Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Anybody remember the old Nintendo Revolution rumors? - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1710142-anybody-remember-old-nintendo-revolution-rumors/

Author:   Junglepwner
Date:   Jan 18, 12 at 8:36pm (PST)
Subject:   Anybody remember the old Nintendo Revolution rumors?
-------------------------------------------
Like the title says I remember a couple years before the Wii came out everyone was saying the new Nintendo console coming out would be named the "revolution" and have HD graphics and a huge game selection. I just remember people always talking about it and some people were even saying it would come with a new Smash Bros as a launch game.

Anyone remember this?

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Jan 18, 12 at 8:38pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Anybody remember the old Nintendo Revolution rumors?
Revolution was the codename for the Wii. Brawl was originally gonna be a launch title but got delayed....three times.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Jan 18, 12 at 9:12pm (PST)
Wait, when was Brawl a launch title? Iwata mentioned the online connectivity of then code-name Revolution at E3 2005 and how a game like Smash Bros. would utilize it to the surprise of Sakurai who had left Nintendo at that point. The two got together after that E3 and came to an agreement to build a team for Sakurai and started development on the game, revealed the Wii in 2006 along with a teaser trailer in 2006, and then the Brawl site launched with no indication that I remember that it would be anything but a title in development. I think headline grabbers probably overblew the trailer, but I remember no confirmation of a launch until the Winter '07, Feb. '08, March '08 set of dates and delays.

I also don't remember rumors of HD, but I wasn't following the industry that closely back then.

Author:   FoneBoneFan15
Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 4:36am (PST)
I've never heard of Nintendo Revolution rumors because I was busy playing downloadable and flash games in 2006.

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 5:50am (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Wait, when was Brawl a launch title? Iwata mentioned the online connectivity of then code-name Revolution at E3 2005 and how a game like Smash Bros. would utilize it to the surprise of Sakurai who had left Nintendo at that point. The two got together after that E3 and came to an agreement to build a team for Sakurai and started development on the game, revealed the Wii in 2006 along with a teaser trailer in 2006, and then the Brawl site launched with no indication that I remember that it would be anything but a title in development. I think headline grabbers probably overblew the trailer, but I remember no confirmation of a launch until the Winter '07, Feb. '08, March '08 set of dates and delays.

Maybe it was Galaxy that was suppose to be the launch title. I can't exactly remember since it's been a while. But it was either Brawl or Galaxy that was scheduled to be a launch title at one point.

Date:   Jan 19, 12 at 4:29pm (PST)
Galaxy may have been, and I'm pretty sure Metroid Prime 3 was scheduled for launch and pushed back.

I just remember being all excited when news of Red Steel leaked out a month before E3, and awesome I thought that game was going to be. Ha, crushed dreams.

Date:   Jan 20, 12 at 4:15am (PST)
I know it was the codename and all but I just thought it was funny lookin back at all these rumors from online and from kids at school how it was gonna be basically like the ps3 or 360 in terms or graphics and how all these really good games were coming out for it.

Ironically it was the exact opposite. Subpar graphics with motion based controller and little to no game selection. Granted Twilight Princess and Brawl have some pretty good graphics. Most of the first party titles do/did.

Date:   Jan 20, 12 at 2:15pm (PST)
The system had quite a good game selection, unless all you want to play is western developed sequels to big name PC games.

Author:   Big A2
Date:   Jan 20, 12 at 4:23pm (PST)
quote Junglepwner
Subpar graphics with motion based controller and little to no game selection.

Date:   Jan 23, 12 at 1:27pm (PST)
quote demoncatjuston
considering how every single game for ps3 and xbox is OMFG SHOOT IT, I think the wii turned out better.
Comments like that certainly don't help.

Date:   Jan 24, 12 at 1:27am (PST)
Anyway...

E3 2006 sure was something. I still crack a smile when I remember Miyamoto walking out, Wiimote in hand to conduct a symphony of Miis to classic Nintendo tunes, followed up by a barrage of footage from Red Steel, Zelda Twilight Princess, Excite Truck, etc. So much fun, hopefully the re-unveiling of WiiU will have similar impact.

Author:   Ingenium
Date:   Jan 24, 12 at 9:21pm (PST)
Oh, yeah. I have an old magazine about it. I loved the Wii as it is though. To be honest, my favourite game by far is SMG. Make of that what you will.

Author:   Justin
Date:   Jan 29, 12 at 6:35pm (PST)
The Wii was targeted at those who enjoy Nintendo styled games. If you don't enjoy Mario, Zelda, etc., dont get a Nintendo console.

I can remember all my friends who hastily returned the Wii in for an Xbox/PS3 and then complaining.

Personally, Wii has been one of my favorite consoles. I still play it (though pretty rarely), even after the many years of having it. The wii didn't need enhanced graphics/online play because the games given are uniquely those made by Nintendo.

Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 5:23am (PST)
quote Big A2
quote Junglepwner
Subpar graphics with motion based controller and little to no game selection.

Not knocking the Wii im just saying it was different then what the old rumors were. No need to bring out the meme pictures...

Date:   Jan 30, 12 at 9:04am (PST)
Actually I made that picture.

The isn't "little to no game selection". "Sub-par graphics"? What is even on-par? All things considered, some games (Super Mario Galaxy, Brawl, and Twilight Princess) looked fantastic, not to mention the the limitations often forced developers to come up with more creative solutions in terms of graphics (Wario Land Shake It, A Boy and His Blob).

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.