Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The Berry Glitch and How to Cure it - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/3271/t388404-berry-glitch-how-to-cure/

Author:   Octarine Skye
Date:   May 27, 04 at 3:06pm (PST)
Subject:   The Berry Glitch and How to Cure it
-------------------------------------------
Now that the game has been out for a full year, cases of the Berry Glitch will become quite widespread. As a result, here's the full info on the glitch and how to fix it.

Q: What is the Berry Glitch?
A: The Berry Glitch is the nickname for a glitch in the coding of Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire that basically stops the game's day counter moving. This stops time-based events such as berries growing, the Lilycove Dept Store's sale, and trainer re-battles from happening (for a full list of events affected by the glitch see the section later in the post). It can be fixed relatively easily, but unfixed it can seriously hinder your enjoyment of the game. It usually only appears on a cartridge that is exactly one year old, but it has been known to appear on newer cartridges for some reason.

Q: What events are affected by the glitch?
A: The following are all signs that your cart has cotnracted the berry glitch:
  • Trainers stop wanting to re-battle
  • Berries stop growing
  • Lilycove Dept Store never has any sales
  • Game Corner never has any service days
  • The Energy Guru never sells vitamins cheap
  • The tide in Shoal Cave never changes
  • The Return/Frustration man in Pacifidlog stops giving out TMs

Q: How do I fix the glitch?
    A: All of the recent Pokemon titles have the glitch fix installed into them. There are several different methods of fixing the glitch, depending on the game you intend to fix the glitch with.

If you are fixing the glitch with Pokemon Colloseum, Pokemon Box, or Pokemon Channel (all for Nintendo GameCube) then connect your GBA (containing the glitched cart) to the GC with a GBA/GCN link cable. Go to one of the pokemon uploading options and turn your GBA on. When the GC registers the GBA as being there it will automatically fix the berry glitch.

If you are fixing the glitch with Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen (due out September 2004) link one GBA with a Fr/Lg cartridge to another with your infected Ru/Sa cart. Ensure the RuSa GBA is not turned on. Turn on FrLg and at the title screen, press Select and B. Also ensure that the FrLg GBA has the player one end of the link cable (the purple end of an official cable). Then press A to confirm the action. When the RuSa GBA reaches the Game Boy screen, press Start and Select straight away. The FrLg cart will detect this and begin fixing the glitch.

It is also worth noting that some games stores (notably the US Target chain) will fix your cartridge for free. All you have to do is take in your GBA and hand it over to someone working there and they will fix it for you.

quote Nintendo Europe
    Send it in
    Just send your Pokémon Ruby or Sapphire Game Pak to the following address, and we will upgrade your Game Pak:

Nintendo Service Centre
    Codestorm House
    Walton Road
    Farlington
    Hampshire
    PO6 1TR

Telephone: 0870 6060 247 (Calls are charged at the National Rate to the caller)

Our technicians will upgrade the game for you free of charge, and you'll also get a special surprise gift! To get your gift, your game must be set up properly. Here are the requirements:

1. Make sure that your active team has five or less Pokémon in it.
    2. You must have saved the game at least once after obtaining Torchic, Treecko or Mudkip from Professor Birch.

If you meet these requirements, you'll receive a very special gift!

Q: Will this fix the glitch forever?
    A: Yes. The glitch is then permanently fixed, and nothing will bring it back.

If you think I've missed anything from the guide, or got anything wrong, feel free to point it out in this thread.

This message was edited by Anilones(moderator) on Jun 16 2004.

Author:   AJP
    Date:   May 27, 04 at 9:47pm (PST)
    Subject:   re: The Berry Glitch and How to Cure it
    Is there any way to fix the glitch without any of the mentioned games.
    Also, my sapphire is having all of those symptoms, apart from the trainers. THe trainers in the trainer eyes still challenge me sometimes.
    Don't the Secret Base trainers stop challenging you (I need cheap EVs, you see, like 3Sp.Def EVs from Dustox Lv10).

Author:   GSunny99
    Date:   May 27, 04 at 9:50pm (PST)
    hey, Octarine Skye, what if the glitch happens when u are on a day when there is.... lets say a sale. would it stay like that till u fix it?

Author:   neo14789
    Date:   May 27, 04 at 10:19pm (PST)
    Also, willing EB Games stores will fix it.

Author:   funkydue32
    Date:   May 28, 04 at 12:43am (PST)
    hey can anybody tell me how to fix the glitch on a gameboy advance emulator for pokemon ruby/saphhire

Author:   neo14789
    Date:   May 28, 04 at 12:50am (PST)
    You don't have to. Besides, Neo's TOS says no emulators... and you don't have a "game" to fix, anyway. I don't know anyway, I don't know how you would hook a GCN to your PC.

Author:   yami_marik
    Date:   May 28, 04 at 2:24am (PST)
    hey octarine skye how do you fix that glitch in sapphire because i am realy getting tired of it

Date:   May 28, 04 at 6:28am (PST)
    quote AJP
    Is there any way to fix the glitch without any of the mentioned games.
    Also, my sapphire is having all of those symptoms, apart from the trainers. THe trainers in the trainer eyes still challenge me sometimes.
    Don't the Secret Base trainers stop challenging you (I need cheap EVs, you see, like 3Sp.Def EVs from Dustox Lv10).
    You can take your cartridge to one of the game stores that will fix it, like Target or EBGames (thanks for that info neo), or if you're willing to lose your cartridge for a few days you can send it to your local Nintendo repair shop (the address will be inside one of the manuals that came with your copy of the game). But otherwise you need to link up to one of the new games. And I believe you are right about secret base trainers.

As for regular trainers rechallenging you, I believe they can all do that once before the day system takes over, so it's possible they are ones that you haven't taken on before.

quote GSunny99
    hey, Octarine Skye, what if the glitch happens when u are on a day when there is.... lets say a sale. would it stay like that till u fix it?
    No idea. Sorry.

quote yami_marik
    hey octarine skye how do you fix that glitch in sapphire because i am realy getting tired of it
    Use exactly the same methods detailed here. Both Ruby and Sapphire cartridges can be healed the same way.

Author:   Latias and Latios
    Date:   May 28, 04 at 12:29pm (PST)
    The only symptom we have is that the TV NEVER turns on. Is there any way to fix it in the game without anything else???!!!

Author:   Rayquaza Tamer
    Date:   May 28, 04 at 1:03pm (PST)
    quote GSunny99
    Yep because it happened to me!I'm lucky!

Author:   yami_marik
    Date:   May 28, 04 at 8:35pm (PST)
    so i have to wait till fire red or leaf green comes out?

Author:   lostprophetsfan
    Date:   May 29, 04 at 3:54am (PST)
    just go to eb games and look on the gamecube and it will have a gba slot and a pokemon gift thing and it will give you drections like turn on and stuff

it might give you a shiney zigzagoon with a liechi berry

Author:   Squall_Leonheart
    Date:   May 30, 04 at 1:32pm (PST)
    There's still a lot of threads involving what should be fixed by this going around, so Octarine, I suggest (suggestion only) that you place this in the must read sticky, or the Forum Index to stop further spamming and taking up the space of what should hopefully be useful threads

Author:   Me need help!!
    Date:   Jun 02, 04 at 12:48pm (PST)
    I`ve got the glitch on sapphire PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO CURE IT!!!!!PLEASE REPLY A.S.A.P!!

Date:   Jun 02, 04 at 1:22pm (PST)
    *belms*

Read the first post, it tells you how to remove it.

• Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
    All Rights Reserved.