Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Issue when playing football - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/35/t1835603-issue-playing-football/

Author:   BazBro
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 8:16am (PST)
Subject:   Issue when playing football
-------------------------------------------
Right, so I'm 15 and getting into a football team now, I played when I was younger but didn't treat it seriously and now I'm really taking the game seriously. I don't play for a team but have trials with a local team on Friday. I play every wednesday (school training) and on saturday with friends. I play as a striker and I have pace, skill and a good shot. The only thing thats holding me back is I panic when I'm on the ball and then I mess up. I occasionally don't get nervous and I involve myself in every play possible so that I can score. I practice every day and physically am fit. Whenever I don't get nervous I can score 3 or more goals and I want the ball at my feet but when I am nervous I just don't get the ball because I know I'll panic again. Very frustating. Anyone with experience know if this issue can be fixed? I personally think that getting game experience will help but I've been playing for 5 - 6 months and then self training every day, and that does seem to help but hasn't gotten rid of the issue completely.

Thanks.

Author:   pestar93820
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 8:21am (PST)
Subject:   re: Issue when playing football
It's all mental. If you go into a match with a calm head then 9/10 you'll be fine. I've only played about five matches in my life where I haven't been confident of winning and even in those, realising that mistakes are bound to happen helps a lot. Just have confidence in yourself and don't be afraid to try something risky when you have to. Reckon the biggest problem for young, inexperienced players is that they feel intimidated by people who might be older or better but you don't improve by constantly sticking to the simple stuff. Make your mark and impose yourself in matches. That builds confidence and makes you calmer.

Author:   Chappy_112
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 8:23am (PST)
Sounds like you just have to play more and become confident in your ability, you probably panic for fear of messing up. The more you play the less likely you will mess up so you won't panic as much.

Author:   Toonami
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 8:27am (PST)
A good idea is to record yourself with a friend in your garden/local park and practice. Then when you're done upload it here!

Author:   Modiga
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 8:30am (PST)
^

But yeah, the more you play the lower the nerves shall go (hopefully)

Author:   ToonUltra
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 8:31am (PST)
Have a look at some of the top strikers who seem the calmest on the ball like Van Persie, Dennis Bergkamp etc on youtube and then try to interpret what they do to keep calm.

Author:   Junior Messi
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 9:29am (PST)
Make sure your first touches in the game are solid. Even if they're simple, they'll give you a feel of the ball and calm you a little bit more. Don't be scared of losing the ball either, it happens to everyone.

Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 9:35am (PST)
Also when you say you have skill BazBro what exactly do you mean? Cos skill is nothing at all if you panic with the ball at your feet.

Author:   Shave ya Head
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 10:02am (PST)
You can have a good shot etc, but the key is pulling it off under pressure. Imagine playing in front of 40,000 people every week. That's what the pro's get paid a bomb for.

Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 10:10am (PST)
Yeah but he's never going to be a professional playing in front of 40,000 so that's pointless.

Author:   Chappy_112
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 10:22am (PST)
I'm kind of the same if some situations but I think it's just normal tbh until you're confident. When I play with my mates I'm fine and play well but when I play with other people like for example we entered a tournament when we went away and when we first started playing I was nervous because I didn't know what to expect or if I was going to be crap but after a few minutes you realise you can cope and the panicking goes away.

I honestly think it's just a case of the more you play the less nervous you will be. When I played Rugby for Middlesbrough I remember on the morning of games when I first started playing I would feel sick and if I got the ball I'd shit myself. After a few months I soon got used to it and what I had to do in certain situations, it's just a fear of doing something wrong.

Author:   BazBro
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 11:58am (PST)
quote PEStar
Yeah but he's never going to be a professional playing in front of 40,000 so that's pointless.
Was that meant to be a huge negative statement or what? My best mate plays for Bohemians and has already gone on trials with Brighton. Anything is possible.

quote PEStar
Also when you say you have skill BazBro what exactly do you mean? Cos skill is nothing at all if you panic with the ball at your feet.
I can do skill as in I'm not someone who does nothing but run with the ball, fake shots or stepovers would be how I get past someone unlike some other players who would just sprint past someone.

Yeah I can remember I played a game with friends on Saturday (about 8 a side) And I got off to a simple start by receiving the ball and just passing back to the guy who passed to me in the first place. From then on I wanted the ball and was making runs. Probably for the first time I had the confidence to run at the defense and take shots, I had scored about 6 goals and "felt" confident and pretty much unstoppable when I was about to get the ball.

I know stuff like positive self talk is good. I tell myself before a match that when I get the ball I'm going to get a good touch and I'm going to pass it quickly, that rarely works.

Author:   AlexC
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 12:00pm (PST)
Ask RH if you want to know how to be successful in academies.

Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 12:01pm (PST)
Well if you're only seriously getting football at 15 then chances are the highest you're gonna reach is Sunday League. Even players late into the professional game tend to have been playing for teams competitively from a young age. So it's a negative statement yeah, but what do you expect?

Author:   Bollo
Date:   Feb 27, 13 at 12:07pm (PST)
I still like to think I could make it in the English lower leagues. 19 and clubless, but my 5-a-side will surely get me scouted.

anyway i find in football a little bit of fear/nerves is good, keeps you on your toes, don't like being too relaxed. the most dangerous thing for any player to be at a low level is two-footed, wish i'd worked on my left far more when i was younger, players that know me know i'm nearly all right foot

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.