Neoseeker.com Forum Thread: Just bought a wii - page 1

reprinted from http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/
original thread: http://www.neoseeker.com/forums/32039/t1541244-just-bought-wii/

Author:   ryboh
Date:   Jun 13, 10 at 5:38pm (PST)
Subject:   Just bought a wii
-------------------------------------------
Hi, i recently bought i wii and i only have Wii Sports Resort for it and i was just wondering what games to buy. I will have online on it sometimes also. so please post any suggestions of any good games Thanx

Author:   Ech0ez
Date:   Jun 13, 10 at 8:08pm (PST)
Subject:   re: Just bought a wii
Genre preferences?

Date:   Jun 14, 10 at 4:13pm (PST)
I normaly prefere adventure/ shooters and racing games but im open for any type of game since im new to the wii

Date:   Jun 14, 10 at 4:23pm (PST)
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Ōkami
Red Steel 2
Resident Evil 4
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

If 'shooters' also includes light-gun/rail shooters then:

Dead Space Extraction
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
The House of the Dead: Overkill

And others genres;

Platformers
A Boy and His Blob
De Blob
Klonoa
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Action
Madworld
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes
No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle

Horror
Calling
Cursed Mountain
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Fighting
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Action/RPG/MMO
Monster Hunter Tri

Date:   Jun 14, 10 at 5:42pm (PST)
Thanks, ill probably buy Super Mario Galaxy and Monster hunter and house of the dead aswell

Author:   CarRamrod
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 3:18am (PST)
I read that Calling and Cursed Mountain are both terrible. That's according to the IGN reviews I read on each.

Author:   Ready Start L_Arc
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:23am (PST)
quote Ech0ez
Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Ōkami
Red Steel 2
Resident Evil 4
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess

If 'shooters' also includes light-gun/rail shooters then:

Dead Space Extraction
Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles
The House of the Dead: Overkill

And others genres;

Platformers
A Boy and His Blob
De Blob
Klonoa
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2

Action
Madworld
Muramasa: The Demon Blade
No More Heroes
No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle

Horror
Calling
Cursed Mountain
Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Fighting
Super Smash Bros Brawl
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

Action/RPG/MMO
Monster Hunter Tri
A lot of these games are very niche. Just recommend the ones that are obvious. Such as anything with Mario, Zelda, or other Nintendo mascots lol.

Author:   DXD
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:25am (PST)
Start off with the first two Super Mario Galaxies and let your heart take you from there.

Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 6:41am (PST)
quote JonnyPotSmoker
I read that Calling and Cursed Mountain are both terrible. That's according to the IGN reviews I read on each.
You still use IGN for reviews?

I've only heard good things about Calling from a few other people so I honestly can't comment on that one myself, but at least in the case of CM the majority of the complaints are basically the fact it's an old-school Survival Horror and that it isn't Dead Space/FEAR/Doom 3. The only legitimiate complaints I've read so far out of around 10 reviews are the rather poor story, and the finnicky controls, everything else is basically personal taste or complaints about the genre itself. Besides that using review scores as an argument for or against any sort of arguably niche game is silly since by nature they're pretty love/hate, especially if you only plan to bring up a single review; especially if like in this case the game did recieve mixed reviews.

All that being said it's up to the original poster to do some research on the games people suggest and pick out the ones he thinks he'd like, if he just wanted review scores he could just go to Metacritic.

quote Ready Start L_Arc
A lot of these games are very niche. Just recommend the ones that are obvious. Such as anything with Mario, Zelda, or other Nintendo mascots lol.
Which would be pretty pointless since that's basically what every single person here is going to tell him regardless; may as well draw awareness to the niche titles as well if I'm listing games anyway. Besides that they're pretty clearly broken up by genre and if someone decides to look into the game I'd expect they'd be intelligent enough to do some research and see whether or not the game appeals to their tastes; niche or not.

Author:   Dark Dom
Date:   Jun 15, 10 at 7:06am (PST)
quote JonnyPotSmoker
I read that Calling and Cursed Mountain are both terrible. That's according to the IGNorant reviews I read on each.
Fixed that up for you. That being said, Calling does look pretty crap... Haven't played it though, so dunno. The Grudge shouldn't be missed if you can get it cheap enough (cheap enough = lower than the price of a DVD) since it's worth some lols. Also Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is GREAT, but it's not particularly scary.

Ech0ez list is top-class, I agree with everything he recommended (except Calling and Cursed Mountain, haven't played either YET) and he has an absolutely amazing taste in video games. I suggest you play everything he has on that list, gogo.

Author:   CarRamrod
Date:   Jun 18, 10 at 3:08pm (PST)
I just use IGN for coverage on upcoming games. I look at the closing comments on their reviews but I generally don't agree with their reviews, they usually overrate hyped up games and underrate many others.

Author:   meman887
Date:   Jun 20, 10 at 3:20am (PST)
quote JonnyPotSmoker
Well to be practically honest Gamespot UK got it bang on for Calling in there review, but the only thing they kind of messed up on in there review is the ability to skip chapters that you have already done, well for the PAL version at least you have to replay through them again.

I'm only forcing myself to play it over just so I can see the rest of the endings and once I have done that, I'm getting rid of the game.

Anyway overall avoid buying Calling.

Author:   5Day
Date:   Jun 24, 10 at 11:45pm (PST)
The CoD series is good. Mario Kart is good.

Like ryboh said, it depends on your preferences.

Author:   KirbyHyrule
Date:   Jun 25, 10 at 12:39am (PST)
There is also a dead space game on the wii for the horror catageory.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl if very fun with friends, Mario kart if you like racing games, and the best adventure games are Zelda Twilight Princess, and Monster Hunter Tri.

Author:   DXD
Date:   Jun 25, 10 at 1:02am (PST)
Motion-controlled FPS's are beyond entertaining on this console, so purchasing Red Steel 1 and 2 would be a pretty smart move if you're a fan of this genre.

Copyright Neo Era Media, Inc. 1999-2014.
All Rights Reserved.