Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: problem having my wii read Dual Layer ORIGINAL games/pimp my wii issue - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1622657-problem-having-my-wii-read-dual-layer-original-games-pimp-my-wii-issue/

Author:   Duncan Idaho
Date:   Feb 22, 11 at 4:58pm (PST)
Subject:   problem having my wii read Dual Layer ORIGINAL games/pimp my wii issue
-------------------------------------------
my uncle bougth me metroid prime triology on colombia when he was sent on a trip, i know both venezuela (my country) and colombia use NTSC-U format, yet for some odd reason it refuses to read random dvd's it will read a copy of sengoku basara but will refuse to read golden eye 007.

the issue comes with metrioid prime triology, i know this is an original game but when i insert it directly onto the wii it says 'cannot read disc' the manuals are of not much help.

the odd thing it was that before it could read my other game, super smash bros brawl, odd thing comes in now it cannot read it, and i have every CIOS updated bar the IOS 61 that is updating as we speak and an other that is the IOS 80.

so what the heck is going on? i had troubles for some games to be read on 4.2 do i need to downgrade? if so are there any safe downgraders? as 4.2 offered minimal advantages and i updated as an idiot.

onto the pimp my wii issue when it's downloading both IOS it gets to 7/15 and then it says there was an error on the http and that is it cancels the download.

for the first what i can do to fix this problem?, same goes for the second, i have an NTSC first gen wii with 4.2 system menu, latst CIOS installed by pimp my wii latest CIOS 222 and 249 rev20b

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Feb 22, 11 at 6:18pm (PST)
Subject:   re: problem having my wii read Dual Layer ORIGINAL games/pimp my wii issue
Have you tried cleaning your lens? May be a hardware problem instead of software.

Date:   Feb 22, 11 at 6:22pm (PST)
Subject:   re: problem having my wii read Dual Layer ORIGINAL games/pimp my wii issue
quote bbb7002004
Have you tried cleaning your lens? May be a hardware problem instead of software.
how i am suposed to do that?! i cannot take appart the wii, and i am betting your run of the mill DVD lens cleaner ton d the trick

Date:   Feb 22, 11 at 6:26pm (PST)
You can order Wii specific cleaners off the internet, and a regular DVD cleaner should work at least a little bit. Repeatedly putting it in the Wii should eventfully give the small brush enough passes on the lens to do something.

My Official Nintendo cleaner was one of the best investments I made for my Wii.

Date:   Feb 22, 11 at 6:30pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
You can order Wii specific cleaners off the internet, and a regular DVD cleaner should work at least a little bit. Repeatedly putting it in the Wii should eventfully give the small brush enough passes on the lens to do something.

My Official Nintendo cleaner was one of the best investments I made for my Wii.
gues i'll ask my uncle when he goes to peru to see if he can bring one to me, the issue is that i need to get a credit card in order to buy dollars, and i am not all too trusty of mercadolibre

also if it were a lens problem then why it can read Fire emblem and pokemon battle revolution games with no problems, yet when i insert brawl it odesnt? if it were a lens proble shouldnt the wii unable to read any discs?

Date:   Feb 22, 11 at 6:35pm (PST)
Dual layer discs like Brawl or Prime collection are harder on the lens. There were tons of these problems back when Brawl was released, for example.

Date:   Feb 22, 11 at 6:39pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Dual layer discs like Brawl or Prime collection are harder on the lens. There were tons of these problems back when Brawl was released, for example.
*sigh* i guess i'll ask around how much i would be charged for cleaning the wii as there was a subway construction near my house i wouldnt be surprised if the amounts of dust are interfering on reading the games.

assuming now then that it is a software problem (i just want to be safe) what would be the issue i have CIOs 249 rev20b i am only missing the CIOS 80 and 61 and those are due that for some odd reason they keep failing when i run pimp my wii

Author:   DXD
Date:   Feb 25, 11 at 8:59am (PST)
quote bbb7002004
Which I was told makes them extra susceptible to dust and other intrusive particles when compared to regular discs which aren't irked in the least when confronted. This is what makes the officially-licensed Nintendo Wii Lens-Cleaning Paddle so essential, I'd assume.

Author:   Big A2
Date:   Feb 25, 11 at 11:38am (PST)
Wasn't Nintendo fixing lens problems for free when all the Brawl problems started? It'll probably be too hard for you to send your Wii in though.

Date:   Feb 25, 11 at 5:45pm (PST)
quote Big A2
Wasn't Nintendo fixing lens problems for free when all the Brawl problems started? It'll probably be too hard for you to send your Wii in though.

This message was edited by Big A2 on Feb 25 2011.
well it seems nintendo officially started a new store in my country to sell the 3DS i read it on the newspaper (announcement sections) so i am gonna have to track it down there was one in la candelaria but it was sold and turned onto a sound store and the other one in santa fe was also sold and turned onto a laundry store so yeah it is not gonna be easy i know two places where they can clean my wii but the issue is that i dunno how much it will cost me or if they will force me to replace the 'chip' of the wii

Author:   cigol_101
Date:   Apr 30, 11 at 8:42am (PST)
it does sound like the laser is at fault

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.