Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Nintendo Power magazine shutting down, editor hopes final issues are "memorable" - page 2

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1766193-nintendo-power-magazine-shutting-down-editor-hopes-final-issues-memorable/2.htm

Author:   Mystic Aurora
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 6:52am (PST)
Subject:   re: Nintendo Power magazine shutting down, editor hopes final issues are "memorable"
-------------------------------------------
Yeah, the guides and tips and whatnot are what made the magazine. The majority of gaming mags were just throw-away material, and after Future took over NP, it became more like the other mags.

I say it's another nail in the coffin for gaming mostly for what it's doing to the culture. Nintendo's fanbase in particular has been through hard times. First Nintendo's official forums were shut down, Camp Hyrule canceled, and now Nintendo Power's gonna be gone. Each of those had palpable social value to Nintendo fans and it's sad to see them go like this. And if it's happening to the most successful gaming company, what will happen to their competitors? They certainly have more money to throw at the problem, but unless it's fixed, the problem will continue.

Long story short, if the culture dies, then nobody will be inspired to make games, the industry gets less good ideas (like what's going on with the oversaturation of FPSs), and the market, being flooded with poor ideas, will crumble.

Just like it did in 1983. Except we won't have another Nintendo to pull us out of it.

Author:   kik36
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 10:17am (PST)
Subject:   re: Nintendo Power magazine shutting down, editor hopes final issues are "memorable"
quote Mystic Aurora
Just like it did in 1983. Except we won't have another Nintendo to pull us out of it.
What...the WiiU doesn't count?? LMFAO LMFAO LMFAO

Author:   Zuidy
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 10:38am (PST)
OK, WTF?

They screwed up my last subscription and I haven't had an issue for half a year or over. So we got that figured out and they offered me an extra free 6 months......

I still haven't got a goddamn issue since 2011. *bleep*.

I better get the last issues soon and then my $20 back.

Author:   Zombie_Barioth
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 4:39pm (PST)
Swampasaur thats exactly what it feels like, its like if Tara Strong suddenly up&quite. I agree on the miniguides and stuff and is part of why I'll still keep mine, but I quite reading them for the news and focus on the interviews and stuff like like the nes 25th anniversary.

I don't see how the no magazine means games will suffer. The community suffers sure but it doesn't mean the Nintendo (or anyone) will suddenly run out of ideas.

Author:   Mystic Aurora
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 4:51pm (PST)
quote kik36
quote Mystic Aurora
Um, if gaming collapses and MS, Ninty, and Sony fall, who's left to become the next Nintendo and pull the industry out of the rut?

Author:   Lesley Pro_04
Date:   Aug 22, 12 at 4:57pm (PST)
quote Mystic Aurora
quote kik36
quote Mystic Aurora
Um, if gaming collapses and MS, Ninty, and Sony fall, who's left to become the next Nintendo and pull the industry out of the rut?
Any of the gaming companies that are out there, not just Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo. Heck, might not even be one of those three because when Nintendo released the NES back in 1985, they weren't even in the business of making home game consoles at the time of the Gaming crash.

Author:   jolteon1996
Date:   Aug 31, 12 at 1:54pm (PST)
Just great. My favorite magazine is being canceled. I am VERY unhappy.

Author:   TailsFan101
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 3:17pm (PST)
FUTURE US AND NINTENDO HASSLED THE HOFF!!

Author:   FoneBoneFan15
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 8:47pm (PST)
Rip Nintendo Power 1988-2012.

Author:   Shadic Hearts
Date:   Jan 20, 13 at 9:45pm (PST)
I'll miss it forever.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.