Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Benedict's Rig - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/36554/t1607152-benedicts-rig/

Author:   Benedict
Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 2:17pm (PST)
Subject:   Benedict's Rig
-------------------------------------------
i7-950 @ 3.63ghz, GTX 460

So yeah, that is it. As in, that is the PC. And it is a lot bigger than I expected.

Here are the full specs:

i7-950 @ 3.3ghz
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
Antec 1200 Case
850W Modular PSU
GTX 460 (1GB SC)
6GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz (Not at that atm (lower), need to edit stuff in the bios)
2TB (2x1tb) 7200.12 Seagate Hard Drives
Blu ray ROM/DVD RW in one
Ultra-120 eXtreme Heatsink with 1000rpm 120mm fan

Other stuff
One thing which I didn't expect is that the case fans are all Molex connectors. Nothing to go to the motherboard. It is very quiet though on low settings (you can ajust it), and sounds like a jet engine on high.

Benchmarks
Haven't done very many... but I've done 3dmark06 a couple of times. Heres the result of the one I did now (I've got a little higher):

Temperatures and stuff
On high fan speeds, with F@H running and a couple more programs, here are the temps:

With F@H off, it drops right down. Believe me. Running 3d mark or a game, the temps for the cores are 30-50 and GPU is about 50-60.

CPU-Z

Oh yeah, any voltages/whatnot where set by the program I OCed to 3.3 with... I haven't done it in the bios yet. I was just raising it to get over 20k for 3dmark with the mobo's software... anything which looks high?

Other Pictures

(Tempted to say Benedict's build, but that makes me sound like... dunno.)

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 2:18pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Benedict's Rig
More pictures/something here soon...

Author:   hiigaran
Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 2:48pm (PST)
wow, maybe with a little more cable management, it would look even better, but regardless...

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 6:47pm (PST)
Okay, need some help here...

Overclocking. To get that 3.3 I used ET6 which was a cheat. Now I've cleared settings, I used the bios to get to what... 3.5? Then oops. I changed a voltage and my PC kept turning on and off... So yeah, I cleared the CMOS and everything works now, except I've lost my settings. However I managed to get back up to something which I've forgotten (don't want to look now, running IntelBurnTest)

IntelBurnTest just completed 2 runs as I'm typing. Speed: 3465mhz. 3.46ghz

Unsure how to overclock anymore though. I think I've hit a limit somewhere, before the voltage break I was at 166 x 21/22 (forgot) and going to 167 BSODed almost instantly on intelburntest... So yeah, changed a voltage to try and stop that, and stopped working.

Any ideas what I need to change? I'll post the stuff in the bios if you need it... Core voltage in cpu-z is 1.216v, multioplyer x 21, bus speed 165, thats it.

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 7:06pm (PST)

Going to do cblmgment now.

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 7:07pm (PST)
with almost any overclock, the RAM will be the one that goes unstable first - go into the bios and loosen the timings for the RAM. increase them to their highest values, then keep raising the FSB. perhaps you might be able to lower the CPU multi and then keep going even further if the CPU becomes unstable next

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 8:15pm (PST)
quote hiigaran
with almost any overclock, the RAM will be the one that goes unstable first - go into the bios and loosen the timings for the RAM. increase them to their highest values, then keep raising the FSB. perhaps you might be able to lower the CPU multi and then keep going even further if the CPU becomes unstable next
Thats what I can't find. The RAM timings Loosen being make lower or make higher?

New cable managment.

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 9:12pm (PST)
loosen meaning make them higher. unfortunately i cant tell you where to look for as i dont know your bios. even if i did, i probably wouldnt be familiar with its layout. youll just have to keep searching. they might not be under 'timings' either. i trust you know that the timings names would be if you saw them?

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 9:16pm (PST)
No. Thats the thing. I've found something that looks like it...

I have something called channel a/b/c timing settings, and channel a/b/c turnaround settings.

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 9:25pm (PST)
did you post this before, or after the PM?

Date:   Jan 01, 11 at 9:26pm (PST)
Which?
I posted it before the one with the image.

Author:   Ren of Heavens
Date:   Jan 02, 11 at 12:35am (PST)
quote Benedict
I have similar corsair RAM, these are the settings I have. BIOS chose something different, so I had to manually set it.

Date:   Jan 02, 11 at 2:14pm (PST)
I think my OC limit for now may have been reached... 3630mhz... Can't get any higher being stable... Haven't messed with the voltages yet though.

Date:   Jan 02, 11 at 5:40pm (PST)
I think I've found a stable OC of 3850mhz! Finally. All day I couldn't boot into windows without it freezing then I change the voltages a bit higher and intel-

Yes! As I'm typing intelburntest reports the system is stable on maximum... I'll prime95 while I have dinner. 150 to go till 4ghz!

Date:   Jan 02, 11 at 5:47pm (PST)
impressive indeed. looks like you did a great job with your rig.

now what about the video card?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.