Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Wii works but doesn't work. white writing - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1582320-wii-works-but-doesn-work-white-writing/

Author:   soccerking57
Date:   Oct 04, 10 at 7:04am (PST)
Subject:   Wii works but doesn't work. white writing
-------------------------------------------
hi my wii works fine for aout 5 minutes. but after that it messes up and the the screen goes black with white writing coming up saying,
please eject the disc and turn off the power system. look in the operation for details.
now i've done all of this but it repeats its self.
im not sure what's wrong.
if you have had the same problem or might know what it is and how to resolve it please reply to this!
thanks

Author:   bbb7002004
Date:   Oct 04, 10 at 2:43pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Wii works but doesn't work. white writing
I assume this only happens when you start it with a disc in the disc drive. Have you tried another disc or just turning it on first and then inserting a disc?

Its most likely that your Wii's lens is dirty. The best option would be to purchase a Wii lens cleaner, available at most places that sell games (Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.) and follow the instructions it comes with to clean your lens. Otherwise, you'll have to contact Nintendo support and most likely send your Wii in for cleaning and/or lens replacement.

Author:   DXD
Date:   Oct 04, 10 at 11:20pm (PST)
Unless the particular game you're dealing with is Super Smash Bros Brawl(which happens to be a double-layered disc which succumbs to the slightest amount of dust on the lens as opposed to regular discs), all it should take is a quick cleaning with the official kit from Nintendo, as was mentioned.

Date:   Oct 13, 10 at 3:27pm (PST)
quote bbb7002004
I assume this only happens when you start it with a disc in the disc drive. Have you tried another disc or just turning it on first and then inserting a disc?

Its most likely that your Wii's lens is dirty. The best option would be to purchase a Wii lens cleaner, available at most places that sell games (Gamestop, Best Buy, etc.) and follow the instructions it comes with to clean your lens. Otherwise, you'll have to contact Nintendo support and most likely send your Wii in for cleaning and/or lens replacement.
ok, i got a disk cleaner and it cleaned the drive but disk's still dont work.
it could be the lens is broken but it works for a while so i dont think it is.
the batteries are low if that'd make a difference?

Author:   Akira_EX
Date:   Oct 13, 10 at 3:40pm (PST)
Try cleaning the lens again.

Also check the game discs themselves and see if there are any scratches, etc.

Author:   DXD
Date:   Oct 13, 10 at 7:31pm (PST)
You could have picked up a lemon, like I did, and have to send in the disc drive to be replaced since none of my discs would even attempt to read before this was done.

I suppose certain systems simply have a 3-4 year lifespan.

Date:   Oct 22, 10 at 9:32am (PST)
quote DXD
You could have picked up a lemon, like I did, and have to send in the disc drive to be replaced since none of my discs would even attempt to read before this was done.

I suppose certain systems simply have a 3-4 year lifespan.

how much does it cost to have it replaced?
i'll try cleaning it again

Author:   Superstar
Date:   Oct 22, 10 at 10:31am (PST)
Does the disc drive make noises during loading screens?

I've been having this problem for a while now, and I find that it helps to shut it off at the mains for a while before trying it again.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.