Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Leaving Discs In - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1672789-leaving-discs-in/

Author:   Black Rainbow
Date:   Aug 18, 11 at 1:30am (PST)
Subject:   Leaving Discs In
-------------------------------------------
Okay sorry if you've already seen this thread, but I wanted to ask if it's okay to leave discs in the console when it's off. Whenever I turn off my Wii, I fully unplug it, and leave a disc in. There hasn't been any problems so far, and I've had my Wii for about 4 years. But I'm still worried... I heard somewhere that it can cause problems. Is this true?

Author:   Justin
Date:   Aug 18, 11 at 4:06am (PST)
Subject:   re: Leaving Discs In
Is there a specific reason why you unplug your console? I've been leaving discs in my Wii since it came out, and I haven't experienced any injured or scratched discs. I have heard, though, that moving the console while it's on AND there's a disc in, that it will be scratched.

Author:   Paper Mario Dude
Date:   Aug 18, 11 at 5:49am (PST)
quote Justin
I have heard, though, that moving the console while it's on AND there's a disc in, that it will be scratched.
That's pretty much common knowledge. People who complain about getting discs scratched because they were moving their system and demand a new copy of the game should be slapped in the face. Last time I checked, these game systems aren't PORTABLE, so why would you move it, especially when it's on and running a game? Better reception maybe? Oh, it's not an antenna for a TV. Honestly, if anyone read their instruction manuals, or had common sense, people wouldn't have problems with their systems...unless you have a PS3 Original, because the cheap parts used in it, as well as the soldering used is garbage, and is a ticking time bomb. Any type of big, plug-in electronic needs breathing space, and people need to learn that too.

Date:   Aug 18, 11 at 7:04am (PST)
I wasn't complaining, if that's what you thought? I'm not sure if that was a direct response or just a general thought.

But yeah, I agree. I don't understand why you'd need to move your running console in the first place, to be honest.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Aug 18, 11 at 3:19pm (PST)
Occasionally you can't help it. I was playing Smash Bros. Melee with a friend who got overexcited and pulled my Gamecube off the table, slamming it into a concrete floor. Luckily the Gamecube was built to be indestructible, so only the faceplate popped off with no damage to the system or disc. (The game didn't even skip a beat, what a trooper!)

But yeah, moving the system around with a disc inside is generally a bad idea, on or off. I try to remove the disc if I'm moving my Wii to another room, but generally leave a disc in any other time. I will also occasionally remove a disc if I know I'm not going to play Wii for a while, just to avoid dust building up on the disc, but that's pretty rare for me.

Author:   Dragoon
Date:   Aug 18, 11 at 3:42pm (PST)
I've never taken a disk out unless I've wanted to switch games while on the console, which is rare because I usually just replay my games over and over. Never have I taken a disk out before I was turning the console off, and my disks have recieved no damage. So don't worry about it, it's perfect safe.

Date:   Aug 18, 11 at 10:02pm (PST)
quote Justin
I wasn't complaining, if that's what you thought? I'm not sure if that was a direct response or just a general thought.

But yeah, I agree. I don't understand why you'd need to move your running console in the first place, to be honest.
It was just a general rant It's just stupid for someone to think they could pick up a game console or anything with a CD being read in it, and move it all around and expect things to be fine and dandy.

Author:   bond007106
Date:   Aug 18, 11 at 11:39pm (PST)
I've had the same disc in the console for months at a time before, and it's never done them any harm.

quote Paper Mario Dude
quote Justin

It was just a general rant It's just stupid for someone to think they could pick up a game console or anything with a CD being read in it, and move it all around and expect things to be fine and dandy.
I'm rather ashamed to say that I moved my Wii whilst it was one and had a disc in today (although I don't think the disc was actaully spinning at the time).
I'd just started up my Wii after a long period idle (I'd just receive Xenoblade Chronicles in the post), and then I remember that it had started to develop a funny rattle when use upright, so I picked it up and laid it on its side, which makes that rattle go away. I remember just after I'd moved it that you shouldn't move it whilst on, but fortunately the disc was unharmed.

Date:   Aug 19, 11 at 2:34am (PST)
If I recall, discs gather dust much quicker when the Wii System is laid on its side. I keep my Wii standing at all times.

Author:   bond007106
Date:   Aug 19, 11 at 11:01am (PST)
quote Justin
If I recall, discs gather dust much quicker when the Wii System is laid on its side. I keep my Wii standing at all times.
I keep it standing when it's not in use for weeks at a time. But when I actually use it, I keep it on its side, so I don't get the aforementioned rattling.
But is dust on the disc really that much of an issue? Surely you can just clean it?

Date:   Aug 19, 11 at 5:24pm (PST)
quote Justin
I think the Wii looks better standing up, but unfortunately, my parents didn't listen when buying the TV stand for the HDTV so it can fit while standing up, but that blocks vents so I have to squeeze it in there >.<

Date:   Aug 19, 11 at 5:49pm (PST)
Bond, I don't think it's a huge deal if you clean it up and whatnot, but I have heard that its side gathers much more dust.

I like the look of it standing more, too.

Author:   Black Rainbow
Date:   Aug 19, 11 at 5:58pm (PST)
Okay. I've stopped leaving discs in it when I turn it off, though, just because it says to do that in the manual.

My Wii is packed up right now, though, because I'm moving, and it will be transported via lorry.

Oh and Justin I fully unplug my Wii remote because I've read that if you just turn it off at the console and leave it, it's still technically on, but the fans aren't running so it's possible it may overheat.
This especially goes for if it's connected to the internet, because Wii Connect 24 will still be on, and the console will still be online and searching for others that are online, so it is slightly more likely to overheat. Luckily, mine isn't connected to the internet, but still.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Aug 19, 11 at 7:06pm (PST)
It does generate heat in standby mode, but it is not extreme. There were a few reports of earlier models that ended up damaged, but I think most of those were due to minor defects in the chips. Nintendo also improved how the Wii operated in standby reducing the risk even further.

Author:   Castaway
Date:   Aug 27, 11 at 10:30am (PST)
I unplug my Wii too... for your reasons and to conserve energy. I sometimes leave discs in... it really only makes a difference if you move the system.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.