Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Garchomp, Home At Last? - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/36119/t1775508-garchomp-home-at-last/3.htm

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Oct 23, 12 at 8:14pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Garchomp, Home At Last?
-------------------------------------------
quote MagnetBoy
Amen to the Genesect point, also Cloyster's new popularity this Gen from ShellSmash means sooner or later someone will pick up on his defensive prowess as necessary, which would be a nice change of pace for the meta to see some more flexible Pokemon being used
Thanks, i made sure not to post more of chomp until i had given some extensive testing, there are 2 SD sets i see threatening LO, Lefties, there is a bulky chomp set that migth gain popularity, if it only got a good recovery ability he would be an amazing tank, on the other hand a rock helmet set via bulky chomp is something to worry, chomp will realy cause switches so having jirachi as a wish passer or vaporeon even is a good idea, sub sd has lost some value due to priority and as you pointed out cloyster is now on the play so ice shard becomes a new threat to chomp overall via white herb cloyster.

making some calcs and noting down some stuff, i figure out unless chomp runs always a yache berry cloyster can OHKO it +2 outrage chomp wont OHKO choice band cloyster, with no yache it's a sure kill, with yache it's a 2OHKO, scarf sect is actually a good counter, with 0 HP ev's and 0 DEF ev's it can take a single outrage and OHKO back with ice beam assuming a hazardless match (i wont bother to add rocks or spikes for a simple reason it's not a perfect guarantee that matches will always have during all turns the hazards), spoiler A) assumes outrage locked chomp, spoiler B) assumes EQ, spoiler C) assumes SE, spoiler D) Assumes rainless fire fang and spoiler E) Assumes rain and fire fang, please bear with me.

genesect has 3 chances to switch in, at SD, at outrage or at SE

Author:   supergoji18
Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 11:01am (PST)
Duncan Idaho a lot of Cloysters nowadays run Focus Sash. So it can pretty much guarantee a Shell Smash against Garchomp unless it uses Dual Chop, but I'm not sure how much Dual Chop does it it anyway so even that is going to be a possible free SS. Afterword, even a Subed Yache Berry Garchomp is a goner.

Author:   MagnetBoy
Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 1:12pm (PST)
Duncan Idaho (and supergoji18 since you brought up Cloyster and double hit moves) don't forget that IcicleSpear from Cloyster will bring down Chomp's Yache Berry and/or Substitute in a flash before finishing the KO with the other four hits left to take thanks to Skill Link

Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 1:48pm (PST)
quote MagnetBoy
Duncan Idaho (and supergoji18 since you brought up Cloyster and double hit moves) don't forget that IcicleSpear from Cloyster will bring down Chomp's Yache Berry and/or Substitute in a flash before finishing the KO with the other four hits left to take thanks to Skill Link
that's what I meant when I said that, and I quote, "even a subed Yache Berry Garchomp is a goner"

Author:   MagnetBoy
Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 1:51pm (PST)
quote supergoji18
quote MagnetBoy
that's what I meant when I said that, and I quote, "even a subed Yache Berry Garchomp is a goner"
Well, if it runs StoneEdge then it can hit Cloyster at least once and try to do something, and dat crit chance...that's about it though yeah

Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 1:58pm (PST)
quote MagnetBoy
quote supergoji18
quote MagnetBoy
Well, if it runs StoneEdge then it can hit Cloyster at least once and try to do something, and dat crit chance...that's about it though yeah
its only a 12.5% chance!

But out of curiosity, how much will a stone edge do against Cloyster?

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 4:03pm (PST)
quote supergoji18
quote MagnetBoy
quote supergoji18
quote MagnetBoy
its only a 12.5% chance!

Date:   Oct 24, 12 at 5:28pm (PST)
quote Duncan Idaho
quote supergoji18
quote MagnetBoy
quote supergoji18
quote MagnetBoy
its only a 12.5% chance!

ok, so switching into a Stone Edge is obviously out of the question. It would probably be best to just revenge kill Garchomp with shell smash + icicle spear. Unless it can kill it with Dual Chop... How much does Dual chop do in total?

Author:   acetrainershaun
Date:   Oct 26, 12 at 9:38am (PST)
supergoji18

Dual chop isn't going to KO Cloyster anytime soon. Its base is the same as Dragon Claw after it hits twice.

Author:   Jeevs
Date:   Oct 26, 12 at 10:01am (PST)
dual chop isn't effective as it is anymore since the main sub users are latias and jirachi, one who outspeeds and kills you, the either resists dual chop

Author:   Poketrainer_Jay
Date:   Oct 26, 12 at 11:18am (PST)
Garchomp is overrated, Scarf Genesect says Hi

Date:   Oct 26, 12 at 12:00pm (PST)
Acetrainershaun & Jeevs the only reason my Garchomp even carries Dual Chop is because of how Common the FEAR strategy is on random wifi battles. I'd change it to Outrage were it not for that one fact

PokemonTrainer_Jay scarf Genesect just lols at garchomp's pathetic attempts to set up

Author:   Jeevs
Date:   Oct 26, 12 at 12:03pm (PST)
quote supergoji18
PokemonTrainer_Jay scarf Genesect just lols at garchomp's pathetic attempts to set up
Yache Chomp is pretty popular actually

Date:   Oct 26, 12 at 12:25pm (PST)
quote Jeevs
quote supergoji18
Yache Chomp is pretty popular actually
can Garchomp take a +1 ice beam?

Author:   acetrainershaun
Date:   Oct 26, 12 at 1:11pm (PST)
Poketrainer_Jay

Anyone with competitive experience would predict an ice beam and Garchomp is capable of being a good decent scarf user oh wait its faster than Gene and gets fire fang...Bye bye buggy.

supergoji18

Use stealth rock. Fear strategy is 100% useless after stealth rock damage or spike damage. And it depends on how Genesect is Ev'd. If its split Ev's 128 in SpA and Atk Yache chomp is fairly safe from Ice Beam Ohko'ing it (only 6.25% of the time) If Genesect is fully Special Attack Ev'd Yache Chomp doesn't really have that great a chance as shown below.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.