Highlight this box with your cursor to read the spoiler text.
This is something I've been mulling over for a while. I'm currently frequenting two other forums that both use a forum setup that basically lumps all discussion in one board (Wii-specific in one, Gaming-specific in another), which is quite a contrast to what Neoseeker has: separate boards for separate games.
I know I'm not the first to notice that they are a ton of game boards in all sections which are as dead as a rock. You may like the game, you may want to talk about it, but there's nobody in the forum to talk with. It's rather unfortunate, really. There are a bunch of games that we would like to talk about, but since the forum's dead, there's not much we could do.
So, what's my solution? As of right now, I'm allowing official game threads. What's an official game thread? It's a thread just for the general discussion for a game, with a lot of back and forth, and a bunch of people can chime in, from the sanctity of this forum. Of course, this shouldn't stop you from trying to make the game's forum more popular and busy, but this is a good way to at least to talk about the game in the meantime. Got something you want to get off your chest, but really don't want to make a new thread about it? Congrats bro, you've found your soapbox.
Need examples of these general discussion threads?NO MORE HEROES Discussion - FS/FT Pure White Giant Glastonbury LE Pink Cartridge
(CAG)Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love
(NeoGAF)Best roguelike on the DS - New official thread of you will buy Shiren DS
(NeoGAF)Arc Rise Fantasia - New Wii RPG by imageepoch
Alright, here are the ground rules for these type of threads:
- The original post needs to be epic. By epic, I mean it needs to be well-thought out. Trick it out with images, etc. Make a cool-looking first post, and you can attract people. Oh yeah, perfect spelling and grammar are required. I'll fix what I can, but I'll delete or close if the OP is overall crap. A witty title, although desirable, is not necessary.
- The original post has to be INFORMATIVE. I can't stress this enough. Pull whatever information you can to create the thread: Neoseeker Profile info, Wikipedia, Trailers, Websites, etc. Since this is a substitute/placeholder for a regular forum with full-on discussion, we basically need to replicate the profile, ESPECIALLY for those who are unaware of the game the thread is about. You don't want to go into a thread solely centered about one game and go "So, what the heck is this game?". However, you don't have to overdo it, as long as you can get the gist of the game across.
- Although, if you really want to, you can bust out all the stops and try to sell people on the game like the Shiren DS thread.
- This is NOT a full substitute for the game's forum. These threads are to facilitate discussion when currently it isn't possible/feasible to do so. Case in point, the Final Fantasy Fables: Chocobo's Dungeon forum is pretty freaking dead right now. I know Yoshi Freak is absolutely crazy about the game, and I'm pretty sure he wants to talk/hype up the game alot. This gives him a place to do so and actually have people respond.
- If a forum for the game exists, the OP MUST link to the game's forum.
- Don't ignore the original forum. Sure, you can talk about it here, but we also don't want the General Wii forum to completely cannibalize the other smaller forums. If you create the official thread, you should still be trying to create some quality activity in the game's original forum.
- If a game already has a forum that is pretty active, don't bother creating an official thread. It'll be locked. It's pretty obvious to tell which game should get an official thread and which shouldn't. Games like Super Smash Bros. Brawl don't need an official thread to generate activity, but games like Chocobo's Dungeon do. If you're unsure, just shoot me a PM.
- Official Release Threads can only be made at the earliest one week before release, in any region.
- An official release thread is basically saying that the game is now out, and should have any and all discussions continue there. Any info/talking bits that are uncovered before this point in time must be done is an existing news thread, or create a new thread if one doesn't exist.
- If you really want to make a game's official thread, PM me with your reasoning and a general idea of how the thread is going to look. I'll tell you if you have to okay to lay claim to it or not. You cannot do these "reservations" within a month of the game's release. You lose the reservation if you don't make the thread on the first day you can make the thread.
- If there are any existing news threads on a game, like the one for The Conduit, I'll ask that any current discussions move over to the official thread if it is made.
- These type of threads will be first-come, first-serve for their creation. Although, if the later one of two threads made around the same time happens to be better, then that's the one I'll leave open.
To recap, these are the types of threads that fall under these guidelines
- Official Hype threads -> getting people hyped up for an upcoming release, up until one week before the game comes out
- Official Release threads -> oh man, the game is officially out (or going to be out within the week). on-topic game discussion! Any and all topic matter still in the hype thread should shift over to this thread.
That's pretty much it. Rules are subject to change. If you have any questions or any feedback, shoot me a PM
. Have a nice day.