Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The Official Wii U Thread of This is Actually Happening - page 5

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1614120-official-wii-thread-of-this-actually-happening/5.htm

Author:   KirbyHyrule
Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 7:22am (PST)
Subject:   re: The Official Wii U Thread of This is Actually Happening
-------------------------------------------
I don't really think there has been anything like this though where a console is being released 1-2 years minimum before the rest.

And I don't think it will turn out well unless they make it really good, first of all there has to be some really good games and 3rd party support if Nintendo expects people to move on and accept it as the next generation, and secondly it needs and edge on the competitors that will keep people coming to it and keep in in the race even when the other consoles come out.

The controllers seem interesting, how interactive and different they will be will determine how much of an asset they are, as of now though I don't care for them too much, you will end up paying like $80 just for a separate controller I'm betting and I don't even know if thats worth it, what will the screen even do? It lets you have your own screen in local multiplayer? So what? It needs to have more going for it (which it may very well have).

Also the online HAS to be not only up to par, but superb, again if this IS Nintendo's next gen console (and not just an in-between console like I suspect) then it needs to be above and beyond in terms of online which already is a major factor in gaming and will only continue to grow.

Author:   Big A2
Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 8:03am (PST)
quote KirbyHyrule
I don't really think there has been anything like this though where a console is being released 1-2 years minimum before the rest.
Going off Japanese release dates, Genesis was release 2 years before SNES. Dreamcast was released a year and half before PS2, and 2 and a half years before GameCube. 360 a year before Wii/PS3. Happens all the time.

Author:   Daweii
Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 11:40am (PST)
quote bbb7002004
EDIT:
So, looks like the latest round of rumors is saying a price tag between $350-$400 (US) and the system will roll out either Oct.-Nov. 2011, Spring 2012, or Holiday 2012.

Price seems steep. Much like the 3DS, if the rumored specs (especailly the controller) are true, I can see the worth of the system for that price, but at the same time it's a hard to justify that much money being spent on one device. Also, the controllers as rumored will cost a ton of cash to get extras of.

This message was edited by bbb7002004 on Apr 21 2011.
In an economic climate such as this where people have less spare income and yet still spend $700 on an iPad2, we are lucky that the new Nintendo console is only rumoured to cost $400. Current spending trends show the system could be double that and still sell millions in a week.

Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 11:54am (PST)
For anyone interested, there's a very interesting and entertaining discussion on the Wii 2 rumours and whether releasing a new console so soon is a good business strategy over here.

Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 9:34pm (PST)
quote Big A2
For anyone interested, there's a very interesting and entertaining discussion on the Wii 2 rumours and whether releasing a new console so soon is a good business strategy over here.
Very insightful, I think they are mainly right, I'm thinking Nintendo will tease the Wii 2 and mention it, but I really doubt they would go into detail, they need to promote the 3DS.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 10:16pm (PST)
Nintendo has been supporting a console and a handheld at the same time since the early 90s. I'm sure they can push the 3DS and Nintendo 6 in one conference easily.

Author:   FoneBoneFan15
Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 12:16am (PST)
I hate when the new Nintendo system does not have backwards Wii compatibility.

Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 1:08am (PST)
quote FoneBoneFan15
I hate when the new Nintendo system does not have backwards Wii compatibility.
Where'd you read that? Whatever Nintendo's doing with the new console, I'm sure it'll have backwards compatibility with Wii games, and support all the Wii controllers and stuff.

Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 1:19am (PST)
Every rumor so far has had Wii backwards compatibility, with most having Gamecube compatibility thrown in as well. Cube seems less likely since you would have to have memory card slots on it, though I suppose they could get you to start all games from scratch and save to system memory.

The main thing I want to know is, if these controller rumors are anywhere near true, how on earth are they going to power it? I love my wireless controllers, but I can't see something with a screen in it not having rechargeable batteries and having a cable that you can plug and play with the system.

Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 3:26am (PST)
Yeah I don't know the controlers are really kind of strange to me, they seem more like a handheld than a control with all these supposed features they will have.

Also, do you guys think it will be still catering to casuals, or core gamers, or both equally?

I mean Nintendo has obviously found casual gamers make more money and Sony and Microsoft seem to be catching on to this too.

Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 4:40am (PST)
quote KirbyHyrule
I mean Nintendo has obviously found casual gamers make more money and Sony and Microsoft seem to be catching on to this too.
I don't think casual gamers are the first thing on their minds here. They've had their Wiis sitting there for a few years collecting dust. If Nintendo was focusing on the casual audience more, they Nintendo wouldn't bother with HD and Blu-Ray (if those rumours are true).

Author:   ims2golfer
Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 1:07pm (PST)
I didnt feel like reading any of the posts being captivated by the title but has any one heard of project café?

Author:   Akira_EX
Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 3:04pm (PST)
You would have known that if you read the posts in this thread

Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 3:28pm (PST)
quote Big A2
quote KirbyHyrule
I don't think casual gamers are the first thing on their minds here. They've had their Wiis sitting there for a few years collecting dust. If Nintendo was focusing on the casual audience more, they Nintendo wouldn't bother with HD and Blu-Ray (if those rumours are true).
Nintendo has been releasing more "core" titles than "Casual" titles for the entire generation with Wii. Really, the only difference between Wii and other Nintendo consoles has been the Wii _____ games, which aren't that much different than the multitude of sports and puzzle games they released on NES, or the other random Mario spinoffs that have been a staple for a while.

Author:   Red Steel
Date:   Apr 23, 11 at 9:41pm (PST)
I was pretty put off by the price. I love the ideas that are being put out there about the console, but I just don't know if I'll have some $600-$700 for its release. That price would also greatly hinder me getting a 3DS.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.