIGITALAUDIO IN STEREO (£34)

Surge Protection 6Socket Compact 2M UFO Surge Protector (£9)

As you can see i forgot to add a wireless card to pick up the wifi signal in my house, so now i have a ethernet cable running up my stairs and into my office, not what i wanted. Now for the good bit's, the pictures.

The Case

Now the inside.

So ye thats my new machine, cost me just over £2000 but hey it should last. Any questions let me know

Author:   biomed
Date:   Aug 17, 12 at 3:30pm (PST)
Subject:   re: My Custom built PC
Nice system and if price wasn't an issue then I'll say no more.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Aug 18, 12 at 5:29am (PST)
Nice cable management especially with that case.

What temps are you getting on it? One fan up front and the rear pulling in air for the CPU?

Date:   Aug 18, 12 at 10:26am (PST)
Not to sure deeplove how would i find that out mate? Didn't build it myself, i choose all the equipment and a company built it for me.

Date:   Sep 08, 12 at 3:57am (PST)
Ok so I'm thinking about getting a second monitor today, I think my graphics card should be able to handle it. What I've read so far is that I need a second port on my graphics card for the second monitor. My graphics card is Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 680 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready. Where would I find the second port, my current screen is hooked up by a white cable that looks like a VGA cable but slightly bigger.

Author:   deeplove
Date:   Sep 10, 12 at 10:51am (PST)
if you're going to be using 2 monitors then just go with the 2 DVI. that card is more than capable of handling them.

Date:   Nov 04, 12 at 10:54am (PST)
If I buy this will it go in to my PC no problem? I want it just for Steam and all my games on there.
Also this one has retail next to it, the other has OEM next to it. What does this mean?

Author:   Randome
Date:   Nov 05, 12 at 12:34pm (PST)
It will definitely go into your PC and "just work". At the most you may have to go into some windows settings and assign it a drive letter (like the C: and D:) to make it show up.

The "OEM" might mean that they'll only sell you that one, if you buy an entire PC from them and want them to put it in there, but you might want a second opinion.

Author:   duneworld
Date:   Nov 09, 12 at 11:19am (PST)
Subject:   My Custom built PC
Usually the difference between OEM and Retail drives is that with the OEM drive you receive the drive and nothing else, except the packaging it comes in. Retail drives usually have extras, such as 3.5" adapter brackets (allows the drive to be installed into a 3.5" drive bay), SATA cables, a disc with drivers/utilities on it, etc.

I could not find any specifics about what is included with Intel's Retail SSDs.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Feb 04, 13 at 8:14am (PST)
For that price, I would have gone with a larger PSU to be safe and allow some overhead for overclocking in the future. My build with a 3770k and a 7950 has a 750W one so if I need to I can throw in a second 7950 for crossfire.

Since you're watercooling your processor, you should be able to push it further than mine. I have mine clocked at 4.4GHz (~25% overclock) on a CM Hyper 212 Evo.

edit » and I just realized how old this thread was...

Date:   Feb 08, 13 at 4:50am (PST)
Nagare I still check on this thread and again to check my spec's when I forget them. When building this I just made sure all the parts went together fine really. What PSU would you recommend if I was to replace the one in there? Had real bad problems with my audio tho. When playing out any audio it sounds so unclear and just broken. Uninstalled my sound card and still have the same problem, have to use headphones at all times now.

Author:   Nagare
Date:   Feb 08, 13 at 7:17am (PST)
I'm not really sure what could be causing the sound issue other than the plug not being fully into the sound card. If it still works just fine with your headphones, that's the only thing I can think of.

In regards to the power supply, the 680 you've got maxes at about 400W. The i7-3770k pulls up to the 160W range without being overclocked. When you bring in overclocking it can jump another 100W. So when you're playing heavy games you're system could be demanding at most 560W while you're limited to 500. This is towards the maximum range assuming you push them to draw that much power. Continuously running your PC like that quickly wears the PSU down though which just makes it less and less efficient until it burns out which can ruin other components. I'd say go to at least a 600W one.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.