Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: E3 says it all : Wii is the best - page 3

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t950341-e3-says-all-wii-best/3.htm

Author:   Guticb
Date:   Jul 22, 07 at 6:55am (PST)
Subject:   re: E3 says it all : Wii is the best
-------------------------------------------
Honestly, I think the Wii could have EASILY stolen the show this year, yet Sony just plain massacred both Nintendo and Microsoft. I believe the EXACT opposite occurred last year?

Sony and Microsoft have all the hardcore gamers ATM. That's a major demographic that I'm sure Nintendo won't be able to capture with the Wii. Honestly, this E3 ensured I would NOT be getting myself a Wii any time this year. One of the games I was looking forward to was Metroid Prime 3, and now that I've heard there will be no multiplayer, I couldn't care less about it. I was also interested in Project H.A.M.M.E.R., but now that it's been 'indefinitely postponed' I couldn't care less about the Wii. I'd much rather spend the money that could have been spent on a Wii upgrading my PC further.

Author:   Momo7
Date:   Jul 22, 07 at 6:19pm (PST)
quote weskraudaon
Alot of people buy it because it's cheap. So that's why.
Yes, but after they discover that it's the best, you know, Nintendo can sell it for 500 USD, and the Wii still can beat the PS3... It's not because of the consoles that Nintendo is beating other companies, it's because of their strategy, Nintendo is aiming EVERYBODY, including dogs, hardcore, grandams, everything that can play video game, thats why the demand is EXPLOSIVE... and that's why Nintendo the best ... for now.

I like video games, and who likes video games likes Nintendo, except fanboys. Or other people that don't have the Wii or that aren't so much informed about it, all the people in my school, turned to Wii, why ? My school director publiched an article about it and gave it to all the students... and everybody knows it's the best, but some of the people don't believe the truth and those are... fanboys.

Author:   Akira_EX
Date:   Jul 22, 07 at 9:01pm (PST)
quote Momo7
Yes, but after they discover that it's the best, you know, Nintendo can sell it for 500 USD, and the Wii still can beat the PS3...
Wrong. One of the largest faults against the PS3 was the large barrier of entry: the price point. Jacking up the Wii price would be insanely stupid, even if they do happen to lead the industry. A $250 price point is by far more marketable than $500.

As far as the "ZOMG Nintendo has no hardcore games!" argument, I prefer not to discuss that right now. The term "hardcore" with the definition everyone wants to use it makes it seem that like the whole community are jerks, and is stupid.

Author:   MetroidSeeker
Date:   Jul 22, 07 at 9:28pm (PST)
In making wii, nintendo had the idea of making it cheap, fun, and as accessable as a tv remote. It is slim so it fits in virtually any Tv Setup, has the remote so it is accessable, and stands tall with other tv devices that have become so much of a household item. Nintendo did it, make a game console that rivals our own dvrs. Wii is as much for everyone as TV is. It has its Hardcore games and its casual games. Nintendo is making many casual games because the casual demographic is much larger than the Hardcore, so it makes money from the casual gamers, and delivers games like smash bros brawl, mario galaxy, etc. that is why wii wins E3, and the console war.

Author:   Sereph
Date:   Jul 22, 07 at 11:53pm (PST)
I'm sorry, but I don't consider "Rayman Raving Rabbids", "ExciteTruck" and WiiFit to be "hardcore" gaming titles. That's reserved for big names like GTA IV, Halo 3, Uncharted, Killzone, etc.

Also, since the biggest market for Wii consoles are non-casual gamers, the $250 price point is perfect. If they were ever dumb enough to jack up the price even by $50 the demand would drop through the floor as you've just lost 90% of your casual audience.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 12:28am (PST)
This last Christmas, the Wii was such a phenomena that they could have easily charged $300 for it, just for the sheer fact that people wanted it so bad. Look as the insane prices people were willing to pay on Ebay for one. Now that the initial rush has past, the $250 price point is about where Wii should be.

Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 12:42am (PST)
quote Sereph
I don't consider "Rayman Raving Rabbids", "ExciteTruck" and WiiFit to be "hardcore" gaming titles. That's reserved for big names like GTA IV, Halo 3, Uncharted, Killzone, etc.
Neither do i, maybe because you named casual games especially WiiFit
CoD3 was pretty hardcore, so was Zelda: Tp, and i liked Excite Truck. Those are launch titles btw i could tear up a list of 2007- early 08 games that are hardcore. Seeing as you named WiiFit (a game that will come out in 08) i guess i will make a list of Hardcore games.
Edit: Here it is:
1. Battallion Wars II
2. Brothers in Arms: DT
3. Disaster: Day of Crisis
4. DBZ:BT3
4. Dragon Blade
5. Dragon Quest Swords
6. Ghost Squad
7. Guilty Gear
8. Mario Strikers Charged
9. No More Heroes
10. RE: UC
11. Soul Calibur Legends
12. Metroid Prime 3
13. Smash Bros Brawl
14. Super Mario Galaxy
15. Tony Hawks Proving Ground
Those are my favorite Hardcore games coming out this year, as more will be added.

This message was edited by metroidseeker on Jul 22 2007.

Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 1:31am (PST)
Versus 90-120 games coming out on the PS3/360/PC by the end of the year.

Try again.

Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 1:34am (PST)
And what exactly are all these big name, hardcore titles coming out? I certainly haven't seen that many good games for any system this year.

Author:   Guticb
Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 1:36am (PST)
quote bbb7002004
And what exactly are all these big name, hardcore titles coming out? I certainly haven't seen that many good games for any system this year.
Halo 3, Mass Effect, Lair, Unreal Tournament 3, Warhawk, GTA4.

Now what were you saying?

Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 1:43am (PST)
Only 114 more to go.

Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 2:05am (PST)
PS3 Game lineup (100+ games)

360 list (338 games)

PC games (around 30 in 2007)

Even if you subtract 75% of those lists for being crap, you still have at least triple the "hardcore" library of the Wii.

Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 2:18am (PST)
So at least triple the titles on three times the systems. That would seem to be around even to me, by your own math.

Okay, I'll stop with the sarcasm now.

Yes, Xbox and PS3 both have more "hardcore" games than Wii. And when I say hardcore, I mean the typical games that you think of when you say hardcore, meaning the super realistic, shooting/beat-um-up games. Even so, the amount of quality titles, good games that are fun, unique, etc., coming out on all three systems is pretty deep, and insulting one system over the other is fairly stupid.

It all boils down to personal preference anyway. For me personally, there is around a dozen titles for Wii this year and early next year that I will buy, and even more I am interested in. On the opposite side, I really only see around five titles on both 360 and PS3 that interest me. My guess is that both of you, Sereph and guticb, are about the exact opposite. That's why its great to have three different systems. We all get exactly what we want.

Author:   nnkklo
Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 3:21am (PST)
I would much rather have a "casual" system with a couple hardcore game than a "hardcore" console with no casual games.

This is because getting one or two hardcore games will be good for playing against my friends who are hardcore gamers, and the rest of the games are good to play with the rest of my friends and family.

Date:   Jul 23, 07 at 3:32am (PST)
lol seraph those are ALL of the games coming to their pertaining system, while i named only 15 of my FAVORITE up]oming hardcore games. that cuts the list by ALOT if you didnt already know

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.