Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Considering playing WoW - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/3463/t1794587-considering-playing-wow/

Author:   Crusad3r
Date:   Nov 19, 12 at 7:45am (PST)
Subject:   Considering playing WoW
-------------------------------------------
I haven't played WoW since before Burning Crusade. So much in the game has changed.

I have the expansions up to Wrath of the Lich King (bought it in the sale before MoP came out), and I'm considering upgrading to MoP, but right now, I'm holding back on it because I have no idea where to start in the game. It's become so big that I've just gotten lost on where to go to meet people and level up.

Is this game worth returning to? I don't have a lot of time in the day to play this, so levelling up would be a very slow process. Would I be better off with a more casual game?

Author:   Angyles Cerddoriaeth
Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 6:08am (PST)
Subject:   re: Considering playing WoW
Actually leveling is not difficult at all, until MoP. With the BoAs, guild perks, etc you can level pretty damn quick without issue. MoP however is a grind, and really only a grind because we do not have BoAs from 85 - 90.

With LFG and PVP it is pretty easy to level toons now.

I play causally and I still enjoy it. I do LFR for gear and that is pretty much it, well I do PVP quit a bit as well.

Author:   Avalith
Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 10:06am (PST)
quote Angyles Cerddoriaeth
MoP however is a grind, and really only a grind because we do not have BoAs from 85 - 90.
It's only a grind from 87-90 imo. The 85 and 86 zones are fairly interesting and engaging until you've done them two or three times.

Author:   bluexy
Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 10:15am (PST)
Cataclysm and Pandaria will be on sale at GameStops for Black Friday. Could save yourself $20-40. I'm still working on my review (yeah, super late... I had to go from 1-90), but I can tell ya I think Pandaria is pretty fun, though I'm still not a fan of the end-game. That said, there's plenty to do to keep you occupied other than the gear grind this time around.

Author:   Yoshi Fanatic
Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 12:16pm (PST)
If doing dailies is your cup of tea then this is definitely your kind of expansion as well. Doing them over and over again for weeks isn't as bad as everyone makes them out to be on the forums. They're also releasing more dailies in 5.1. I also found that Blizzard has made pet battles delightfully addicting.

Author:   bluexy
Date:   Nov 21, 12 at 8:20pm (PST)
Avalith Just the first part. Planning on doing a Monk review and then a leveling 85-90 too. Just need to fit it into my schedule.

Author:   Saevus
Date:   Nov 22, 12 at 3:59am (PST)
quote Crusad3r
Is this game worth returning to? I don't have a lot of time in the day to play this, so levelling up would be a very slow process. Would I be better off with a more casual game?
there's an absolutely overwhelming amount of stuff to do, especially if you haven't been in the mix for a bit, but despite the volume of content this is about as casual of an mmo you can find. you can of course be hardcore about it like many people are but there are others (like me) who only dedicate 3-4 ( or 15) hours per week playing and still enjoy it. unless you want to be in a serious raiding guild, time constraints shouldn't stop you from playing it.

Date:   Nov 22, 12 at 1:16pm (PST)
quote Angyles Cerddoriaeth
Actually leveling is not difficult at all, until MoP. With the BoAs, guild perks, etc you can level pretty damn quick without issue. MoP however is a grind, and really only a grind because we do not have BoAs from 85 - 90.

With LFG and PVP it is pretty easy to level toons now.

I play causally and I still enjoy it. I do LFR for gear and that is pretty much it, well I do PVP quit a bit as well.
wow wow wow

Speak English? What's BoA? LFG? what?

Date:   Nov 22, 12 at 4:24pm (PST)
BoA=Bind on Account. LFG is the Looking for Group in when you can use that button to queue for regular and heroic dungeon 5 man groups from other realms in your battlegroup. That was put into place with patch 3.1 (WotLK) and BoA items were around when Wrath was launched and have expanded since then. You definitely weren't lying about not playing since Vanilla. Another thing you might see is CRZ which is Cross Realm Zones. With the exception of the new MoP areas, all other areas through Azeroth and Outland are filled with others from your battlegroup to encourage grouping up while questing. It's one of Blizzard's greatest successes and failures in my eyes because you can meet new people, but if you level up a gatherer you can run into issues with competition.

Date:   Nov 22, 12 at 9:17pm (PST)
I see.

I started playing WoW when it was released, and quit shortly after because of school. I got up to around level 20? So I never made it very far into the game anyway. I have a new battle.net account now since I lost that account I made way back.

From what I understand then, is that WoW has become more party-play based? When I played, at least at my level, it was geared towards solo grind and occasionally having a raid with your guild.

Date:   Nov 23, 12 at 8:12am (PST)
Doing LFG until Pandaria is actually somewhat fast if you decide to play a Monk. LFG is widely considered to be the way of leveling for most alts. The quest flow in Azeroth was redone though for 1-60 and it actually is also a very good option to choose as well so I'd say they're both about even in terms of leveling.

Author:   harhis23
Date:   Nov 25, 12 at 7:08pm (PST)
LFG and Azeroth worlds both excel in terms of levelling. However, the adventures in Azeroth is hilarious.

Author:   RazorClaw
Date:   Jan 22, 13 at 1:51pm (PST)
quote Crusad3r
I haven't played WoW since before Burning Crusade. So much in the game has changed.

I have the expansions up to Wrath of the Lich King (bought it in the sale before MoP came out), and I'm considering upgrading to MoP, but right now, I'm holding back on it because I have no idea where to start in the game. It's become so big that I've just gotten lost on where to go to meet people and level up.

I know I am probably to late but screw Wow and Act-o-vision get Guild Wars 2 in WOW u can't spend ur own money except for blizzards pet store so ingame currency is non-purchasable and a perm bannable thing unlike Guild Wars 2 where the RTM Currency is there but only used for vanity items.

Wow is fulled with welfare living mommies basement players who rather play video games then actually being a functioning member of socity.

Author:   Avalith
Date:   Jan 22, 13 at 3:10pm (PST)
quote RazorClaw
Wow is fulled with welfare living mommies basement players who rather play video games then actually being a functioning member of socity.
Yet 90% of my guild works full time and we even go places together. Hmm.

Author:   RazorClaw
Date:   Jan 22, 13 at 5:29pm (PST)
quote Avalith
quote RazorClaw
Yet 90% of my guild works full time and we even go places together. Hmm.
then smart pants example the need for a vendor purchase mount going for 120K gold or mount mats from a vendor going for 20K gold hmmm...... the 24 hours a day players need to fee l special it's called raiding welfare bum noobs.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.