Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Adamantoise Farming for Low-Level Characters - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32228/t1499775-adamantoise-farming-for-low-level-characters/

Author:   Yilun
Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 5:06am (PST)
Subject:   Adamantoise Farming for Low-Level Characters
-------------------------------------------
Hey guys, seems like I've found a pretty good way to farm the adamantoise even when you're low-level (I just finished chapter 11).

My setup is Vanille Sab as my main, Fang Sab and Sazh Synergist. The paradigm class is called Espionage. It doesn't really matter what HP your characters are at or how strong they are because technically, it won't matter. One stomp from the adamantoise and I'm dead anyways.

I have scarf and sprint shoes on both Fang and Vanille. I have both collector and conn catalog plus sprint shoes on Sazh.

What I do is simply this:
1) Immediately summon with Vanille and it will take out its legs.
2) Immediately dismiss the eidolon by pressing square and calling the final attack
3) After that, just start spamming Death with Vanille. Sazh will make sure that everyone's haste and faith are up.
4) Fang will start debuffing the adamantoise
5) It appears that when the adamantoise is fully buffed (deprotect, defaith, slow, imperil, pain, etc.), the chances of death successfully landing increases by alot.
6) If he stands up, just select retry and do it over again

It doesn't even matter if your characters aren't as powerful as others out there because this doesn't require a single attack except for death and buffing.

The reason why death seems to suck is because if you try to cast it without any buffs on the enemy, it seems to take FOREVER to work. But with the buffs on the fallen adamantoise, the death success rate seems to skyrocket.

I've fought about 20 times, death has worked exactly 12/20 times. My average victory time with death is about 40-50 seconds into the battle.

In the span of the last hour or so, I've gotten 2 platinum ignots and 1 trapz so far. The other 9-10 battles or so that I didn't get any drops, I got 40,000 cp at least. Overall, I think I've earned about 400,000-500,000 cp, 2 platinum ignots (300,000 gil), and 1 trapz (2M gil in value) in the past hour. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Note, my Sab crystal levels are maxed out for Fang and Vanille and I'm using the Bella Wand for Vanille which has improved debuffing.

My friend tried this after I showed him and he also got 1 plat and 1 trapz in around the same timespan, not to mention all the cp you gain as well. Definitely worth some time to invest if you ask me.

Author:   PunkDude182
Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 5:24am (PST)
Subject:   re: Adamantoise Farming for Low-Level Characters
I keep hearing about these catalogs. I've beat the final boss and I've never came across these. Can someone tell me what they do and where I may find them? Much appreciated.

Author:   Spike Spiegel
Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 5:30am (PST)
quote PunkDude182
I keep hearing about these catalogs. I've beat the final boss and I've never came across these. Can someone tell me what they do and where I may find them? Much appreciated.

You must have skipped past some of the treasure spheres on your way through the game. There is a collector's catalog in a sphere in Taejin's tower. There are ther ways to obtain one but that is by far the simplest.

Author:   iainteze
Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 5:50am (PST)
quote Yilun
Hey guys, seems like I've found a pretty good way to farm the adamantoise even when you're low-level (I just finished chapter 11).

My setup is Vanille Sab as my main, Fang Sab and Sazh Synergist. The paradigm class is called Espionage. It doesn't really matter what HP your characters are at or how strong they are because technically, it won't matter. One stomp from the adamantoise and I'm dead anyways.

I have scarf and sprint shoes on both Fang and Vanille. I have both collector and conn catalog plus sprint shoes on Sazh.

What I do is simply this:
1) Immediately summon with Vanille and it will take out its legs.
2) Immediately dismiss the eidolon by pressing square and calling the final attack
3) After that, just start spamming Death with Vanille. Sazh will make sure that everyone's haste and faith are up.
4) Fang will start debuffing the adamantoise
5) It appears that when the adamantoise is fully buffed (deprotect, defaith, slow, imperil, pain, etc.), the chances of death successfully landing increases by alot.
6) If he stands up, just select retry and do it over again

It doesn't even matter if your characters aren't as powerful as others out there because this doesn't require a single attack except for death and buffing.

The reason why death seems to suck is because if you try to cast it without any buffs on the enemy, it seems to take FOREVER to work. But with the buffs on the fallen adamantoise, the death success rate seems to skyrocket.

I've fought about 20 times, death has worked exactly 12/20 times. My average victory time with death is about 40-50 seconds into the battle.

In the span of the last hour or so, I've gotten 2 platinum ignots and 1 trapz so far. The other 9-10 battles or so that I didn't get any drops, I got 40,000 cp at least. Overall, I think I've earned about 400,000-500,000 cp, 2 platinum ignots (300,000 gil), and 1 trapz (2M gil in value) in the past hour. Not too shabby if you ask me.

Note, my Sab crystal levels are maxed out for Fang and Vanille and I'm using the Bella Wand for Vanille which has improved debuffing.

My friend tried this after I showed him and he also got 1 plat and 1 trapz in around the same timespan, not to mention all the cp you gain as well. Definitely worth some time to invest if you ask me.
Seems like a good strategy and I myself gonna give this a try since I just beat the story now I want to start farming some of those guys to upgrade my weapon. Thanks for the info!

Author:   Moonset
Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 5:51am (PST)
quote Spike Spiegel
quote PunkDude182

You must have skipped past some of the treasure spheres on your way through the game. There is a collector's catalog in a sphere in Taejin's tower. There are ther ways to obtain one but that is by far the simplest.
I think you get one from completing one of the earlier missions as well.

Author:   swk3000
Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 2:01pm (PST)
quote PunkDude182
The Catalogs are accessories that increase drop rates of certain rewards. One increases the drop rate of Normal Drops, one increases the Drop Rate of Rare Drops, and one increases the Drop Rate of Shrouds.

Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 4:25pm (PST)
Just an update.

I played the last 22 minutes farming these guys. I killed one with death in about 5 attempts, got a platinum ignot. Killed some wolves to regain 3 TP. Killed another one but no drop. Farmed for TP, then killed a 3rd one and got my second Trapezohedron.

So that was 1 plat, 1 trap, and 120,000 cp in about 20 minutes of game-time.

My Fang is officially casting Slow, Deprotect, Deshell, Daze, and Curse. When all 5 of those are on the Adamantoise, they are dropping like flies against Death.

I could be on an AMAZING string of luck but somehow I find that unlikely. I think buffing does help improve the ratio of death success.

Good hunting and hope you guys can get the same drops I'm getting!

Author:   Memento Mori
Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 4:34pm (PST)
Seeing as the Adamantoise utterly rapes me normally, I tested this tactic, and while it failed the first time, the beast fell the second time. Nothing dropped though.

Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 4:38pm (PST)
You know, a Battle Talisman (Auto-Vigilance) would probably help Vanille's success rate.

Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 6:08pm (PST)
quote Memento Mori
Seeing as the Adamantoise utterly rapes me normally, I tested this tactic, and while it failed the first time, the beast fell the second time. Nothing dropped though.
I say keep at it. If you take the success rate based off of only a couple of battles, the results could totally be random. But over the span of 10-15 battles? I'd say you're bound to get at least a few platinum ignots and maybe 1 trap (not including all the cp you got from the other ones that died but dropped nothing).

My success rate with death has pretty much been around 60-70% so far in all my battles accumulative, taken into consideration all of the assumptions I've laid out above. Make sure you have both collector and conn catalog equipped as it will improve your chances of obtaining as much loot as you can.

Altogether now I've collected 4 platinum ignots and 2 trapezohedrons using this farming technique in about a grand total of 2.5 hours of actual gameplay.

As for the auto-vigilance. I thought vigilance was basically preventing yourself from being interuppted by an enemy attack? Seeing as how the adamantoise should never get a hit off of you, not sure if that comes into play. Although if vigilance has some other extra perk related to buffing that I'm not aware of, then it's definitely worth a look. My Sab for Vanille is maxed out at level 4 (crystal level 9) so it does have the enhanced buff success rate unlocked.

Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 6:13pm (PST)
Vigilance not only decreases the chances of your own attacks being interrupted; it also increases the success rate of your actions. With Vigilance, Vanille would have a better chance of connecting with Death. I'm not sure if it affects the chance of the Death effect actually succeeding, but it couldn't hurt to try it, right?

Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 6:15pm (PST)
quote swk3000
Vigilance not only decreases the chances of your own attacks being interrupted; it also increases the success rate of your actions. With Vigilance, Vanille would have a better chance of connecting with Death. I'm not sure if it affects the chance of the Death effect actually succeeding, but it couldn't hurt to try it, right?
Didn't even know that, but you're right. Thanks for the tip! I'll try to attach that as well. It might even make my 40 second battles even faster at this point

Author:   Bejewd
Date:   Mar 22, 10 at 6:37pm (PST)
Jus so you know all you need for buffs and debuff are vigilince on vanille and curse on the turtle. These 2 are the only ones which increase deaths probability. And curse stays on the turtle when he stands.

Author:   Bendembender
Date:   Mar 23, 10 at 3:36am (PST)
So, I beat the game, and came back to do this tactic because i had heard about it. I took down about 3-4 of em, not knowing that more debuffs increased death rate. I have Marlboro Wand maxed, and i had vanille(sab), hope(syn), and fang(sentinel, i don't know why). anyways i did the summon to take his legs out, and would just spam death with vanille while hope put haste on me. With this i took down about 3-4 of em. I had around 7-8k hp at the time since it was right after i beat the game. Now, I took all the CP i had and improved all my characters stats after this. My Vanille was standing at around 10k HP. I go back to take more of these adamantoise down, and it just doesn't seem to work anymore. I tried it at least 10 times, and it wouldn't work and he would keep standing up. I read up on it and found about the debuffs and i tried that too. Tried again a few times, and no luck, he just keeps standing up, even when i put curse and every debuff up with fang as sab.

Does anyone have any suggestions? i have tried everything. I guess from reading the earlier posts, to just give vanille vigilance? I am so angry I can't kill these things now.

Author:   Bejewd
Date:   Mar 23, 10 at 3:48am (PST)
quote Bendembender
So, I beat the game, and came back to do this tactic because i had heard about it. I took down about 3-4 of em, not knowing that more debuffs increased death rate. I have Marlboro Wand maxed, and i had vanille(sab), hope(syn), and fang(sentinel, i don't know why). anyways i did the summon to take his legs out, and would just spam death with vanille while hope put haste on me. With this i took down about 3-4 of em. I had around 7-8k hp at the time since it was right after i beat the game. Now, I took all the CP i had and improved all my characters stats after this. My Vanille was standing at around 10k HP. I go back to take more of these adamantoise down, and it just doesn't seem to work anymore. I tried it at least 10 times, and it wouldn't work and he would keep standing up. I read up on it and found about the debuffs and i tried that too. Tried again a few times, and no luck, he just keeps standing up, even when i put curse and every debuff up with fang as sab.

Does anyone have any suggestions? i have tried everything. I guess from reading the earlier posts, to just give vanille vigilance? I am so angry I can't kill these things now.

do mission hunt 63. Make sure you have genji glove
for fang.
Use fang light n hope.

Start with fang as sab.

Use fortisol before duel for haste. When duel starts summon.
When summon is attacking use fang for
imperil slow and deprotect.
Once these 3 are inplace cancel summon.
Switch to com com rav.
And you'll kill it way before he stands up.

It's a adamantortious so has like 2mill less hp then the adamantoise.
Also has same drops.
Plus you get gold nugget everytime you kill as secondary drop from the mission.
And actually If you don't have genji glove I think ge drops on in this mission frst prize. So use the death tactic to acquire it then use what I outlined.

Best way to farm these beasts. Only takes 1:30 with strong enough party. Very simple.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.