Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Donkey Kong Country Returns - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1542049-donkey-kong-country-returns/

Author:   Pwnige
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 5:33pm (PST)
Subject:   Donkey Kong Country Returns
-------------------------------------------
Retro Studios new side scrolling game.

Shipping holiday 2010.

Author:   Gotenks
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 5:57pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Donkey Kong Country Returns
Pwnige, I still can't believe that quote is in your sig.

This is possibly the game I am looking forward to the most. I wanted a classic Donkey Kong game and it looks like we're getting that. I'll be picking this up when it is released for sure.

Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:04pm (PST)
quote Gotenks
Pwnige, I still can't believe that quote is in your sig.
I've had that for so long now. I'd almost completely forgot about it.

So many good times playing the original country games, and this has me excited too.

Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:07pm (PST)
I've actually been replaying the DKC games on my Virtual Console. The soundtrack for each game are simply great. Didn't David Wise leave Rare not to long ago as well? Could we maybe have him on board to help with a good soundtrack?

Either way the game still looks great.

Author:   dragonclawz
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:08pm (PST)
Wow I am so excited. The Country games were always some of my favorites. Lots of great childhood memories. I was hoping that they would do a game like this again one day. Definitely getting it when it comes out.

Graphics look amazing.

Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:09pm (PST)
quote Gotenks
The soundtrack for each game are simply great. Didn't David Wise leave Rare not to long ago as well? Could we maybe have him on board to help with a good soundtrack?
So many people have left Rare recently I can't keep track. The teaser has the classic music in it, so anything can happen.

Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:12pm (PST)
He did leave Rare last year. So it's a possibility that Nintendo could get him back.

Author:   Ground
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:16pm (PST)
WII GAME OF THE FOREVER

Author:   KirbyHyrule
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:31pm (PST)
Hmm never really got into Donkey Kong, but this looks good I guess.

Author:   The Living Angelus
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 7:06pm (PST)
As I said in the E3 thread, as soon as I heard the music (which is how Reggie introduced it) I immediately got goose bumps on my arm. Then to see the footage to confirm what I was thinking was mind blowing, especially to see it back in a 2D side-scroller.

While I liked Donkey Kong 64, it just wasn't the same as what was established with the DKC series on the SNES. It just fell into that void after Super Mario 64 where all the famous characters were getting thrown into their own 3D world titles. Some were hits (Zelda: OOT, the introduction of Banjo-Kazooie) and some were misses (Megaman 64, Earthworm Jim 64, etc). Donkey Kong 64 fell in-between. While it was a good game, it certainly wasn't a great game, nor was it terrible either.

I can't wait to own this later this year. Could care less if people all over that G4 stream were whining that Nintendo is only recycling old characters into new games and didn't offer anything new (uh, hello, 3DS that does not require glasses. Eat that Sony! lol), I'm a fan of these old characters and AM glad they're finally getting a new title. I mean look at Kirby, it's been, what 10 years since his last console title? Too long.....

Author:   CarRamrod
Date:   Jun 16, 10 at 1:06am (PST)
This is gonna be awesome. I'm definitely getting this on its launch day. Who cares if Nintendo is recycling characters, at least the games are good. Why don't they bitch about Microsoft doing that with Halo and Gears of War, those games have been hammered into the ground like no other.

Author:   DragoniteBallZ
Date:   Jun 18, 10 at 5:21pm (PST)
OH MY GOD. I played this at E3 and jizzed my pants on the spot. It is a lot of fun. It has 2 player coop. Well if you don't know, The Donkey Kong Country series was the greatest series of Donkey Kong games ever. It's not like the silly bongo games we've been seeing since Rare left Nintendo. This was a straight up epic adventure back in the SNES-N64 days. I really do hope they bring a good soundtrack too though. That indded was one of the things I loved most about the DKC games.

Author:   LZ Schneider
Date:   Jun 18, 10 at 5:26pm (PST)
What games is Rare most known for?

Author:   Noraf45
Date:   Jun 18, 10 at 5:51pm (PST)
Goldeneye
Perfect Dark
Banjo-Kazooie (series)
Donkey Kong 64 (They did Country series too)
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Diddy Kong Racing
Killer Instinct
Blast Corps
Jet Force Gemini
Star Fox Adventures

Those are the ones that spring to mind. I'm sure there are others that I'm overlooking and should be ashamed for not mentioning.

Edit: A quick look at that one wiki reveals these gems from my childhood:

R.C. Pro-Am
Wizards & Warriors (series)
Battletoads
Cabal
Snake, Rattle, & Roll

Author:   Ech0ez
Date:   Jun 19, 10 at 12:28pm (PST)
Unless I'm mistaken aren't the only games to Retro Studio's name the Metroid Prime titles? Will be interesting to see how they handle a side-scrolling Platformer.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.