Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Sample Graphics » There Is A Light That Never Goes Out - page 18

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/34/t1404758-sample-graphics-light-that-never-goes-out/18.htm

Author:   Tengu
Date:   Nov 06, 11 at 9:36pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Sample Graphics » There Is A Light That Never Goes Out
-------------------------------------------
Yeah I did consider that, in retrospect that's something I would have changed. The deadline is closing in though so I'm trying to rush and complete my other images.

Yeah man, if you're considering it then hit me up on a PM and I'll give you my mobile number. Also, my girlfriend is at Uni in London, Ealing. You're at Imperial aren't you? is that the campus that's near the natural history museum? because I pass that so often and I've frequently thought 'hey maybe i should hit ali up' haha. But yeah my girl's up there so I might pay you a visit sometime. Oh yeah and I'm living in a house with Luke, so should be fun [:

Author:   Shattered Silence
Date:   Nov 06, 11 at 9:56pm (PST)
That's cool man, the campus for Imperial is literally next door to the Natural History museum (backs onto the Science Museum actually). If you're in London lemme know.

Date:   Nov 06, 11 at 10:07pm (PST)
Haha I knew it! Alright cool man, should be heading up to London at some stage this month, I'll give you a bell.

How far away is imperial to ealing broadway?

Date:   Nov 06, 11 at 10:28pm (PST)
Dunno man, half hour on tube? I'm living in Ravenscourt Park, so that's about 10-15 mins away.

Author:   windowlicker
Date:   Nov 07, 11 at 4:31pm (PST)
quote Tengu
I love you too, man. How's uni treating you?
I quit towards the end of my foundation year at Portsmouth (somehow still managed to pass the entire course despite not doing the exam though, weird.) Decided uni wasn't really for me, so I'm earning myself money at Waitrose and generally enjoying myself at the moment. Got a couple of mates that go to Bournemouth uni. One of them is in his second year of Graphics there!

Date:   Nov 07, 11 at 9:52pm (PST)

Sneak peak.

Cool Rob, I though you continued doing it but fair enough. I met some 3rd year graphics students at a house party the other day, they seemed alright. Bournemouth is pretty sick though, really good vibe in the illustration studio.

Date:   Nov 07, 11 at 10:17pm (PST)
Man, I should stop being lazy and start learning illustrator.

Date:   Nov 08, 11 at 1:25pm (PST)

The Baí Zé is a fantastic beast from Chinese legend. Its name literally means "white marsh". The Baí Zé was encountered by the Yellow Emperor or Huáng Dì while he was on patrol in the east. Thereafter the creature dictated to Huáng Dì a guide to the forms and habits of all 11,520 types of supernatural creatures in the world, and how to overcome their hauntings and attacks. The emperor had this information written down in a book called the Bái Zé Tǘ (白泽图/白澤圖). This book no longer exists, but many fragments of it survive in other texts.

Think that's gonna be it till my new project which I'm briefed on Thursday.

Author:   Sphinx
Date:   Dec 03, 11 at 1:01pm (PST)
Looks great Tengu, lovely colour palette you've selected for both the ones you've posted up.

I've actually been trying to learn Illustrator a bit better myself lately, as usually all I ever usually use it for at work is to trace stock price graphs or rip charts out of pdfs, which is hardly inspiring.

That said, I did recently get the opportunity to design a new page, as our quarterly title has undergone a total revamp. The page is for news about important CEOs/underwriters/brokers etc. that switch jobs from one huge insurance conglomerate to another (interesting I know), but I was allowed to be a bit more creative than I would for a normal page so it was still quite fun.

When the art director told me he wanted me to do it and that the page would be called 'People moves', moving house was the first thing that came into my head, so it's a theme I went with. The version I've uploaded has all the content removed, it's just the bare-bones layout, as we're a paid for subscription-only magazine so intellectual property and all that, but it's actually gone to press already and I've seen the printed result and I'm pretty pleased with it. Anyway, here it is:

All done in illustrator, was a bit cheeky and traced the outline of the sign, but everything else is from scratch. The little panels are supposed to be like the adverts in the windows at an estate agents. I know it's not massively complex, but each of the boxes has a little head and shoulders pic of the person as well as some blurb, so we needed to keep it relatively plain otherwise the page would look too busy, which is why there's fairly minimal shading and detail.

And just something else, a little work in progress that I've been doing during downtime at work, also in illustrator. It's a robot from the film Silent Running, which 65dos recently rescored (stock here). I'm just trying to learn to identify which areas of contrast to pick out when vectoring an image, and how much detail to go into. A fair few hours have gone ito it so far, and if you saw my layers palette its pretty disorganised, but its the first time I've tried this and I'm relatively pleased with it so far.

Obviously I've still got a long long way to go, and there are some aspects of what I've already done that I'm going to tweak, specifically the bits of the arm thingy, as I was going to try and colour it with gradients but I couldn't get the right effect, so I'm going to go back over those areas and add the highlights and shadows separately. At the moment I'm only planning on doing the robot, but I'll see how it goes, and if I get better and a bit faster I may try and do the whole thing.

Author:   Remedy
Date:   Dec 04, 11 at 2:29am (PST)
You're very talented Sphinx. I wish you were as active in the past, you would definitely receive the feedback that you deserved. Anyhow, the "People Moves" is simple but executed nicely. The bg is bit too light for my preference, but I think it definitely fits the professional look. The robot is *bleep*ing awesome. Love the detail you put into it and the colors. Looking forward to the final outcome.

Tengu, that's all for Uni? It's ACE in imo man.

Author:   Vicarious
Date:   Dec 04, 11 at 5:16am (PST)

Been messing around in Inkscape without a tutorial and I ended up with this after spending hours trying to get a hang of what all the tools do.

What do you guys think? Can you give me some advice as to what I can actually accomplish on this program?

Sphinx Tengu maybe some advice or something since I am pretty sure Illustrator and Inkscape are similar.

Date:   Dec 04, 11 at 11:42pm (PST)
quote Trojanman
You're very talented Sphinx. I wish you were as active in the past, you would definitely receive the feedback that you deserved.
Thanks Trojanman, though in all honesty, it's really only in the last few months that my interest in G&A has resurfaced and that I've made any real progress. I'm just trying to get as much practice in across the three core parts of the creative suite for publishing production in order to start building a portfolio.

The Pursuit, I don't mean to sound rude, but the flower isn't great. The other shape, while I'm not quite sure what it is, is better, and seems to show a bit more of an idea of the different shapes you can create with paths. Anyway, I've had a little look at the wikipedia entry for Inkscape to get and idea of what it's like, and you're right, it's basically a freeware illustrator, meaning that there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to use it to create the kind of stuff that Tengu and myself have posted, and at an advanced level intimidatingly photo-real looking vectors such as the example on the wiki page.

With that in mind, I think I'd recommend you try to get to grips with the pen tool and using bezier curves. It works on the same principle as the pen tool in photoshop. That is what will enable you to get nice smooth fluid curves, and will allow you to create complex shapes (for example, all the weird shapes on the robot vector I've been doing are all hand drawn using the pen tool in illustrator). It looks like you've experimented with it a bit already which is good, and although it's tricky, it's worth practicing.

Date:   Dec 05, 11 at 12:06am (PST)
Yeah the flower totally does suck I know Sphinx. But take in mind it is my second time to even touch this program. So I guess it is okay for that hopefully.

Thank you extremely for the tips. I will definitely start working with that too.

Date:   Dec 05, 11 at 12:13am (PST)
Well good luck with it and just try to have fun. I've been finding illustrator pretty frustrating at times, but once you work things out it becomes quite therapeutic. Not to mention the fact that vector programs open up a totally different avenue of graphic art than photoshop. Due to the nature of the program, in photoshop you're usually working with stock images, whereas in illustrator (or in your case Inkscape) you'll often start with a completely blank canvas.

I'd recommend just practicing by pasting a simple photo in and trying to trace it using the pen tool, and when it comes to adding detail use photoshop to adjust the colour and contrast levels to help pick out which areas to shade and which areas to highlight. I've found the image I'm tackling a good place to start, as its a drawing in the first place, so the level of detail isn't quite as daunting as a proper photo can be.

Date:   Dec 05, 11 at 6:47am (PST)

Yeah I chose the same robot as you.

You can really tell I have no idea what I am doing but I did actually work on this and another piece for quite some time. Some more hints possibly? Maybe a tutorial I should use?

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.