Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Where are you now? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32197/t1708691-you/

Author:   Rust
Date:   Jan 10, 12 at 5:31pm (PST)
Subject:   Where are you now?
-------------------------------------------
This thread is mostly directed towards the older members of the forum, those of us who remember when everyone posted left and right, when the Dojo actually had a purpose and Crews was a fine mess that rivaled even Loungin' in activity.

But, since most of you aren't around, I have to ask, where are you now?

How many people here still play competitive Brawl?
Casual Brawl?

How about tournaments? Online or off?
Do you place these days? Or can you admit that you haven't gotten much better and just go for the people?

I'm more of a casual Brawler these days. I can't really get into it like I used to, though the spark's coming back. Whenever there's a local tournament, I'll end up going (because mah city sucks and it's free money), but traveling isn't really an option to me. I did find myself sad to miss Apex, though.

How about you fine folks?

Author:   VerticalHorizon
Date:   Jan 10, 12 at 6:12pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Where are you now?

After leaving Neoseeker, I decided to focus solely on offline play and become the best player I could be. I no longer use Snake regularly though I do use him for some matchups. I main King Dedede and became one of the most well known D3s in the United States. I also achieved the following:

- Became Power Ranked in Michigan. I have been ranked 8th for two seasons now.

- Became a member of the Brawl Backroom.

- Became a member of the Unity Ruleset Committee. ( I ran MI's Brawl scene)

- Became a member of the Smash Lab.

- Became a member of the Brawl Panel.

I went to Apex 2012 as well and got to meet Slash, Hippie, and Veggi for the first time in person. I also go to money match Leon, from France. I've done so many amazing things in 2011 and started off this year right. I will continue to keep doing things and be the best player, I can. So yeah...I did some shit lol.

If you want to find me on Smashboards, I go by "Technical_Chase" on there.

Lastly:

On the left is me. The one in the center is Hippie and Slash is on the right. A little treat from Apex <3

Author:   Ready Start L_Arc
Date:   Jan 10, 12 at 11:50pm (PST)
After quitting Brawl/Neo I got into more traditional fighting games. I'm currently playing the hell out of King of Fighters XIII, that game is so boss. Oh I go to tournaments every other week too (actually only over breaks because college and all). I play Brawl once in a blue moon with friends, but like most folks here I'm done with that game competitively.

Author:   Power of Slash
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 12:22am (PST)
So I stopped playing Brawl completely. Focused on making music for a while, but had to put that on pause due to living in a dorm, but I still found my ways. I didn't really play brawl at all during 2011, except for possibly 5 occasions not counting the tournament my college held.

Apex was pretty disappointing imo, mostly because of the lack of setups. Didn't get any friendlies in with the neo folks (except Veggi for 2 occasions of doubles), though I wasn't able to go Sunday, so that might've changed. It was cool meeting up with everybody though. Stab, Hippie, Veggi, VH(You're still VH to me), and Tiger.

Now I can safely say I'm done with Smash, until the next one(even though I was done in the first place), moving on to just... making music, passing college, and playing UMvC3/LoL or DotA2 when it comes out.

Also NJ >>>>>>>>> TN.

Author:   Steam
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 12:30am (PST)
I still play brawl. also into melee and marvel now as well. I'd be top 5 in colorado if we came out with a new PR. Colorado is reviving and is starting to get good. we just don't have many OOS opportunities since states in the west are huge.

I really became known as that lucario main no one likes on smashboards... lol. I dunno if people think I'm good or not though.

though nowadays with brawl I just kinda like to troll people.

so I got things like this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMrauTdKXTU

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 1:11am (PST)
Miss you VerticalHorizon.

I haven't played the game competitively since this forum started to die down. I play it casually now with friends. Ragey does the same but I have a new opponent who I find is a better challenge as they don't fall for my usual tactics so I actually have to try and switch my tactics up. It's very refreshing. I'd love to do tournaments but can't really afford traveling atm.

Author:   Veggi
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 2:49am (PST)
I went on smashboards and browsed the regional boards and saw that Red Halberd was considered the best player in my city (Tampa,) which at the time wasn't well known at all. So I sent him a message asking if he wanted to play on wifi, to which he replied that we should just play in real life and that he would meet me at a play n trade. I went over there and played with him and he beat me every time, which made me feel like I sucked, been then he told me that he was the recently discovered best player in Florida after he went to a tourney and beat all the top players or something like that. He told me I was a lot better than he expected, which made me happy.

Then RedHaberd told me about these smashfests that his friend Ed hosted (the best Shiek in the US and like...second best Zelda or something like that), so I started going to those fests and had a blast. Everyone there was really nice and cool, plus I had a decent amount of free time so I could meet them at the PlaynTrade or go to smashfests and stuff. Then my Wii broke which meant that I just never played wifi or at my house for a long time and I pretty much just didn't play Brawl if it wasn't at a smashfest or a tourney. This caused everyone else to get better a lot faster than I did, which made me sad.

I got into BlazBlue because the online play wasn't terrible like Brawl and my Wii was broken. The only character I liked in the game was Tager though and then I eventually got tired of going into a match and getting comboed for generations and generations. I could do lengthy combos with Tager as well and I was really good at getting reads from playing Brawl so much, but it just eventually got boring. Plus even though Tager sucked, everyone online started to use him at one point and I hate dittos.

My friends became very dependent on me to take them home from school, but I got gas money and food from their house for driving so I didn't have to rely on my parents as much. My friend that I drove home every day basically made it so that I could almost never go to play n trade after school or go to smashfests. However, he played Street Fighter so I played that with him all the time and my other friend got into Street Fighter from him as well. My other friend I used to play Brawl with, but the friend I took home every day didn't like Brawl so we all just stopped playing it so we could all enjoy our time together. Then MvC3 came out eventually and I got sub decent at that before we all decided that there were a lot of things that we didn't like about the game. Mainly, that we didn't like how the game was more oriented around combos than it was around reads and footsies. Even though we both liked the game, we both preferred street fighter.

I got my Wii fixed sometime a little bit after Donkey Kong Country Returns came out, but I was just so used to not playing it that I never wanted to play online again. I just used it for whatever cool Wii games were out.

I went to college and found out that the smash scene here was hype even though the players weren't that great. If any of you saw the people with FGCU preceding their name at APEX, those would be the people I usually hang out with from the smash scene here. I started to play Brawl a lot again when I got to college and it helped me improve a lot, but I got into this bad mindset where I would think of everything as though it wasn't an important match, which caused my skill level to increase slower and when I got into important matches I would lose my focus somewhere in the middle of the match and not realize the importance of what I was doing so I wouldn't try as hard.

Now after being at APEX, especially at the third day, I feel like I got a lot better and I'm determined not to disappoint you guys the next time we meet. Hopefully at the next important tourney I go to I do better than 2-2.

Also, sorry that this is so long, I just wanted to make it very thorough. : )

Author:   SonicFire
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 3:53am (PST)

2008: Some random that raged and couldn't decide on a main.

2009: THE CHOCONANER BURSTS INTO SOCAL'S OFFLINE SCENE AND BECOMES THE BEST DIDDY IN CALI IN 1 DAY. I made playoffs on AiB and became one of the best wifi names, also beat that fgt Ally on wifi ;D

2010: Win dubz playoffs but do horrible in offline tourneys.

Early 2011: Remain a dominant force in dubz and help take down Norcal in one of Mike's tourneys but phail to really do any damage to Socal's PR in singles. Attend some tourneys after but I don't enter anything. :[

Late 2011: Come out of an 8-month hiatus and lose to some formerly ranked player that starts talking shit (despite him practicing like every week to potfill :l) and practice occasionally with my offline crew.

Now, I don't know. I feel like getting back into smash but I don't really have the funds or time to attend tourneys or even practice smash like I used to. -_-

Author:   Steam
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 5:41pm (PST)
come to colorado choco. I love you.

Author:   Kingy
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 8:22pm (PST)
I've never played competitive Brawl. I've always been a casual gamer!

The last time I played Brawl was with some friends a month or so ago. Since I got my Xbox, I almost never play my Wii.

I've been in this forum over five years, back when it was still new. I can't even bring myself to see this place active.

Author:   Shadow Troup
Date:   Jan 11, 12 at 10:40pm (PST)
I took off after the brawl forum breathed its last and went quiet for weeks at a time, I stuck with it for as long as I could and tried to bring it back to life but I could not do it. I strayed from brawl when people stopped playing on neoseeker, the people that kept me well trained were gone so I lost interest and went back to online RPG and FPS while working on my graphics skills. I outright stopped playing brawl when the disk broke down but, before that I played for fun with my friends offline and owned them good thanks to all the training I got here. I use to play competitively when this place was at its prime and I'm sure I got into arguments more than once in this place.

Now I don't do too much other then design backgrounds, homework, and Skyrim but I really wish this place would come back.

Author:   Junglepwner
Date:   Jan 12, 12 at 12:47am (PST)
I know I quit playing Brawl after about a year it came out. Just didnt have the replay value of Melee to me.

I still play it now and then. Nothing beats Melee when it first came out though. Also no offense to "tournament" players of this game but I dont see how this game could be played at a high level like MvC3 and evo. Its like saying im a tournament mario kart player...

Author:   Kokoro
Date:   Jan 12, 12 at 7:23am (PST)
I have some online matches sometimes here and there. I also do the occasional playthrough on Classic Mode. That's pretty much it though.

Author:   Power of Slash
Date:   Jan 12, 12 at 5:56pm (PST)
quote Junglepwner
Its like saying im a tournament mario kart player...
If you play with items. I don't see how one couldn't see the tournament aspect without the items and the illegal stages

It's like looking at Pokemon and saying "oh, this is a kids game. No way this could be competitive" while completely ignoring the meat and potatoes behind the game.

Just because it's not traditional (read Capcom fighting game) doesn't mean it's not legit. It's a party game with rules set by a community that turn it into a unique fighting game of it's own. I for one am for thinking outside of the box, so to dismiss something that does that really irks me, I hope you understand.

Author:   Oogity_Boogity_Boo
Date:   Jan 12, 12 at 7:29pm (PST)
Wow. Weird, I was a regular in this forum a long time ago, and I only remember like half of the people in this thread. Makes me feel as old as I can possibly feel for being 19.

I've always been a casual gamer, so I don't really do tournaments or anything. I still play with friends every once in a while. We usually either do a 99 stock match (for which we have a trophy for the most recent winner between the four of us who do this), or Alco-Brawl (self-explanatory). I almost always use R.O.B., but I'm living in Chicago for school. I don't have my Wii here, so playing Brawl is confined to either being at a friend's place or when I'm home.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.