Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Brawling RPs[Now Playing-Pokemon][PM only][READ FIRST POST] - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32197/t1661280-brawling-rps-playing-pokemon-pm-only-read-first-post/

Author:   The Blazing Shadow
Date:   Jul 02, 11 at 12:33am (PST)
Subject:   Brawling RPs[Now Playing-Pokemon][PM only][READ FIRST POST]
-------------------------------------------
So yeah, I got this approved through Gotenks. I have had this idea I've been pondering for quite a while. A long time ago, I made something on ssbb to entertain myself with when I got bored. Basically like mini games with a set of rules decked out for certain playable characters, a lot like RPs that put focus on certain game series in an introduction to brawl. Over the years, however, it got boring, unchallenged and dull facing just computer opponents.

I then decided "Hey, why not make them into actual RPs with other people" I contacted a bunch of my friends on here that played brawl, but they all rejected my request for a variety of reasons, since then, I've been considering asking the public, Which brings me here.

First, I want to make this clear that these games are NOT competitions. They are RPs. I'd like people who could play there parts well. There will be "villains" and "heroes" and, while I would of course prefer it if the heroes always win, sometimes the villains may win, since a large portion of the RPs will be fighting based in the actual game of SSBB. This idea is turning out to branch out a bit from what my original message to Gotenks stated as I'm typing this and I apologize for that, but I'm thinking about this thread being a non fighting in character thread while PMs would be considered OOC material.

When you sign up, you are put on a roster and are available to sign up for certain roles on any RP between plays. Please note that your FC will be posted here, so take that into consideration before signing up. because of all the roles and the resulting implied skill levels (such as generic enemies, main characters, evil villains, etc.), I would prefer that people of all skill levels consider signing up, from being unskilled and casual to skilled but casual to clueless but technical to skilled and technical, otherwise things could get a bit awkward. (skilled and technical generic enemy lol, easily beaten super villain, lol)

However, even if you are a technical player and you sign up, (which again, I encourage) I would still prefer you maintain at least a certain sense of casual play, since we are making an RP out of it (IOW, you could still pull off a few technical moves, but don't overdo it... I'm not necessarily saying go easy on others just for the sake of going easy on them, but rather think a little about how a play should look and give other's a chance without necessarily throwing the match away. I'm not sure if that gets the message across very well, but I'm sure a lot at least understand what I'm trying to get at.) and yes, your skill level will help in determining what roles are best for you, so if you could include that when signing up, being honest to the best of your knowledge, it would be appreciated.

It would also be nice if we could get judges and people who are capable of getting videos of battles and posting them up on YT, preferably as private for judges and people in the RP, but it is not required. Also, please do not post OOC in this thread while a play is going on unless you are me, gotenks or a judge and have something notable to address. Also no whining or bragging in or out of this thread unless it is both in this thread AND in character, preferably specified as such to avoid confusion. Don't even think of playing on that game either.

a judges job will be to take a look at videos of battles and determine if an illegal move had a significant impact on the battle that happened and if it is worth replaying. (some RPs will require that the main hero not use certain moves until a certain point in time) I have several plays all set and ready already, but after you get the hang of it, feel free to write your own and introduce them and the rules behind them in between plays

I think that pretty much covers everything, but feel free to ask me any questions in case I might have forgotten something. I can't recall my friend code off the top of my head, so I'll check that out later, but as for my skill level, I consider myself to be pretty good. I tend to play casually, but don't really go easy on anyone. I will admit I have taken stabs at playing technically and usually have fun doing it, but with all the givens, I much prefer casual play and won't recall anything about technical play off the top of my head.

Important information about joining

Once you join, you're FC will be posted here and you will be available to take part in future RPs. You MAY NOT join in on RPs that are currently underway... In addition PLEASE DO NOT POST AN OOC MESSAGE IN THIS THREAD SAYING YOU WISH TO JOIN WHILE AN RP IS UNDERWAY. This is only an acceptable way of joining between RPs. if an RP is underway, please PM me saying you wish to join and I'll add you that way, otherwise, it spoils the mood of the RP. RPers, if someone does this, please ignore them and continue on with the RP. They may just be trolling and I'll message them individually addressing my concerns and asking them if they would like to join, give feedback, or whatever the case may be.
Player Roster

Expert
Denver1313 - [4983-7342-7380]

Advanced
captain boo - [Checking fc]

Intermediate
The Blazing Shadow - [0905-0594-9639]
mattardis - [1076-5198-1147]
CrazeMatt - [3052-2991-8707]

Decent
-

Beginner
-

Author:   Denver1313
Date:   Jul 02, 11 at 4:38am (PST)
Subject:   re: Brawling RPs[Now Playing-Pokemon][PM only][READ FIRST POST]
Interesting concept.

Though I'm afraid that you will have no such luck here. The brawl forums here are pretty inactive. You would be hard pressed to try and find anyone activie enough to participate.

Date:   Jul 02, 11 at 4:53am (PST)
Yeah, I understand that it may be hard finding people who are interested in joining, since this forum is pretty much dead, but this'll always be open, possibly even past the time the new open comes around to replace it. Besides, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people that still play Brawl and might join anyways. Just saying, there may very well be a lot of people out there thinking that exact same thing.

Author:   mattardis
Date:   Jul 02, 11 at 6:50am (PST)
this looks fun

fc: 1076-5198-1147
i guess you could say im an intermediate to excellent brawler but im not exactly a professional. there are many people, such as steam who could easily beat me.

1 question. will these rp's be voiced, or have text?

Date:   Jul 02, 11 at 1:40pm (PST)
Alright, I have you down. To answer you're question, Since the only things that will have the potential to be recorded are actual battles and the rest will be taking place as text in this thread, I don't really see the point in doing voice overs.

Also, judges and uploaders signing up won't need to share their fc with the public, but they will need to share them with the person who is playing the 'main hero', so they can receive their replays and then judge or upload their videos.

Author:   Denver1313
Date:   Jul 03, 11 at 12:38am (PST)
4983 7342 7380

I'll join.

I'm expert.

Date:   Jul 03, 11 at 1:14am (PST)
I'll take your word for it, since you replied, and thus likely fully read through everything, first... however, your post did get me thinking about reviewing the definition of skill by the standard which I am referring to when I say "skill level"

Expert

You are very devoted to playing technically and have become extremely good at it. You train everyday or at least hard when you do or can recall it on a button. You are an expert if you are between this and flawless

Advanced

You know about technical game and use it effectively, but not to the best that you can use it. There is much room yet for you to improve if you wish to do so. You do not have to wish to become better to fit in this rank, however.

Intermediate

You know little to nothing about playing technically or have knowledge but do not wish to use it... at least not regularly or readily. Commonly known as "just playing for fun" but also being really good at it. You can also fit under this rank if you, like me, can play technically, but usually can't be bothered and/or have difficulty with it.

Decent

You don't really know what you are doing and just play casually and are pretty much going with the flow of the battle, pushing buttons and doing whatever you think is best for the situation without putting very much effort into it.

Beginner

To put it bluntly and briefly, anything below the skill level described in "Decent".

Like I said, those probably aren't official definitions, but rather a guide to help people understand what I am referring to, personally and to also help people who might have trouble measuring their own potential in regards to what I'm referring to.

Author:   mattardis
Date:   Jul 03, 11 at 9:52am (PST)
im definitely intermediate.
also, im MATTARDIS, not mettardis

Date:   Jul 03, 11 at 2:19pm (PST)
whoops... sorry about that... fixed

Author:   captain boo
Date:   Jul 04, 11 at 2:20am (PST)
This is really neat, but...

quote Denver1313
Though I'm afraid that you will have no such luck here. The brawl forums here are pretty inactive. You would be hard pressed to try and find anyone activie enough to participate.
Irregardless, I'll join when my Wi-Fi starts working again.

I'd be expert if it wasn't for the total lack of ANYONE to play, so I'm assuming I'd be advanced...

Should we post which characters we are at our said skill level with to avoid confusion?

Date:   Jul 04, 11 at 4:22am (PST)
If you want to you can, but it is really not necessary, since I'll be asking for people who want to fill what roles for certain plays.

Author:   Steam
Date:   Jul 04, 11 at 10:36pm (PST)
I got quoted into this thread.

but yeah... this forum is too dead for something like this to work. it's a good idea though.

Date:   Jul 05, 11 at 5:13am (PST)
quote Steam
I got quoted into this thread.

but yeah... this forum is too dead for something like this to work. it's a good idea though.
Actually, after captain boo gets his connection back up, we'd have almost enough for almost any of the games I have set up...

Ideally, it would be best if we could get at least two decent players and three beginner players, but computers could fill those roles pretty well and they aren't too major of roles, either

Though another intermediate player would be good for one or two of my other idea's, I think.

Author:   CrazeMatt
Date:   Jul 06, 11 at 9:58pm (PST)
The Blazing Shadow I'll be happy to step in as an intermediate if you need one.

Date:   Jul 06, 11 at 10:35pm (PST)
quote CrazeMatt
The Blazing Shadow I'll be happy to step in as an intermediate if you need one.
Sounds great.

Okay, mattardis and Denver1313, after I get a FC from CrazeMatt and captain boo gets his connection back up and I can get a FC from him, we'll officially have enough to start a pokemon based brawl RP.

If all five of us can agree to that, (post here saying so) I'll start an OOC PM thread and I'll put the instructions down there and we can figure out some details about the actual storyline apart from the game play and I'll change the thread title.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.