Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: The Official Wii U Thread of This is Actually Happening - page 4

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1614120-official-wii-thread-of-this-actually-happening/4.htm

Author:   Ground
Date:   Apr 19, 11 at 2:15am (PST)
Subject:   re: The Official Wii U Thread of This is Actually Happening
-------------------------------------------
Probably

Just because he worked on Brawl as if it was the last one doesn't mean he won't work on one again

Author:   Big A2
Date:   Apr 19, 11 at 8:33am (PST)
Just imagine, Super Smash Bros in HD on a 50GB Blu-Ray disc.

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Apr 19, 11 at 4:57pm (PST)
Brawl is the most successful game of that franchise. Even without Sakurai, Nintendo will look to release a new one.

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Apr 20, 11 at 1:19pm (PST)
So, am I the only one not excited by the rumor that Rockstar is working on a title for the launch of the next Nintendo system?

Its not even that I don't believe the rumor, I'm just not a fan of GTA or what it brings to the industry. I also think it would be an incredibly risky move for Nintendo at launch. Most of the Nintendo faithful out there, at least in my opinion, don't care that much about GTA. If they did, they already have a PS or Xbox. If it is a multiconsole title, which it would pretty much have to be, it would see far greater success on the 360 with its greater penetration and larger fanbase. It would just cement from the get go that only Nintendo games sell on Nintendo boxes, even if that would be an unfair comparison at that point.

I mean, look what happened to Chinatown wars.

Date:   Apr 20, 11 at 4:07pm (PST)
I think Chinatown Wars was largely hurt by piracy. Just going off common sense, it's easy to think that the target demographic of Chinatowns is a lot more likely to pirate a game instead of pay for it as opposed to the target demographic for say, Mario Kart or Pokémon.

Anyway, if Rockstar is making something for the "Wiipire Strikes Back" launch, I doubt it'll be a GTA game, as the fanbase for that series is pretty much locked onto Sony and Microsoft consoles.

Date:   Apr 20, 11 at 4:17pm (PST)
quote Big A2
I think Chinatown Wars was largely hurt by piracy. Just going off common sense, it's easy to think that the target demographic of Chinatowns is a lot more likely to pirate a game instead of pay for it as opposed to the target demographic for say, Mario Kart or Pokémon.

Anyway, if Rockstar is making something for the "Wiipire Strikes Back" launch, I doubt it'll be a GTA game, as the fanbase for that series is pretty much locked onto Sony and Microsoft consoles.
I do agree in part, but the same could be said about the console versions which appeared to sell just fine. I know that DS piracy is rampant, but it appears to be just as rampant on the other consoles as well, what with the report that came out a few months ago saying how CoD BO 360 version was the most pirated game of the last year.

Author:   nani17
Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 12:42pm (PST)

Author:   Dio
Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 5:34pm (PST)

Real or fake?

Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 5:39pm (PST)
Its originally from 4chan, so you can make your own judgment.

My guess is fake as fake can be, just something a fan drew up after reading rumors. for specific reasoning, I really doubt Nintendo would be using stock pictures from NSMBWii to advertise their brand new HD console.

EDIT:

So, looks like the latest round of rumors is saying a price tag between $350-$400 (US) and the system will roll out either Oct.-Nov. 2011, Spring 2012, or Holiday 2012.

Price seems steep. Much like the 3DS, if the rumored specs (especailly the controller) are true, I can see the worth of the system for that price, but at the same time it's a hard to justify that much money being spent on one device. Also, the controllers as rumored will cost a ton of cash to get extras of.

Author:   Pwnige
Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 9:46pm (PST)
More info.

Most notably,
quote IGN
According to sources with knowledge of the project, Nintendo's next console could have a retail price of anywhere between $350 and $400 based on manufacturing costs, and will ship from Taiwanese manufacturer, Foxconn, this October, putting the earliest possible retail release anywhere between mid-October and early November.

Additionally, IGN has learned that the system will be based on a revamped version of AMD's R700 GPU architecture, not AMD's Fusion technology as previously believed, which will, as previously reported, out perform the PlayStation 3's NVIDIA 7800GTX-based processor. Like the Xbox 360, the system's CPU will be a custom-built triple-core IBM PowerPC chipset, but the clocking speeds will be faster. The system will support 1080p output with the potential for stereoscopic 3D as well, though it has not been determined whether that will be a staple feature.

Finally, Nintendo is considering naming the console Stream, though it is potentially one of several names currently being vetted by the company.
Stream is eh. Better then cafe though.

Author:   KirbyHyrule
Date:   Apr 21, 11 at 11:21pm (PST)
The Nintendo Stream?

Nah, just doesn't work.

I have theory that this will be an inbetween console until the next generation which I hear is like 2015, kind of like the virtual boy (for lack of a better example) except for a longer time and a much better console.

Because if it IS for the next gen then Sony and Microsoft would have to make their next consoles soon too or else Nintendo's console would be outdated by the time the next consoles come out and would lose 3rd party support.

Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 12:58am (PST)
The next console will be significantly different than the last however, as the graphical improvements will be much harder to notice than the jumps in previous generations. It takes a lot more time, effort, and money to squeeze any more realism into a current gen. game, something developers and publishers are already hesitant to do.

This means that the big impact hardware will have on the next generation is not on polygons in a model or textures on a wall, but on things like competitive and intelligent AI, realistic animations, and the small details of the game world.

It will certainly be interesting to see the course Nintendo takes. Their console needs to be able to play well with the 360 and PS3, but be strong enough to entice publishers to make their games for Nintendo 6 first, then port their games down to the competitors.

That, and make the console have unique enough features that people will want it no matter what. Really, it needs to act as the 3DS is positioned. Even though it has less specs than the NGP, 3DS can still produce games like Street Fighter 4, making that extra horsepower mostly irrelevant.

Author:   KirbyHyrule
Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 3:05am (PST)
Even if the graphics cannot be improved upon that much more or if they just won't matter as much, that doesn't mean that "cafe" or "stream" or whatever you want to call it won't be outdated by the time Sony and Microsoft make their next console. And I guess outdated isn't really the correct term, more like, less powerful.

Anyways it is being compared to the 360 and PS3 alot...well so what? Those are outdated by now. I would impressed if the next Nintendo console is as powerful as the next Sony and Microsoft one.

Which like I said is why I think they may be making it an in-between console rather than the next generation.

With the Kinnect and Playstation Move, why would Sony and Microsoft go onto the next generation, I heard the next generation would be in 2015 and why not, do you really think Sony wants to make another console? That is the last thing they want considering they are probably still losing money from the PS3 or are just now breaking even. So I think it is unlikely a new console form Microsoft and Sony will come anytime soon.

Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 4:14am (PST)
That's why this will be such an interesting move. One would think that the first mover advantage would apply, but history hasn't been quite so clear cut. Genesis hit before SNES, yet lost. PS hit before Saturn and the N64 and won the generation, but N64 hitting last still managed a clear second place. Dreamcast hit first, but was wiped out when PS2 hit and dominated the rest of the gen. Then 360 gets its headstart, and is promptly routed by the Wii.

The only thing predictable about the Video Game industry is that's it's completely unpredictable. And that's why I love it.

Date:   Apr 22, 11 at 6:36am (PST)
quote bbb7002004
That's why this will be such an interesting move. One would think that the first mover advantage would apply, but history hasn't been quite so clear cut. Genesis hit before SNES, yet lost. PS hit before Saturn and the N64 and won the generation, but N64 hitting last still managed a clear second place. Dreamcast hit first, but was wiped out when PS2 hit and dominated the rest of the gen. Then 360 gets its headstart, and is promptly routed by the Wii.
It's not just totally unpredictable though. There are many reason why those things happen. SNES beat Genesis because the NES fanbase carried over (oh, and the games were 10 times better). PS beat N64 because the discs could hold more data than cartridges and thus the console received better 3rd party support. Dreamcast, well, we could go on all day about the issues that console had. Wii beat 360 because of its novelty value.

When a console is released is practically irrelevant. Though one thing’s for sure, Microsoft/Sony’s next consoles, no matter how long they take to hit the market, will make Project Cafe look under-powered.

However, now that were looking at what may be a 2-3 year gap between a console and it's competitors, things could get interesting.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.