Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Do you ever disconnect from a Wi-Fi battle? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/36119/t1800952-you-ever-disconnect-from-wi-fi-battle/

Author:   Peter
Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 5:27am (PST)
Subject:   Do you ever disconnect from a Wi-Fi battle?
-------------------------------------------
Exactly what it says on the tin. When battling online, do/did you ever disconnect?

I always disconnect, and with good reason. The entire business with competitive battling is complete utter bullshit. I just want to use my favourite Pokemon and fight, not have to replace them or worry about EV/IV training. Besides, if there's a way to avoid loss, I'll certainly do it. I don't want to have my trainer card keep a record of how many times I lose/win.

Being able to avoid loss is one of the best features in the entire series. It's also funny how butthurt people on YouTube get by recording the battle and then trying to make some random guy on the internet look bad.

Author:   jolteon1996
Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 5:37am (PST)
Subject:   re: Do you ever disconnect from a Wi-Fi battle?
If I could ever connect, I wouldn't disconnect. Why? Because that's being a bad sport.

Author:   supergoji18
Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 7:20am (PST)
If you don't want to battle competitively, don't battle people that do battle competitively

I only disconnect on random wifi matches when people used the most unfair strategies possible (like substitute minimize Starmie) that completely takes the fun out of the battle.

You can't avoid a loss, you can only avoid it being recorded and uploaded on YouTube. If you lose, or are going to loose, then there is no way to avoid it. Disconnecting because you lost doesn't mean you didn't loose.

Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 8:05am (PST)
quote supergoji18
If you don't want to battle competitively, don't battle people that do battle competitively
But here's the issue: who doesn't battle competitively? I can barely find anyone who battles using their in-game team. 99% of Wi-Fi matches are EV trained OU fights.

quote supergoji18
I only disconnect on random wifi matches when people used the most unfair strategies possible (like substitute minimize Starmie) that completely takes the fun out of the battle.
That's nice to hear. Especially when like 50% of Pokemon are all about setting up Swords Dance or something even worse (Quiver Dance, anyone?) behind a sub. That's how sweepers work in a nutshell, really.

quote supergoji18
You can't avoid a loss, you can only avoid it being recorded and uploaded on YouTube. If you lose, or are going to loose, then there is no way to avoid it. Disconnecting because you lost doesn't mean you didn't loose.
Ah, but you see, I don't disconnect if my Pokemon's health bar is trickling to 0. I disconnect when my fifth Pokemon dies and I'm about to switch in my last.

A true loss is when you actually allow your opponent to beat you, and it is recorded on your trainer card. If you disconnect, provided no action has been chosen for either side yet when you're on your last Pokemon, the game will think the battle never even happened.

Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 8:15am (PST)
Peter if you want to battle with an in game team i guess you can just ask someone on here who battles on wifi to battle you with their in game team. Just make sure you explain that to them.

Not sure if you're saying that what I was doing was a bad thing or not. But Sub minimize is a lot different from setting up a Swords Dance or a Quiver Dance behind a sub. It makes it next to impossible to hit the person, and even when you do it will hit the sub, not the actual pokemon.

That still counts as a loss. If you only have 1 pokemon left while your opponent had 3 or more, chances are you're going to loose unless you get VERY lucky. Also, it doesn't matter if the game doesn't think the battle happened or not. If you lose, you lose. There is nothing you can do to avoid that. Plus, all it does is make people not want to battle you because you'll be such a poor sport.

Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 9:45am (PST)
quote supergoji18
That still counts as a loss. If you only have 1 pokemon left while your opponent had 3 or more, chances are you're going to loose unless you get VERY lucky. Also, it doesn't matter if the game doesn't think the battle happened or not. If you lose, you lose. There is nothing you can do to avoid that. Plus, all it does is make people not want to battle you because you'll be such a poor sport.
But still, it doesn't get counted on your trainer card.

Right?

Date:   Dec 04, 12 at 11:53am (PST)
Peter no, but again, whether or not it is counted on the trainer card doesn't matter. If you disconnect because you know you're going to loose, you automatically lost. Whether or not the game recognizes this is irrelevant.

On top of that, disconnecting at the end of a match like that makes people blacklist you. I know I wouldn't want to battle you if you disconnect from the battle before it's even over.

Author:   RegalBryant
Date:   Dec 06, 12 at 4:39pm (PST)
Lose fair and square: Game thinks you lost, people don't think less of you.

Disconnect: Game doesn't record, all the real people think you lost and are a poor sport and will probably never want to battle you ever again.

Date:   Dec 07, 12 at 3:34pm (PST)
quote RegalBryant

Disconnect: Game doesn't record, all the real people think you lost and are a poor sport and will probably never want to battle you ever again.
/\ this Peter

Date:   Dec 08, 12 at 6:31am (PST)
quote RegalBryant

Good. I'll go for the second one.

There's so many people to battle, do I look like I care if one person doesn't want to battle me?

Author:   MagnetBoy
Date:   Dec 08, 13 at 11:17pm (PST)
Peter the competitive scene is one based on EV training and competitive strategy; that's how it is, has always been, and will continue to be. That's because the people who get involved to that degree are the ones who have success.

To call what you say is 99% (probably a rather accurate guess) of those involved "complete bullshit" is a little narrow-minded, don't you think? I don't know what you consider to be a non-bullshit, or 'true,' interpretation of competitive battling, but don't expect your preference to be in some way higher than that of the overwhelming majority to the point of near unanimity of players.

You seem to be in a weird sort of line-straddle: you say you don't take it seriously and that's why you want to battle with your in-game team and refuse to engage in any level of battling higher than that, and yet, you seem to take precious care of your win-loss record in a rather unfair way that deprives those who are better than you at battling of their rightfully earned win. I'm not one to turn anyone away from the scene, for obvious reasons, but that's really not the sort of conduct anyone would appreciate, respect, or commend and there's absolutely no reason for anyone to do so.

I'm in no way saying to leave competitive battling. Rather, I'd like to invite you to try EV training, to try some strategy, to try the use of Pokemon that might be better than others; you'll find, as I and most if not all others here have found, that with experience comes the skill that allows you to take your in-game team, train it up, and have success with your favorites over what you and many others consider to be overused, cliche powerhouses. So feel free to open your mind a little bit, or if not that then at least don't be so high and mighty about not putting the same effort in as others when at the end of the day you're the one preventing them from chalking up the win they entirely deserve.

Author:   Saints Fan
Date:   Dec 08, 13 at 11:45pm (PST)
I think the only time I've ever disconnected was when I came up against someone who used the minimise + substitute tactic and then proceeded to baton pass to Mega Garchomp otherwise I prefer to play fair.

Author:   Jeremy
Date:   Dec 09, 13 at 12:59am (PST)
quote Peter
A true loss is when you actually allow your opponent to beat you, and it is recorded on your trainer card. If you disconnect, provided no action has been chosen for either side yet when you're on your last Pokemon, the game will think the battle never even happened.
You have no idea how small this statement makes you appear as a person. The game doesn't know that you lost, but you know that you did, or else you wouldn't have disconnected in the first place. How can you cling to test results that you yourself fabricated in an attempt to make yourself feel better?

If you don't want to play against competitive battlers, then why don't you disconnect as soon as you see they're playing competitively? Why wait until you're in a corner? When you personally know that you have no way of winning? Saying you don't lose if you turn the game off is like saying you don't lose a game of chess as long as you flip the board before they announce checkmate. From your join date on this site (unless you acquired an older sibling or parent's account), I can infer that you're older than twelve. Stop being a man-child and admit defeat when somebody beats you. Humility is becoming.

Don't try to say you're trying to play casual if you care so much about your win/loss ratio. You're playing competitive, you're just not good yet. But that's okay, we all have starting points. I'd personally mentor you if you want. And I guarantee you'll appreciate true results way more than what you're doing right now. We can help you, you just have to let us.

Author:   thundermaniac
Date:   Dec 09, 13 at 2:29pm (PST)
I choose not to disconnect because I enjoy the challenge of battling competitively or not. I may loose and my win loss isn't accurate, but I enjoy playing none the less. The win loss isn't accurate because people turn off or disconnect when loosing. My win/loss would probably be about even without people who turn off or disconnect because they are trying to save theirs.

Author:   Insanity Prevails
Date:   Dec 09, 13 at 2:49pm (PST)
I wonder if Peter thought he'd get direct responses a year after last posting in this thread?

At least XY now record a disconnect as a loss. I prefer to take a loss even when it's obvious I'm going to lose. If it really looks hopeless I might forfeit the match just to avoid it dragging on needlessly, but I'd rather that than rob my opponent of a well deserved victory. Especially as I've had people disconnect on me.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.